Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We are trying to complile a list of changes to help people better understand the MANY changes that were done to the 2009.5MY Vehicles that mostly go unnoticed now but may matter in the future. If you know of a difference that isnt mentioned here please let us know.

Control Systems:
ECM (GT/GXP Share Same New OS)
TCM (GT/GXP Share Same New OS)
BCM (New 09.5 Calibration with many subsystem changes)
IPC (Totally New Hardware/Calibration NOT Compatible with 08/09)
Radio (New Part # for Face and Unit)
VCIM (New Part to add Bluetooth)
Interior:
Cup Holders Added To Rear Seat Bottom
Engine:
New Valley Plate/Oil Module for L76
New Timing Chain Tensioner
New Water Pump
New Radiator Hoses
New ECM Mounting Bracket
New Camshaft for L76 (Unverified physically but very likely)
New Diameter for foul air passage
Exhaust:
Additional Two Pup Cats Added to Mid Pipe Section for GT/GXP
Body:
Rear fascia retooled for GXP Style Valence (may have happened earlier in 09 not sure)

·
Registered
125 Posts
Great list, though I'd love to see more information for each point. For instance, all the new engine parts: are the new parts better parts, just part number changes, or did GM just find a new, cheaper part that, physically/mechanically/performance-wise, is basically the same as the old parts, etc.

First the 2009 production breakdowns and now this: keep the great information coming :)

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Other than the Bluetooth, I'd like to know what all the changes to the Control Systems did.

·
LS is More
545 Posts
Cool list, thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
What's an IPC?

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
With all these updates it makes me wonder if my 2009 parts were having problems...hmmmmm?? Typical...They just couldn't update this for all of 2009?

·
Registered
18 Posts
What do I have?

I have some of the mods like the GXP rear valance fit. But I dont have the cup holders. How do I identify if I have a 2009.5 or early model?

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
I have some of the mods like the GXP rear valance fit. But I dont have the cup holders. How do I identify if I have a 2009.5 or early model?
You just did. 09.5s get cupholders on the rear seat cushion.

·
Premium Member
5,557 Posts
We are trying to complile a list of changes to help people better understand the MANY changes that were done to the 2009.5MY Vehicles that mostly go unnoticed now but may matter in the future. If you know of a difference that isnt mentioned here please let us know.

Control Systems:
ECM (GT/GXP Share Same New OS)
TCM (GT/GXP Share Same New OS)
BCM (New 09.5 Calibration with many subsystem changes)
IPC (Totally New Hardware/Calibration NOT Compatible with 08/09)
Radio (New Part # for Face and Unit)
VCIM (New Part to add Bluetooth)
Interior:
Cup Holders Added To Rear Seat Bottom
Engine:
New Valley Plate/Oil Module for L76
New Timing Chain Tensioner
New Water Pump
New Radiator Hoses
New ECM Mounting Bracket
Exhaust:
Additional Two Pup Cats Added to Mid Pipe Section for GT/GXP
Body:
Rear fascia retooled for GXP Style Valence (may have happened earlier in 09 not sure)
Any possible elaboration on that?

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
242 Posts
I am a new G8 GT owner and just realized that there is a difference between 2009 and 2009.5 after reading this post. What really gets me is that the dealer couldn't have mentioned this to me. They obviously sold me the 2009 version as mine doesn't have the rear cupholders. I mean it isn't really that big of a deal, but since I am buying a brand new car, I want the newest available...ya know...

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
I am a new G8 GT owner and just realized that there is a difference between 2009 and 2009.5 after reading this post. What really gets me is that the dealer couldn't have mentioned this to me. They obviously sold me the 2009 version as mine doesn't have the rear cupholders. I mean it isn't really that big of a deal, but since I am buying a brand new car, I want the newest available...ya know...
You would have noticed when comparing the price on equally equipped cars. GM raised the prices at least once due to price of materials. This is another reason I searched to find an 09 rather than 09.5 because the same car was like $900 less.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am looking into buying a new 2009 G8 GT. Is there an easy way to identify if a 2009 G8 GT is a 2009.5? I am llooking fo a possible VIN # split. I know I can look at the cup holders and the price but I was looking for something more definitive.

Also, What is the prospect of additional cars being imported over the next 6 mohts with the demise of Pontiac?

Any other recommendations while looking for this car?

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Cupholders are definitive for 09.5. So is saying Bluetooth on the window sticker if it's new. All of the G8's are here.

·
Premium Member
871 Posts
I am looking into buying a new 2009 G8 GT. Is there an easy way to identify if a 2009 G8 GT is a 2009.5? I am llooking fo a possible VIN # split. I know I can look at the cup holders and the price but I was looking for something more definitive.

Also, What is the prospect of additional cars being imported over the next 6 mohts with the demise of Pontiac?

Any other recommendations while looking for this car?
Very easy: the vin. If the last 6 digits of the vin start with a 3 (i.e. 3xxxxx), then and only then is it a 2009.5. Otherwise 2009 vins have a 1 or a 2. So the changes above or simply look at the vin, and you'll know.

·
Registered
669 Posts

zippo, nada, notgonnahappen...... What's supposed to come here is here already.

As to recommendations - if you want Bluetooth, get a 2009.5. Otherwise get the oldest one you can find - you'll save a couple hundred bucks. There was 2009, 2009.1 and 2009.5.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Any possible elaboration on that?

I think if you run a search on timing chain tensioner you will see. The older ones are plastic, and break easily. The problem with this whole deal is that its down into the engine and you can't see it unless you have the front of the engine taken apart, or you have some sort of special scope.

Another problem they found is that when it breaks, you really don't know, and then all of a sudden your timing chain starts acting up, not sure if this can damage the engine. There's alot of info out there on it, I believe it might be on the GTO website....you'll know when you see it, its a yellow piece of plastic, crappy design, that's why it was changed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I think if you run a search on timing chain tensioner you will see. The older ones are plastic, and break easily. The problem with this whole deal is that its down into the engine and you can't see it unless you have the front of the engine taken apart, or you have some sort of special scope.

Another problem they found is that when it breaks, you really don't know, and then all of a sudden your timing chain starts acting up, not sure if this can damage the engine. There's alot of info out there on it, I believe it might be on the GTO website....you'll know when you see it, its a yellow piece of plastic, crappy design, that's why it was changed.
Nylon has been in use on the GM small block for decades. If you run a high perf engine, you want to go the direct gear route.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
About this Discussion
52 Replies
33 Participants
jackalope
Pontiac G8 Forum
A community for Pontiac G8 owners and enthusiasts, for all the information on your Pontiac G8 sedan, G8 GT, G8 V6, and G8 GXP. Discuss performance, tech, engine specs, body kits and more!
Full Forum Listing