Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently noticed that I don't have any properly chilled air coming from the two passenger side vents in my 2009 with dual zone climate control. If I set the control to 'C' with the AC on (not in automatic control mode), the driver side is cold while the passenger side remains at roughly ambient temperature. In dual zone control, setting the passenger side to 'C' doesn't make it any colder, but turning it to hot does warm it up to where it should be, so it seems that the blend actuator is operating. There is also full airflow, so I don't think it's an issue of a plugged portion of the evaporator. It just comes out of the vent at a temperature where it feels like the AC simply isn't on.

I've noticed somewhat similar issues in other posts, but has anyone else had this same issue? I'm going to try to sync the blend actuators, but I'd be interested in any additional feedback.

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
I want to say that the designed positioning of the driver an passenger mix /blend valves may have put the priority for cold air drawn off the evaporator in the drivers favor. If the blower fan sends air across the evaporator evenly, an the ice cold refridgerent enters the evaporator on the left side an exits on the right side (an you are low on system refrigerant), the blower fan may have pulled off most of the cold air capability for the driver an leaving next to nothing for the passenger side to utilize .Maybe they wanted the driver to have the best an last chance of getting some cold air (when the system gets low on refrigerant. Sort of like a safety blanket, since that person has command of the gas/steering an braking. I sure seem to remember a few owners having this type of problem, an I believe it always turned out to be low on system refrigerant. After servicing the A/C back to the correct refridgerant quantity, the system returned to normal cooling left an right.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It doesn't seem to be a low refrigerant issue, but I could be wrong. I checked it yesterday, and both the low and high pressure sides seemed about right when the compressor was running, with the high side around 220 psi while stationary. Who knows, though, as I may have inadvertently gotten some air in the system from topping it up in the spring. I'll try running the AC with the driver side on hot and passenger on cold to see if it cools it down with the driver side blend door stopping it from stealing all of the cold.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The driver's side is as cold as I would expect it to be. When setting the driver's side temperature to hot and the passenger's side to cold, it does seem to get ever so slightly colder, but nowhere near as cold as the driver's side.

I checked, though, and noticed that the passenger side actually has a fair bit less airflow (I was incorrect in my original statement). Also, the syncing procedure didn't seem to do anything, unfortunately.

·
Registered
841 Posts
It turned out on my car the drivers side was not as cold as it should be. I just hadn't noticed the change because it was gradual. With a new hose and a refill it's very very cold even in the Houston heat.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, it seemed to be working better today for some reason. Not sure what's up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts