Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Backing up the last reports from a few months back, General Motors appears ready to bring back the only truly exciting product Pontiac had to offer, the G8. Now with Pontiac dead the car will be badged as a Chevy (likely wearing the Caprice name), but the important part is that it will be based on the rear-drive Holden Commodore platform, just like the G8 was.

The latest rumor comes from the LA Auto Show, where a senior engineer told an Australian outlet that the plan to bring back the rear-drive V8-powered sedan was under consideration for the retail market. It should be noted that currently GM offers the long wheelbase Holden Commodore-based Chevy Caprice as a Police-only vehicle in the U.S.

An unnamed source then reportedly commented that the car has been approved by GM's product planning folks.

With the platform already sold here in the past, federalizing the car wouldn't be difficult either. Now wouldn't a V8-powered 6-speed manual Chevy Caprice performance sedan be just the perfect car for the upcoming Detroit Auto Show?

More: Chevy Rumored to Sell Rear-Drive Holden Sedan in America: The Pontiac G8 Returns? on AutoGuide.com

·
Juice Addict
469 Posts
the only truly exciting product Pontiac had to offer, the G8.

I love my G8 and all, but a lot of folks considered the Solstice GXP pretty exciting. The rest was blech though.

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
:rolleyes:When I see them on the lots is when I will believe.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I read that article from Motortrend too....Im still disappointed. It will not be a true G8 unless it is a PONTIAC G8, plan and simple. Do you think for one minute that owners of Camaros would be happy if they market the car under BUICK? GM made a mistake...a HUGE mistake!!

·
Very long member
161 Posts
Southerngirlnc,

"It won't be a true G8 unless it's a Pontiac G8?"

Actually, the Pontiac G8 is (was) a Rebadged Holden Commodore, not a Pontiac grown and developed product. No harm, no foul for GM.

At least they are seeing the error of their ways with ever getting rid of it in the first place and (hopefully) bringing it back.

Again, I'll believe it when I see them on lots, and when I do, make mine a 6.0 6M and I'll be a new car owner once again.

:wink2:

·
Registered
153 Posts
Southerngirlnc,

"It won't be a true G8 unless it's a Pontiac G8?"

Actually, the Pontiac G8 is (was) a Rebadged Holden Commodore, not a Pontiac grown and developed product. No harm, no foul for GM.

At least they are seeing the error of their ways with ever getting rid of it in the first place and (hopefully) bringing it back.

Again, I'll believe it when I see them on lots, and when I do, make mine a 6.0 6M and I'll be a new car owner once again.

:wink2:
Oh, I know the G8 was a rebadge....but if I wanted another G8, I would take a trip "down under" to get one, providing I could afford it...lol!
Im glad that GM is "seeing the error" of their ways but putting under another name, other than PONTIAC, won't be the same. What they need to do is find a way to bring back the Pontiac line....:)

·
Premium Member
1,920 Posts
pontiac, chevy - same difference. at least chevy didn't have the crappy car stigma that pontiac did.

as long as its not a buick ;)

·
Registered
516 Posts
It's true I also heard v-8 only and limited production. No more v6's blow discussions. At least I know what car I will get next. I love this car. The new one will prob be 35k or something. I believe it will be availible next year. I was afraid I was going to need to get a charger. Wohoo. Resale on g8s. Up or down. They are doing great now.

·
Registered
158 Posts
They'll be priced to compete with Chargers. I'm just glad their coming back...more performance parts, mods, etc. for all of us. I just can't wait to see what she looks like with the bowtie out front. Man, I love these cars!

·
Registered
53 Posts
http://www.motortrend.com/features/auto_news/1011_pontiac_g8_to_return_as_a_chevy/index.html

well this deeply disturbs me, i don't want our commodores to be designed in the us!!! this will piss off many Aussies for sure like myself the commodore is our baby doing this will destroy holden,why take the designing part off us were doing so well with it

GM's decision to bring back the Pontiac G8 as a Chevy is a good-news, bad-news story for its Australian subsidiary, Holden. After decades of ignoring the Australians' engineering efforts, it seems Detroit is about to embrace the Zeta rear drive architecture. But for cost reasons it is likely GM will move further development of the architecture for next-gen Zeta-based cars to Detroit, putting the future of its Australian engineering facility in doubt.

·
What Would Jesus Drive?
1,563 Posts
When I first read this, I was pretty excited, then I realized, if GM brings it as a Chevy, my car is seriously going to lose it's uniqueness factor. Lots of people will swap out the grill for the Holden version, rebadge the rear, and walla, Holden Commodore. I like the idea of more performance parts, but I hope they don't just change the grill. Maybe it will be time to switch my car over to an HSV GTS front end, and fenders.

·
G8 GT - Sports and Pre Pg
532 Posts
Who designed what?

http://www.motortrend.com/features/auto_news/1011_pontiac_g8_to_return_as_a_chevy/index.html

well this deeply disturbs me, i don't want our commodores to be designed in the us!!! this will piss off many Aussies for sure like myself the commodore is our baby doing this will destroy holden,why take the designing part off us were doing so well with it
Well, I don't know who designed what, but there are some very dated features in the G8 interior that shouldn't never been introduced in an American branded car with an MSRP over $30K. I love my car for it's strengths, and ignore its flaws. But I still have to recognize those flaws. The interior's poor trim fit and finish (much of which was carried over from the Commodores) and outdated styling is very notable. The goofy Atari gage was just bizarre. The primitive glove box door and lock are on par with a Yugo. If these same mistakes are carried over to the to the Caprice with a $35K+ price, the car will fail to the Charger (as mean as it looks) or even the G35 (even though it has its own problems).

·
Registered
53 Posts
Well, I don't know who designed what, but there are some very dated features in the G8 interior that shouldn't never been introduced in an American branded car with an MSRP over $30K. I love my car for it's strengths, and ignore its flaws. But I still have to recognize those flaws. The interior's poor trim fit and finish (much of which was carried over from the Commodores) and outdated styling is very notable. The goofy Atari gage was just bizarre. The primitive glove box door and lock are on par with a Yugo. If these same mistakes are carried over to the to the Caprice with a $35K+ price, the car will fail to the Charger (as mean as it looks) or even the G35 (even though it has its own problems).
thats what happens when gm rebadges an aussie car,we like different things from you guys,best thing about a commodore they last for ever mines 17 years old an still going strong

i dont want gm to take away something from holden they've had for 30 years and turn it to crap,the commodore is the only real holden left now all the rest are re badged crap boxes,ve2 is a vast improvement on ve1,your most likely to get the ve2 now,im really going to hate it when gm ruins commodore thats the day i'm going ford

1 - 20 of 94 Posts