Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have removed my engine cover (I like the look better) and its nasty dirty the person that previously owned my car I guess lived on a gravel road. I want to clean it but im affraid of spraying stuff on the coil packs/anything electrical.

My old mustang way of washing the motor.

Get motor warm
Spray 50-50 mix simple green and water all ocer motor and bay
Shut hood for 5 min to let steam and green do its work
Then rinse and repeat as needed
Then wipe down caked on areas and repeat one more time
Then spray turtle wax F21 tire shine on motor (doesnt leave greasy residue)
Then stand back and enjoy.

Note: all rinsing done with low pressure garden hose

Would this method be ok on our motor? I just dont wanna try washing it and end up costing a huge amount to repair anything I wasnt supposed to get wet.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I am more eccentric than most, but I don't ever want any kind of fluid or moisture sprayed into my engine bay. I'm sure there are proven ways of doing it without causing any harm. But the risk still isn't worth it to me given the sensitivity of some of the components. I just try to stay on top of wiping it down the old fashioned way. If you do that on a regular or semi-regular basis, your engine bay will look nice and stay clean.

One thing I would consider though, is using one of those portable car dryers that could blow away any dirt or grime near the surface without having to touch anything. That I would do if I owned such a device.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Just did this two days ago and 2 years ago:

1. Spray gently with garden hose
2. Use cleaning mit with car wash soap and water mix, and wipe all down.
3. Rinse gently with water.
4. Cost $1.00, Beautiful and the GXP LS3 runs and looks perfect.

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
On a cold engine, I soak everything down with simple green. I do not dillute it. Sometimes I use almost a full bottle, don't be stingy. I let it sit for a few minutes and spray it off with a garden hose with the pistol set on shower. I use a sweeping motion back and forth until I am satisfied it is completely rinsed well. Do no spray directly onto a particular area. I do not cover anything. Start the engine to help it dry. I have done it this way a few times and never had any issues. I am like you, I am not a fan of engine covers. Mine has been off for awhile.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Watch the degreaser you choose and use. Some may not be safe for painted surfaces. Also if you are doing this outdoors in the sun. Make sure you don't let the chemical dry on the paint or glass. Some degreasers will stain ,especially if it drys in heat. Oh and try not to soak your hood liner,some guys do and I consider that a little long term roll of the dice. I've been detailing cars for fifteen years now . Others are right ,garden hose will do and don't worry about the electrical. Unless our cars had the spark plugs exposed or if you have a after market alarm ,no worries. You don't have to warm up the car or anything special. Do the motor before you clean the exterior. If the car is hot ,in the sun. Rinse the exterior well to cool it down. Best if done in a shaded area to avoid staining paint. Again it depends on the product. I use a product at work that won't stain no matter what. If you like the gloss look. After you clean it ,take your over the counter armor all to dress it . Air compressor is a nice plus for those hard to reach areas. It your motor is just dusty. Then good old car wash soap and water with a little elbow grease will do. Well good luck. Its not that big a deal to do a motor these days. I learned the hard way on my 83 Cordoba. Flooded her out by not covering distributor cap.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.