Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wanting to do headers, but I'm not sure exactly what I need to do to meet emissions here in Colorado. I was thinking of something like the OBX system but it isn't catted so I am pretty sure it's not going to work. Does anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
494 Posts
They will inspect to see if you have cats, even if you pass without them. So at a minimum it has to look like you have them. I have high flow cats groom Kooks and a cam. No clue if it will pass.
I will put the stock exhaust back on for the test if I fail with the current setup.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
60 Posts
I did my exhaust with long tunes high flow cats flow mastermufflers... did emissions Iin February after the swap on the stock tune passed no problem...

·
Registered
805 Posts
Does it matter what county you're in? I heard that since I'm in El Paso, I don't have emissions. If this is the truth, I'll sell you my Kooks Mids w/HFC's so I can get some DT's or Pypes. :)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's a statewide thing in Colorado I believe. I'm new here myself so I'm not totally sure about all of the rules.

·
Registered
494 Posts
It's not statewide. Go to air care Colorado there is plenty of information. I think it's just Denver, but it might apply to some other areas as well.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ah ok. Well I am in Adams county and it appears that they definitely require it.

·
Registered
268 Posts
My suggestion is wait until your initial registration is done and then as long as you drive by one of the road side testing stations 3 times within a year more than 3 months before your plates are due you don't need to go in for test where they would look. That is of course if it will pass the sniffer test which it should.

·
Premium Member
1,896 Posts
I drove by enough road side van emission testers that my first registration renewal that requires emissions test was waived (automatically passed). I put headers on a week later and I'm not worrying about it until the next test is due (in 2 years I think).

·
Registered
521 Posts
Co has road side tests? That's GAF I know for sure I won't pass you can smell the failure standing 10 feet behind my car. Have
I got pa plates so I don't think they will pull me in. Or how ever they do it.

·
Premium Member
1,896 Posts
If you have PA plates then you don't have to worry about CO emissions laws… but you do have to keep up with your PA registration and any emissions laws they have.

·
Registered
428 Posts
If you have PA plates then you don't have to worry about CO emissions laws… but you do have to keep up with your PA registration and any emissions laws they have.
That will not be possible since PA has inspection. I only know this because my car I just bought still has a brand new sticker in the windshield to go along with my PA temp tag. :)

·
Decepticon
180 Posts
I just went to do emissions today hoping to pass and nope I failed nox was at 2.5 limits 1.5 I have pacesetter long tubes and pace setter high flow cats would this mean the cats are shot and replace with same ones or what should I do I need a bit of help

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
268 Posts
That could be and probably is but I would need to see the rest of the results. I would suggest getting a universal cat welded in on a pipe with flanges on each end. That way you can put an offroad pipe on whenever you aren't getting an emissions test!

send me a PM with that and I can get you an exhaust connection too.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
9 Participants
JWSDenver
Pontiac G8 Forum
A community for Pontiac G8 owners and enthusiasts, for all the information on your Pontiac G8 sedan, G8 GT, G8 V6, and G8 GXP. Discuss performance, tech, engine specs, body kits and more!
Full Forum Listing