Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
OGOC Member
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, Just noticed in my car that the compass in the rear view mirror is stuck on south and a buddy of mine,his is stuck on north. Anybody have any idea how to fix this? Checked the zone for where I live and its 10 so its set properly. Thanx a bunch.

·
Registered
73 Posts
According to my book you have to hold the button for a few seconds until the letters CAL appear then drive in circles at less than 8kmh until it recalibrates. So find a cul-de-sac, watch for kids and traffic or a deserted parking lot and give it a whirl (pardon the pun).

·
OGOC Member
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
According to my book you have to hold the button for a few seconds until the letters CAL appear then drive in circles at less than 8kmh until it recalibrates. So find a cul-de-sac, watch for kids and traffic or a deserted parking lot and give it a whirl (pardon the pun).
Thanx alot,I should have read the manual. Duuhhhh.
A few guys have the issue,I will give it a shot on the weekend.

·
Proud owner
1,196 Posts
I can’t use the calibration procedure per the manual. Mine won’t go into cal mode!

·
Premium Member
4,202 Posts
I know my compass displays the correct heading (which I calibrated several years ago). So I decided to see what kind of display would show up in the mirror using the owners manual info (which I feel is a bit misleading). If you just keep pecking at the up arrow (on the mirror), it will cycle between display an blank (your choice). I then held the arrow button in, an eventually some *very small* letters were added to the left of the current compass heading display (which I decided was the letters CAL in a vertical pattern). As I remember, I continued to hold the arrow button an some more letters were now displayed to the right of the current compass display. The compass display changed over to the existing *zone* number that I had set for my home (that being zone 4). I decided to peck at the arrow an saw it cycle thru the 12 zone regions available. I continued until it was back to zone 4 an paused. It then defaulted back to a given heading (that was now wrong) with just the CAL letters displayed to the left of that now incorrect heading (well crap). It now just stays with that display (would *not* get back out of the CAL mode). So this morning I drove around the block, an no joy. I then drove in a circle (staying below the stated 8 mph), an the compass calibrated itself as written in the manual (an the CAL letters disappeared). The compass is now back to working correctly. For those that may have a current heading fault, either the circuit (within the mirror) has failed outright, or you can try some of the stuff I did to see if it will heal/correct itself.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts