Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I was wondering what everyone thinks is the cheapest wheel and drag radial combo using rear Brembo's. Looking for a bolt up wheel not needing a spacer.

·
Premium Member
562 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Are you looking for 17" or would 18" work?
Been looking for these as well not hard but looking. Seems like the Vette replicas should work but no one has an answer that I have seen yet. and since I am not home its a pain hope this nets an answer.

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Was thinking about 18" because I don't think too many 17" wheels will clear Brembos

·
Fuel Low
506 Posts
Are you looking for 17" or would 18" work?
Been looking for these as well not hard but looking. Seems like the Vette replicas should work but no one has an answer that I have seen yet. and since I am not home its a pain hope this nets an answer.
I'm running a 17" C5 replica and I have to use a spacer or else the rim bangs the bottom part of the control arm. I don't have any issues using a spacer, and it was only like $10 for some generic Mr. Gasket universal spacer.

The wheels were used and only cost me $75 for the pair. I'm using cheap 555Rs with pretty good success now that I've found that they actually hook - you just have to do a generous burnout.

Edit: I don't have Brembos

·
Super Moderator
4,913 Posts
From what I have seen the Drag DR-37 is the cheapest wheel to clear brembos. Its the route I plan to go with I do get a drag set.

·
Chevrolet Performance Par
711 Posts
I picked up a pair of Corvette GS from wheels for 100 each. 18x9.5
They clear the calipers just fine and should fit a 285 NT05r just fine.
-Greg

·
'Mod'erator
4,892 Posts
I went with a DRAG DR 49 18X9 rim to with a 265 MT ET street II DR to fit over the brembos. 10lbs easch wheel weight savings over my 20x10 with 285 street setup. I didn't want to run a replica rim or some Vette take offs so I went with these. The offset is perfect as they face of the rim/tire sits exactly where my 20s sit. I didn't want to be sunk in at all out back.

I like the 9in rim because it is lighter than a 9.5, and allows you to run a wide variety of tires. I went with 265's because they are lighter, and if you have the right tire compound they will hook fine. I've seen guys get into the 10s with this tire so it was a no brainer. Plus they don't require huge burn outs so I should get a decent amount of passes out of them. I considered going with a nitto, but they seem to be to hit or miss when you get up there in power, and frankly the faster guys don't use them. I spent about $1000 for my setup with mounting and balancing.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
We should sticky one of these drag radial vs brembo threads.

That being said, I have TSW Nurburgrings with a 265 M/T on them...also have a Drag DR37 that I was going to put the M/T's on originally.

·
Registered
362 Posts
From what I have seen the Drag DR-37 is the cheapest wheel to clear brembos. Its the route I plan to go with I do get a drag set.
Not sure those will work for a drag set up 7.5 width. The DR-49 Yeti has would be a good option but a bit more in price.

2StepsAhead- you said you have the DR37? is it in a different width I only saw the 7.5 But I like the look of it better than the 49

***Edit just saw the DR37 in 18x8.5. would the et street 265 still fit that rim though or does it need at least the 9"

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Yeah I have the drag dr37 in a 18x8.5 all around for snow tires and now I just put tsw's on the back for the radials. Google element wheels or discount tire, they should both carry them.

·
Chevrolet Performance Par
711 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts