Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if someone could point me in a direction to fix this issue I have with my vehicle. When I start the car after it sitting overnight it starts with no bars (cubby display) for it's oil pressure and then makes a clicking sound after a couple of seconds. This doesn't affect the car when driving whatever but I would like to get it taken care of nonetheless.

Thank you for viewing my post and I hope that some of you can help me try to find out what's going on with it.

Here is a video of the car during startup (not much to see but you can hear the sound it makes):

·
Premium Member
4,935 Posts
Atari gauges were added to a LY7 engine? A video sound clip from the front of the vehicle would be helpful since it could be at least one or two things happening simultaneously. Otherwise, can't say with some degree of certainty nor accuracy.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Atari gauges were added to a LY7 engine? A video sound clip from the front of the vehicle would be helpful since it could be at least one or two things happening simultaneously. Otherwise, can't say with some degree of certainty nor accuracy.
I believe I put a link to a video with the engine sound in the post, where else would you recommend I take a video of in order to help figure the issue out?

·
Premium Member
4,935 Posts
The front of the vehicle where the serpentine belt and pulleys are located.

·
Premium Member
4,935 Posts
The growling seems to be coming from the belt tensioner pulley. Also, the tensioner assembly appears to have some excess play. If you're able to remove the belt, spin the pulleys by hand (idler and tensioner) to check their operation. Rotation should smooth i.e. lack of noise/binding and the pulleys should spin freely. Many auto parts stores loan serpentine belt removal tools and removing it is pretty easy. Replacing the belt tensioner requires either removing the power steering pump or its pulley since some engineer(s) thought it best to locate one of its mounting bolts behind the power steering pump pulley...gesh.

·
Premium Member
4,935 Posts
Noticed something in the video... the serpentine belt is routed incorrectly and is bypassing the idler pulley (lower) altogether. Reroute the belt and it could remedy the problem and will try to locate a belt routing diagram.

·
Premium Member
4,935 Posts
belt.png

·
Premium Member
4,935 Posts
Suggest addressing the serpentine belt routing and if the problem persist to conduct additional troubleshooting.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Ticking on cold startups - Could be oil pressure taking an extra moment to pump up. Are you using a decent oil filter with an anti-drain back valve?

·
Premium Member
4,935 Posts
...Are you using a decent oil filter with an anti-drain back valve?
Good observation. However, the oil filter on the G8 V6 is a cartridge versus a spin-on. To the best of my knowledge, cartridge filters don't have anti-drain back valves like many of the spin-on filters.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ticking on cold startups - Could be oil pressure taking an extra moment to pump up. Are you using a decent oil filter with an anti-drain back valve?
It's a vehicle I recently purchased so I don't know the specifics on the current oil filter, the car recently is asking for a oil change via the gauge screen but have held off on that if I need to drop the oil pan to change the oil pump seal like one person recommended.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Well, an oil and filter change is nothing compared to dropping the pan. (just saying the obvious)

You can even just change the filter and see what happens.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, an oil and filter change is nothing compared to dropping the pan. (just saying the obvious)

You can even just change the filter and see what happens.
Was holding off as I'd rather clear out the oil out of the oil pan if it needs dropped than mix old and new oil and still need to drop the pan. I'll look at the serpentine belt soon when I get the time and then report back to see if I need to drop the pan or not.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The serpentine belts were checked and it's the same as the diagram, I believe it might have just been a bad angle of the video.

·
Premium Member
4,935 Posts
Very well and stand corrected. Were the pulleys (tensioner and idler) spun by hand as well?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts