Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Searched older posts abt this subject but inconclusive. I recently had the O-ring changed out on the pick up tube, but now having COL on dash. It only comes on at idle and goes away when given throttle. Could these two events be related?

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
Yes.

·
Premium Member
9,480 Posts
They could be related or coincidental. If the o-ring isn't seated properly on the oil pickup tube it could result in a loss of oil pressure. The check oil light illuminates when the oil level and/or oil pressure is too low. Would verify a sufficient oil level. Were the oil and oil filter changed as well?

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
The question is - why was the o-ring replaced ?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They could be related or coincidental. If the o-ring isn't seated properly on the oil pickup tube it could result in a loss of oil pressure. The check oil light illuminates when the oil level and/or oil pressure is too low. Would verify a sufficient oil level. Were the oil and oil filter changed as well?
Yes the oil and filter was changed. Oil was a bit overfilled but I drained some out and now at the top fill level.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The question is - why was the o-ring replaced ?
I needed to replace the leaking oil pan gasket so I thought I might as well change out the O-ring as well being I have 121k on the clock. The mechanic who did the job insisted he did everything right. Lol

·
Premium Member
9,480 Posts
Another possibility could be an incorrect oil filter. Did you ask the mechanic as to why the check oil light illuminated upon replacing the oil pan gasket and o-ring?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Another possibility could be an incorrect oil filter. Did you ask the mechanic as to why the check oil light illuminated upon replacing the oil pan gasket and o-ring?
I used a new old stock PF48 I had laying around. He said he's sure he did everything right. I was thinking maybe the oil pressure sensor went bad but I changed that 2 years ago. He probably doesn't want to redo the job, not for free anyway.

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
Car goes into shop without this issue. Leaves shop with issue. Pretty cut and dry.
Was the correct oring used? What is the actual oil pressure idling and cruising?

Reactions: johncampanale

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Car goes into shop without this issue. Leaves shop with issue. Pretty cut and dry.
Was the correct oring used? What is the actual oil pressure idling and cruising?
Could it be a throttle body issue? The guy is adamant he did everything by the book.

·
Registered
2,813 Posts

·
Registered
PBM GXP M6 Onyx/Red, 51k, stock. Sold: Original owner 09 GT PBM Onyx 70k
118 Posts
The guy can insist he did everything by the book, and maybe he did, but if he didn't get that O-ring absolutely, positively, seated perfectly, you end up with this issue.

·
Super Moderator
519 Posts
Here is what I did to test the o-ring leaking on my car.

While idling with poor oil pressure, jack the back of the car WAY up. This will submerge the front of the pickup tube where the o-ring is leaking and it should suck oil around it instead of air. If you jack it up and the pressure comes up, it's leaking.

·
Premium Member
9,480 Posts
In doing such, be sure to chock the front wheels.

Reactions: 383_Stroker

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here is what I did to test the o-ring leaking on my car.

While idling with poor oil pressure, jack the back of the car WAY up. This will submerge the front of the pickup tube where the o-ring is leaking and it should suck oil around it instead of air. If you jack it up and the pressure comes up, it's leaking.
I did this test on an incline and low oil pressure went away. Car is back at the shop to redo the O-ring. He said if the low oil pressure goes away, he will comp the repair. If it doesn't, I'll have to pay again. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Reactions: 383_Stroker

·
Registered
2009 GT, Black
1,282 Posts
Is he using the single bolt or two when he connects the oil pickup tube? There are plenty of choices out there to help ensure a good fit. Here is a good example. When I took my engine apart, there was only one bolt holding the pickup tube from the factory. I installed a similar solution to the link below for a perceived better connection.

·
Registered
2009 GT, Black
1,282 Posts
Reactions: lastcall190

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Is he using the single bolt or two when he connects the oil pickup tube? There are plenty of choices out there to help ensure a good fit. Here is a good example. When I took my engine apart, there was only one bolt holding the pickup tube from the factory. I installed a similar solution to the link below for a perceived better connection.

Thanks for the advice. Did you have any issues after installing one of these?

·
Registered
2009 GT, Black
1,282 Posts
Nope, about 2500 miles on the car since I finished my mods last November. It was recommended to me by GT Drew if I remember correctly.

Good luck..

·
Premium Member
9,480 Posts
For what it's worth, Melling manufacturers M29500 oil pump pickup tube bracket. Details. High Performance; No Warranty Uses The Unused Bolt Hole In The Oil Pump For Additional Clamping Force; Does Not Fit Pickup Tube w/ Welded Flange GM Part Number 12608593; Does Not Fit Pickup Tubes w/ Two Bolt Hole Flanges. Sure they are other similar designs available as well.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts