Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Next year’s Daytona 500 will mark the return of the Chevy SS sedan, powered by a V8 engine and sending plenty of torque to the rear wheels.

The big race will see the Super Sport revealed in production form, while racing versions take to the track in the NASCAR classic.

According to a report out of Australia, the new Chevy SS will be revealed simultaneously with the next generation Holden Commodore, on which its based. The current Commodore did underpin the Pontiac G8, which had modest success in America, despite tremendous praise by enthusiasts and the automotive media. The car would likely have lived on though, were it not for the global economic collapse, GM’s filing for bankruptcy protection and the shuttering of the Pontiac brand.

Fans who can’t wait for the return of the rear-drive Chevy sedan will have to do just that, however, with the Daytona 500 not scheduled until Thursday, February 21st of 2013.

Once it’s revealed, getting one won’t be easy either, as Holden chairman and managing director Mike Devereux, has said just a few thousand of the cars will be delivered to the US.
Read the full story on the Chevy SS Debut at AutoGuide.com

·
Premium Member
1,646 Posts
"Return of the Chevy SS"? When was it ever here in the first place?

I hate it when automakers purposely limit supply like they're suggesting they will. If GM can sell 10,000 of 'em, why not do that? CAFE, I guess?

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
limited edition run, gxp-like awesomeness for the bridge generation?

I might get one. Just to throw around and do a video on the differences between that and the ol' g8.

Would be cool to have one rental SS or something that we all share to "test objectively" with.

--zep

·
Premium Member
1,646 Posts
It's a Pontiac, of course the G8's better (that's right, Chevy slap down LOL).

I wonder if GM's sold the first year's worth already? Getting one just to "throw around" might be hard to do, according to the Holden hype...

·
Car RamRod
1,795 Posts
I hope it looks different at the showrooms...the NASCAR version looks like the taurus, or the camry, or the lumina, et al.

·
Premium Member
1,646 Posts
I'm sure it will, "stock cars" don't really look like stock cars anymore (just one of the reasons motorsports do not interest me in the slightest).

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
STICKERS!

v8supercars who use the VE body shell, although modified to accomidate race cage and layout, have working doors, exterior mirrors, working headlights and brake lights, and even have a flash-to-pass feature on some of the cars.

At least it feels so much more real than the nascar cars that differentiate different "body styles" by the stickers that they put on the "one size fits all" paradigm.

Maybe nascar will be changing that?

Would there really be a Toyota Camry body style in nascar? Should it be required to be a front wheel drive racecar? Oh that would be fun.

·
Premium Member
1,646 Posts
IMO a "stock car race" should feature stock cars: yes, have fire suppression, gutted interiors, and a roll cage, but they should have the same motor, suspension, etc. that you get from the factory. Until that happens, I'll be indifferent at best towards NASCAR.

·
Car RamRod
1,795 Posts
Anyone remember the particular year that Nascar went away from requiring the correct body style? I remember the mid 80s were still the correct style.

·
I yam what I yam
619 Posts
I'm not sure of the year when stock cars no longer looked like stock cars.
But I do remember when Stock Car racing used stock cars for the racing.

Same can be said for Funny Cars in drag racing. They no longer look anywhere near the cars they are supposed to represent.

But I see GM has lied to us once again. Remember when they dumped Pontiac and said the G8 would not be coming back as a Chevy? Well then what is this SS? ;)

·
Premium Member
4,248 Posts
it will be nice when people ask what kind of car is that. it will be fun to say, you know the new chevy ss. its a better looking version of that car with more power(mine will be more powerful by then.)

·
Registered
444 Posts
I'm not sure of the year when stock cars no longer looked like stock cars.
But I do remember when Stock Car racing used stock cars for the racing.

Same can be said for Funny Cars in drag racing. They no longer look anywhere near the cars they are supposed to represent.

But I see GM has lied to us once again. Remember when they dumped Pontiac and said the G8 would not be coming back as a Chevy? Well then what is this SS? ;)
Automakers lie all the time. I'm so used to it I'm just completely numb when they say things anymore.

·
Cars are my hobby...
1,610 Posts
IMO a "stock car race" should feature stock cars: yes, have fire suppression, gutted interiors, and a roll cage, but they should have the same motor, suspension, etc. that you get from the factory. Until that happens, I'll be indifferent at best towards NASCAR.
Could not agree more. When I watch NASCAR, I have issues getting involved. The cars are boosted in performance, then reduce in performance. It's not a skill of driving like a road course, it's a skill of wind efficiencies and team work.

While my Fiancé loves it, I find it boring and hard to get into. If they did what you asked, for them to be a true form of stock, I'd pay more attention.

I mean, how the heck is the Fusion even close to stock? Where are these V8 models? Where are the performance models with manual transmissions?

·
Registered
506 Posts
Not to mention a V8 ToyLet !

·
Premium Member
1,646 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Just read the article in the latest edition of AutoWeek and saw the pic (no camo) on it, and it sure made me miss my G8 GXP. It was 1 year last week that I sold her, and the 2014 Chevy SS got me reminiscing about the GXP.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts