Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried doing a search and didnt really find anything on this. I have seen as steering wheels and air bags go for a fairly decent price(300ish for wheel and bag). Seems like a cheaper alternative to the higher priced GXP steering wheel. I might give this a shot by purchasing a wheel, air bag from an ss or caprice/ppv and swap out the bag emblems. Any input would nice. It's not a huge savings but I kinda like the ss wheel better anyway

·
Registered
645 Posts
I could be completely wrong, but I can't imagine that the electronics on the SS wheel would work on the G8. Plus, although it's a very nice wheel, I don't think it matches the G8 interior at all.

·
CCG8 Member
1,599 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
The CANBUS on the G8 is generated by the IPC. What I suggest might be possible is to map the buttons to the connections going from the SWC to the IPC. Or if you prefer, you could use an Arduino or similar to send the CANBUS messages directly and bypass the IPC. Either way would be interesting to see how it works out. I am of course assuming that there's no CANBUS module directly in the SS SWC. I don't have access to the wiring schematic to determine that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts