Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took off the Rotofab, cleaned the outer TB then started the car so I could open the butterfly to clean the inside. After a couple seconds of trying to open the butterfly, car stalled. Tried to restart the car and a no go.
Put the Rotofab back on, plugged everything back in, car started and runs fine but now I have a check engine light. Any thoughts?

Thanks

·
Registered
147 Posts
you need a code reader my friend

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm running Livernois, probably to late to have anyone run my codes.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
You cannot try to open tb while running. It will set codes. Sometimes it even ruins the tb. I have replaced several from customers trying to do their own tb cleaning. Engine must be off and key off. Hopefully you didn't make junk. Try disconnecting battery cables for a while. It didn't go into Limp mode did it?

Sent from my fresh lubed iPhone

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Ok, I went out and disconnected the negative cable from the battery. Let it sit for awhile and see what happens.
Not sure what "limp" mode is but when I turn the key on (not start), it goes through that 100% complete check thing and then starts fine, seems to idle fine, just giving me the check engine light.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hopefully you didn't make junk.
What should I look for to see if I ruined the TB?

I just disconnected the negative cable, will let it sit for 30 min and then go reconnect and start to see if I still get the engine light.

I'll take it out and run it for a couple of minutes, anything to check for?

·
Premium Member
4,509 Posts
The TB will reset and run a relearn procedure at ignition turn on (no engine running). It takes about 30 sec to do a run through. But it will *not* initiate this self test *if* there is a fault assigned against it (along with the mil light). There are a batch of fault codes listed that would prevent this from happening.
You will just have to verify *what* fault code or codes are logged in the ECM. Then clear them, at which time the TB should start its relearn function as above. It could take 2 or 3 attempts at this (fine tuning itself). Plus driving and letting it go into coast down also allows for added retuning the TB.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do I have to get my fault codes read and cleared at "Autozone" or am I able to read/clear them on my own on the cars computer?

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Took off the Rotofab, cleaned the outer TB then started the car so I could open the butterfly to clean the inside. After a couple seconds of trying to open the butterfly, car stalled. Tried to restart the car and a no go.
Put the Rotofab back on, plugged everything back in, car started and runs fine but now I have a check engine light. Any thoughts?

Thanks
Very bad idea. You realize that will make the engine go WOT. With key off, you can still manually move the throttle blade.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the replies everyone. I unplugged the battery last night, plugged back in this morning and started the car with no check engine light. Drove the 15min to work w/ no problems and no light. At lunch today, I'll take it out and get on it a little bit to make sure it runs ok at WOT.
Lesson learned!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts