Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Slowly gaining acceptance
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"Like the tree said to the lumberjack, 'I'm stumped'." - Ned Flanders

I bought these seats last summer out of a car that had a front end collision. The pretensioners did go off in that accident, and I replaced them with the pretensioners from my seats when I did the swap. Recently I've noticed that when I come to a stop while driving, I'm feeling a thump from the middle of the driver's seat back in my back. It feels like there is something loose in the pocket on the seat back banging around, but there is nothing in the pocket and there is nothing behind the seat to bump it. The seat is tight in the car, and there is very little movement when I physically shake the seat back. I don't get the impression that anything is physically broken but, what could be loose?

·
Premium Member
4,202 Posts
I had a popping sound in my drivers seat that would sound off most every time I removed the back pressure from the seat back. I removed the big seat back plastic cover an found that a very thin black foam like pad (that was glued to that panel) had disintegrated (leaving the sticky glue to attack the metal seat back framework). I'm pretty sure that it was in place to act as a noise cushion between it and the metal structure of the seat itself. I scraped all off what was left of the foam stuff an removed all traces of the glue from both surfaces. I then glued in about an 8 x 8" section of rubberized foam material about 1/4" thick.to the plastic seat back. That solved my popping noise. Yours *might* be caused by the same condition, or maybe something related to the adjustable lumbar support mechanism in that seat back. That's the best I can guess on this.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
There are a few things I can think of.

I had a similar experience with the plastic backing. It was (and is still) loose on one of the corners. Sometimes a hard enough stop causes it to slip and it feels like something has hit the seat and makes a thump sound. Whatever the plastic is catching on (perhaps a partially broken clip), it does this on hard stops for me from time to time. So, check to see if the backing is secure.

Otherwise, I wonder if your lumbar support is loose. Can you adjust it properly?

Finally, It might be worth carefully removing the rear plastic covers from the seat rails to see if the bolts are fully secure.

Other than that, I can't think of anything. The separated backing seems legit, though.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I had a popping sound in my drivers seat that would sound off most every time I removed the back pressure from the seat back. I removed the big seat back plastic cover an found that a very thin black foam like pad (that was glued to that panel) had disintegrated (leaving the sticky glue to attack the metal seat back framework). I'm pretty sure that it was in place to act as a noise cushion between it and the metal structure of the seat itself. I scraped all off what was left of the foam stuff an removed all traces of the glue from both surfaces. I then glued in about an 8 x 8" section of rubberized foam material about 1/4" thick.to the plastic seat back. That solved my popping noise. Yours *might* be caused by the same condition, or maybe something related to the adjustable lumbar support mechanism in that seat back. That's the best I can guess on this.
Well, you beat me to it, there. I do suspect the same thing as the most likely.

·
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The lumber adjust is an interesting thought. I went to check it and it was completely "in" (the knob was turned to the stop). I gave it a couple cranks to see if the clunk was slop in the mechanism. If that isn't it, I'll check for the degraded padding, but the location of the lumbar support leads me to think that we're onto something. The seat is definitely bolted in solidly.

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
So I had the same problem a while back. I was certain it was a problem with the lumbar. I found that increasing the lumbar a bit would lessen it for a while, but it kept getting worse, and I kept increasing the lumber to compensate. Eventually I couldn't stand it anymore and I took the back panel off (very easy to do) and found that the above mentioned foam pad had disintegrated, leaving the sticky mess. I duct taped an old microfiber cloth over it and put the panel back on. Problem solved!

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
I have this exact problem for quite a few years now. I will have to give this a look. Thanks for the info.

·
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How do you remove that back panel? I fiddled with it a bit, but I don't want for force anything. Seems like it should slide upward off clips maybe?

·
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
UPDATE

It seems like the lumbar adjustment solved the clunk, but I only went for a brief drive this afternoon.

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Give it time before you declare it solved. I can't remember exactly how it comes off.

·
Registered
861 Posts
When you removed the seat back, were you able to reuse the white push rivets (F-Retainer) or did you have to replace them? A new OEM F-Retainer goes for about $6 to $7 a piece (part no. 92194595)! That's kind of steep for a single pop rivet. If you replaced them, what rivet did you use?

Long story short, I ended up breaking the molded clip on the backside of my seat back where the white rivet slides into when I tried removing the seat back. The back is off, but the white rivets are still attached to the seat frame. I'm wanting to reuse them, but I think they will be trashed once I pry them from the frame. Before I do anything further, I will have to fix the broken molded clip back onto the seatback with epoxy--hopefully it stays on!

Beware: when removing the seatback, don't do it in extreme cold or you will risk breaking the molded clip like I did!

·
Registered
861 Posts
How do you remove that back panel? I fiddled with it a bit, but I don't want for force anything. Seems like it should slide upward off clips maybe?
Here's a diagram showing the seatback.

http://nemigaparts.com/cat_spares/epc/pontiac/2e1-e/14/he14a390/

There are two white F-Retainers at the bottom of the seatback holding it onto the seat frame. I was not very successful in removing mine as the molded clip on the backside broke from pulling it out in real cold weather.

If anyone can better explain how they removed the seatback, that would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
4,202 Posts
^^^^ I had already forgot how I pulled that plastic seat back off. Your post refreshed my memory. One of the white pull/push fasteners separated from the fame in good shape (as one would hope). The other one parted company from the seat back retainer (but no damage to it in my case), and remained attached to the seat frame. I ended up using a pair of 8" wire cutters. I closed the jaws enough to fit nicely under the 2 tiered attaching rings on the fastener, without cutting into the push thru portion (with its feathered flutes). I had to wiggle an pull for quite a while, before that darn fastener would pull free from the metal frame. Some of the feathers were damaged (crushed down). I spent a little time trying to get those feathers to rise back to their normal position, but was only about 50% successful. I put it back into the seat back retainer an slammed the plastic seat back home. It is not 100% solid, but close enough to *not* be a problem, or cause any noise/rattle etc. It would have to get real bad before wanting/having to spend that much money for a couple of crummy plastic fasteners.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Thanks for the quick response! I'll try to gently wiggle them out and see what happens. Otherwise, I'm sure Fastenal or Autozone has a suitable replacement rivet at a fraction of the cost!

·
Premium Member
4,202 Posts
^^^^^^ I found this place (as an option) "clipsanfasteners.com*. Pick the car brand, scroll thru all of their items available. I can see some that might fit the bill for about $4 for 25 (if the dimensions match or are close enough).

And another possible>>>>> "kimballmidwest.com"

·
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
A drive today uncovered that the lumbar adjustment did not solve the problem. Since it is almost 50 here today, my curiosity got the best of me and I decided to give the back panel a good tug. This is what I found.

I assume the foam there is the foam everyone is referring to. Both pins released cleanly from the seat back, and I was able to dig them out of the seat frame with minimal damage. However when I snapped things back together I realized that the pins were compromised enough that one isn't going to stay in the back panel. Since I"m going to have to go back in and do something with this foam, I'll just go ahead and order new pins so I can do the whole job.

·
Premium Member
4,202 Posts
This might give you the opportunity to drive around (with the seat back removed) to see if the problem has been eliminated. If so, you'll now have some time to improvise a possible solution between the seat frame an that plastic seat back cover.

·
Registered
861 Posts
A drive today uncovered that the lumbar adjustment did not solve the problem. Since it is almost 50 here today, my curiosity got the best of me and I decided to give the back panel a good tug. This is what I found.

I assume the foam there is the foam everyone is referring to. Both pins released cleanly from the seat back, and I was able to dig them out of the seat frame with minimal damage. However when I snapped things back together I realized that the pins were compromised enough that one isn't going to stay in the back panel. Since I"m going to have to go back in and do something with this foam, I'll just go ahead and order new pins so I can do the whole job.
Glad it worked out for you and you didn't break the seat back!

·
Registered
861 Posts
^^^^^^ I found this place (as an option) "clipsanfasteners.com*. Pick the car brand, scroll thru all of their items available. I can see some that might fit the bill for about $4 for 25 (if the dimensions match or are close enough).

And another possible>>>>> "kimballmidwest.com"
This is the only one that looks like a real close match (although they are for Fords), but I'll have to see if the measurements are similar once I get one off. Thanks for the links!

Seat Back Panel Xmas Tree Retainer - Ford

1 - 20 of 35 Posts