Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
08 Pontiac G8 GT
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys, started my dod delete last week. Getting my heads back has been a bit of a struggle since I eneded up needing new intake valves. My car is sitting outside with the hood closed but I've gotten a little rust on the cylinder walls from moisture and there is gunk on the pistons. Is there anyway to safely clean the pistons and cylinder walls? Thanks guys!

·
Registered
111 Posts

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
Get some of the penetrating oil and 0000 fine steel wool to clean off the light surface rust and junk of the piston tops. Then if the engine is not going back together yet. Wipe the cylinders with assembly lube.

Reactions: gwill30

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
If you are too stupid to Not clean it after you wipe it out then that’s a bigger problem. You also have to be smart enough to to not used too much pressure. Ok use the GM plastic scraper. You still will still scratch the bore. Rust between the plastic and the bore. Yes you don’t want to leave any abrasive in the engine, including that rust.

·
Premium Member
08 Pontiac G8 GT
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gotcha. I was going to get some crc gasket remover for the pistons and clean them that way, and wd40 and a non scratch scotchbrite pad for the cylinder walls. Assembly lube on the cylinders walls is a good idea, didn't think of that.

·
Premium Member
5,728 Posts
If you are too stupid to Not clean it after you wipe it out then that’s a bigger problem. You also have to be smart enough to to not used too much pressure...
Has very little to do with stupidity hence the terms novice, newbie, unlearned, unaware, accident, mistake, and etc. Can't fabricate these things and someone(s) thought it necessary to create these words a long time ago and place them in the dictionary. Perchance since no one is infallible and everyone makes poor decisions whether due to being in a hurry, lack of knowledge, or reasons unmentioned. The forum is intended as a resource for people to share their knowledge of the G8 and such like. Kudos, congratulations, double golf claps and a standing ovation to anyone already privy to the information in the bulletin. Hopefully, it's of use to someone. Heck, General Motors found it worthwhile to create/acknowledge the bulletin which should speak for itself.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Here’s my suggestion to you. I’ve used this method several times successfully. Important: only clean one piston at a time.
1. Bring the piston up the top.
2. Plug the ajoining cylinders to keep crap out of them.
3. Have a small shop vacuum available preferably one you’ll never use on your interior.
4. Scrape the carbon off of the piston. 5. Use the vacuum to collect all of it. Pay a lot of attention to the space around the piston to the upper ring. Get it all.
6. Rotate the engine so the cylinder is about half way down.
7. Vacuum again and wipe the cylinder walls down with a clean rag.
8. Rotate the engine so the piston is all the way down.
9. Repeat step 7.
10. Repeat all of this for all of the cylinders.
11. Wipe each clean cylinder with fresh motor oil or assembly lube.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts