Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I frist got the car with the stock wheels the chrome did not bother me and it looked nice on the car. Now that I have Sunken Treasure VMR wheels the chrome trim sticks out like a sore thumb. I know the easiest way to fix it is to just black it out with black out tape or plasti-dip, which I might do. While blacking it out will work it is not the color I would like. If I could do it I would do the trim same as the wheels, I really like the color with the sport red brings out th emetal flake in it, but that would mean taking off the trim and having a shop get as close to the color as possible and painting them. Which I am sure will cost more than I want right now.
I have been trying to think of diffrent ideas for the chrome from different types of metallic tapes down to the mix your own color kit from plasti-dip with their enhancers.
So has any one out there done anything other than black with their chrome trim, what method did you use?:dunno: Just not sure what do other than the safe black out which would be better than the out of place chrome.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Why not take the trim off and have VMR powder coat the trim. Might be pricey, but you'll get an exact match to your wheels.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
534 Posts
I pulled up the pics you posted after you got your wheels on to try to visualize it. I would just black out the trim on the doors and the grille. I think you will drive yourself crazy trying to get that to match and I am not so sure the look will be worth the effort. But black would look good IMO.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nah it isn't gold, the Sunken treasure color is a hard color to describe, in direct sunlight it has a copper color, at night they look black, in the shade it looks like a cross between rootbeer and bronze and if there is grass around it picks up a greenish tint, and when dirty the color is almost a matte brown. No picture I have ever seen has ever come close to showing the depth of this color, most poeple don't like it when I explain but once they see on it the car they change their minds.

I have thought about checking with VMR to see if they could powder coat the trim.
Most likely will just black it all out maybe do the whole black chrome thing so there is some shine....hmmmm that gold carbon fiber stuff is hmmm how to say it ... blingy yeah that is about it. :)

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I need to get some good pictures of the car clean and the wheels shined up, but it seems like I wash the car and rains the next day or snows. Those pictures I hadn't even clean all the crap off the tires good.

·
The Mustang dude
1,430 Posts
Just do black.... seriously. hahhaa I know you love the color, but I think its gonna look like crap otherwise.

·
Premium Member
7,208 Posts
Why not take the trim off and have VMR powder coat the trim. Might be pricey, but you'll get an exact match to your wheels.
Yeah, that would be mighty nice. I asked the local wheel powder-coating place the same question about a year ago and they said it would melt the plastic chrome. On the other hand, metal chrome is doable.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
The world is cruel to shiny things /QUOTE]
The great tom petty " king of the hill " lol.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts