Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Hispanic Causing Panic
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some opinions about the chrome door/window trim. I'd like to paint it to:

1. Match the color of the car or
2. Paint it black to match the color of the rubber trim.

Which one would look better you think?

Black would be easier well because it's black and red I would have to special order the paint, but besides that which would look best?
Or should I just keep it chrome?

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Black. I thought about painting mine, but ended up shelling out the cash to buy the black trim. It totally changes the look of the Panther Black. Removes the bling and gives it a meaner look. I just wish it came this way to begin with.

·
Hispanic Causing Panic
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Black. I thought about painting mine, but ended up shelling out the cash to buy the black trim. It totally changes the look of the Panther Black. Removes the bling and gives it a meaner look. I just wish it came this way to begin with.
Thanks guys...it seems easy enough a mod that purchasing separate ones is money you don't need to spend. With the doors open all you have to do is remove the screws and paint them. Only thing though is that I'd probably have to use a black paint with a satin finish as opposed to a flat or gloss finish.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Black

paint will chip. you need to powder coat them. Also, the one that goes on top holds by one screw and 10 clips which tend to break. And the bottom ones have no screws at all. The genuine black ones are not painted, they have a rubberized finish to them.

http://www.jhp.com.au/g8partsdirect/Moldings.htm

·
Hispanic Causing Panic
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I feel you Monaro but @ $347, I just can't see myself budging to buy it. My family members have always customized their own cars & trucks (namely lowriders) so I'll just turn to them to help me out.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Yes, the upper trim is held on with clips that do tend to break very easily. I broke about 1/3 of them. So, if you plan to take the trim off and re-install it, you will most likely need to order some replacement clips.

The lower trim is very difficult to remove without damaging the attaching clips. Also, the front door panels and side mirrors must be removed in order to accomplish the trim removal.

I thought about painting it, but I felt that over time it would get scraped/scratched and didn't want to deal with re-doing it or touching it up every so often. I took it to a body shop to see what they would charge and they wanted more in paint and labor than it cost to just buy and ship the black moldings.

·
Registered
254 Posts
The replacement trim pieces are seriously overpriced. All that is done to them is a can of PLASTI-DIP is applied to them. The can is about $6 at Home Depot. But if you wish to feed the horse, buy the kit for $397.....

·
A V8 life...
488 Posts
Keeping the chrome thing on my ride. Well at least for now...lol

But really though I think it looks fine just the way it came from GM:)

·
'11 STI Sedan
1,341 Posts
didnt someone use a flat black adhesive or vinyl for the trim recently? looked good.

·
Registered
721 Posts
didnt someone use a flat black adhesive or vinyl for the trim recently? looked good.
Yeah there are few that have, including myself. Trim brite tape works about the best for 95% of the trim. You just aren't able to do the rear curves around the back doors properly. You end up having to use a couple pieces that end up getting overlapped and up close you can tell. Looks kinda cobbled imo.

I'm leaving it on for now, but I need to find another solution. Another member was going to try "plasti-dip"http://www.g8board.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30809&highlight=plasti+dip I'll be curious to see how that turns out.

With the plasti - dip, painting route the trim would probably be best removed. I'm very apprehensive about taking off the trim because I know I'll end up breaking most of the clips. Are these clips commonly carried by GM or are would they take decades to get from Aus?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Agree with jmac on the Trim Brite. I'm in the process of doing it, but I can't get the back curve right. I'm going to try someone's suggestion of using a 2' x 2' matte black vinyl square on that part.

I suppose one day when I have $347 and nothing better to spend it on, I'll by the actual correct pieces.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
10 Participants
LS1_Disciple
Pontiac G8 Forum
A community for Pontiac G8 owners and enthusiasts, for all the information on your Pontiac G8 sedan, G8 GT, G8 V6, and G8 GXP. Discuss performance, tech, engine specs, body kits and more!
Full Forum Listing