Pontiac G8 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Just found this thread and have one small addition. Not exactly sure what models HAVE it but I know my 2009.5 does NOT. The sunroof control in the 2009.5 requires the user to press the button while the sunroof opens to the selected position. In earlier models that I test drove, you simply turn the dial and the sunroof automatically opens to the selected setting.

I checked with the parts guy at my dealer a couple weeks back to see if there was a different part number but he couldn't find anything. Not that it doesn't exist...in fact, if anyone happens to know or can find it, I'd love to switch mine for the automatic control.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Thats actually a late 2009 MY change, not a 2009.5 unfortunately the entire sunroof module changed. We can get the 2008 module if you'd like and you can swap it in with no other changes.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Thats actually a late 2009 MY change, not a 2009.5 unfortunately the entire sunroof module changed. We can get the 2008 module if you'd like and you can swap it in with no other changes.
Wait, I thought the 'old' module was unobtainable unless you can find one in a scrap yard. There are a ton of us who want the one touch feature. You can get these? If so how much?

·
Registered
160 Posts
We are trying to complile a list of changes to help people better understand the MANY changes that were done to the 2009.5MY Vehicles that mostly go unnoticed now but may matter in the future. If you know of a difference that isnt mentioned here please let us know.

Control Systems:
ECM (GT/GXP Share Same New OS)
TCM (GT/GXP Share Same New OS)
BCM (New 09.5 Calibration with many subsystem changes)
IPC (Totally New Hardware/Calibration NOT Compatible with 08/09)
Radio (New Part # for Face and Unit)
VCIM (New Part to add Bluetooth)
Interior:
Cup Holders Added To Rear Seat Bottom
Engine:
New Valley Plate/Oil Module for L76
New Timing Chain Tensioner
New Water Pump
New Radiator Hoses
New ECM Mounting Bracket
New Camshaft for L76 (Unverified physically but very likely)
New Diameter for foul air passage
Exhaust:
Additional Two Pup Cats Added to Mid Pipe Section for GT/GXP
Body:
Rear fascia retooled for GXP Style Valence (may have happened earlier in 09 not sure)

Where exactly are these rear cup holders?
And can someone expand on the acronyms?

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
The 6M trans has changed. The front houseing is different. The bearing on the input shaft prutrudes out with a beveled shoulder.
The old bearing is flush with the houseing. A problem for after market throw out bearing. I have been waiting 2 months for McCleod to desine one. It is in the proto type stage now. Who knows how long it will be. McCleod has several other customers waiting. Oh well, shoulden't ahve blowen the clutch.
Wally

·
Premium Member
5,557 Posts
Where exactly are these rear cup holders?
And can someone expand on the acronyms?
ECM - Engine Control Module
TCM - Transmission Control Module
BCM - Body Control Module
IPC - Instrument Panel Cluster
VCIM - Vehicle Communications Interface Module

ECM -
The engine control module (ECM) is a type of electronic control unit that determines the amount of fuel, ignition timing and other parameters an internal combustion engine needs to keep running. It does this by reading values from multidimensional performance maps (so called LUTs), using input values (e.g. engine speed) calculated from signals coming from sensor devices monitoring the engine.

TCM -
The transmission control module or TCM is a device that controls modern electronic automatic transmissions. A TCM generally uses sensors from the vehicle as well as data provided by the Engine Control Module to calculate how and when to change gears in the vehicle for optimum performance, fuel economy and shift quality.

BCM -
A body control module is a computer component in an automobile that checks, regulates and operates electronic devices throughout the car. When electric devices first began being used in cars and trucks, each device had a separate electric component to govern it. There was a module for the air conditioning, a module for the interior lighting, a module for the door locks and so forth. A body control module gathers all these separate modules under one system so that they function together instead of separately, a format easier to both manufacture and troubleshoot.

While there are many different types of body control modules, they are generally alike, connecting sensors, switches and automatic reactions together in one computer system. These components are divided into inputs, such as sensor data about heat or speed, and outputs, or ways in which the body control module computer responds to control the vehicle's electronic functions. Inputs and outputs are further divided into analog and digital types of information, analog signals being used with modules that may change continuously (such as oil pressure) and digital signals being used for modules that can simply be on or off (like the headlights or the oil indication light).

IPC -
Self-explanatory

VCIM -
This control system can monitor numerous categories and types of data during operation of the vehicle. The control system can receive signals from one or more velocity sensors to monitor vehicle speed, from one or more lateral acceleration sensors to monitor vehicle stability, from diagnostic sensors to monitor conditions such as temperature, pressure, and engine revolutions per minute. Also, the control system can monitor serial/parallel data as well as analog/digitalsignals
The control system can also execute several different types of commands. For example, the control system can receive input from the driver and control the functions of an entertainment system of the vehicle. Also, the control system receive signals from vehicle sensors and execute commands. For example, the controller can receive a signal from a windshield rain sensor corresponding to rain and control the windshield wipers to engage.

·
Run Red Run
144 Posts
We are trying to complile a list of changes to help people better understand the MANY changes that were done to the 2009.5MY Vehicles that mostly go unnoticed now but may matter in the future. If you know of a difference that isnt mentioned here please let us know.

Control Systems:
ECM (GT/GXP Share Same New OS)
TCM (GT/GXP Share Same New OS)
BCM (New 09.5 Calibration with many subsystem changes)
IPC (Totally New Hardware/Calibration NOT Compatible with 08/09)
Radio (New Part # for Face and Unit)
VCIM (New Part to add Bluetooth)
Interior:
Cup Holders Added To Rear Seat Bottom
Engine:
New Valley Plate/Oil Module for L76
New Timing Chain Tensioner
New Water Pump
New Radiator Hoses
New ECM Mounting Bracket
New Camshaft for L76 (Unverified physically but very likely)
New Diameter for foul air passage
Exhaust:
Additional Two Pup Cats Added to Mid Pipe Section for GT/GXP
Body:
Rear fascia retooled for GXP Style Valence (may have happened earlier in 09 not sure)
What makes you think the 2009.5 has a different camshaft for the L76 engine?

·
Registered
160 Posts
ECM - Engine Control Module
TCM - Transmission Control Module
BCM - Body Control Module
IPC - Instrument Panel Cluster
VCIM - Vehicle Communications Interface Module

ECM -
The engine control module (ECM) is a type of electronic control unit that determines the amount of fuel, ignition timing and other parameters an internal combustion engine needs to keep running. It does this by reading values from multidimensional performance maps (so called LUTs), using input values (e.g. engine speed) calculated from signals coming from sensor devices monitoring the engine.

TCM -
The transmission control module or TCM is a device that controls modern electronic automatic transmissions. A TCM generally uses sensors from the vehicle as well as data provided by the Engine Control Module to calculate how and when to change gears in the vehicle for optimum performance, fuel economy and shift quality.

BCM -
A body control module is a computer component in an automobile that checks, regulates and operates electronic devices throughout the car. When electric devices first began being used in cars and trucks, each device had a separate electric component to govern it. There was a module for the air conditioning, a module for the interior lighting, a module for the door locks and so forth. A body control module gathers all these separate modules under one system so that they function together instead of separately, a format easier to both manufacture and troubleshoot.

While there are many different types of body control modules, they are generally alike, connecting sensors, switches and automatic reactions together in one computer system. These components are divided into inputs, such as sensor data about heat or speed, and outputs, or ways in which the body control module computer responds to control the vehicle's electronic functions. Inputs and outputs are further divided into analog and digital types of information, analog signals being used with modules that may change continuously (such as oil pressure) and digital signals being used for modules that can simply be on or off (like the headlights or the oil indication light).

IPC -
Self-explanatory

VCIM -
This control system can monitor numerous categories and types of data during operation of the vehicle. The control system can receive signals from one or more velocity sensors to monitor vehicle speed, from one or more lateral acceleration sensors to monitor vehicle stability, from diagnostic sensors to monitor conditions such as temperature, pressure, and engine revolutions per minute. Also, the control system can monitor serial/parallel data as well as analog/digitalsignals
The control system can also execute several different types of commands. For example, the control system can receive input from the driver and control the functions of an entertainment system of the vehicle. Also, the control system receive signals from vehicle sensors and execute commands. For example, the controller can receive a signal from a windshield rain sensor corresponding to rain and control the windshield wipers to engage.

Thanks...that is some major changes to the electronics controlling the cars...were things not performing well before that GM felt the need to make so many changes to a car that was dying.

·
Tin Indian
440 Posts
Interesting. I don't have Bluetooth, I don't have the cupholders. I DO have the additional pup cats in the exhaust after the center resonator in the exhaust. Maybe i have a 2009.25 model year (LOL)

·
Registered
433 Posts
What exactly is this instant MPG? I know for sure I have a 2009.5 because of the Bluetooth, the rear cupholders and the easier addition of the rear GXP valance but I DO NOT have the instant MPG. When I cycle through the menus on the DIC and I come to MPG, it seems like it refreshes every 15 seconds or so. Pretty weird if you ask me. My 2007 Mustang GT had a true instant MPG that would update precisely on the fly.

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
What exactly is this instant MPG? I know for sure I have a 2009.5 because of the Bluetooth, the rear cupholders and the easier addition of the rear GXP valance but I DO NOT have the instant MPG. When I cycle through the menus on the DIC and I come to MPG, it seems like it refreshes every 15 seconds or so. Pretty weird if you ask me. My 2007 Mustang GT had a true instant MPG that would update precisely on the fly.

A new feature only available on 2009.5 G8's with the new code.

http://www.g8board.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19632

I tried begging the dealership to upgrade my 2009.1 code to 2009.5 code way back when, but due to incompatibilities between them, it was impossible.

·
LS is More
545 Posts
The instant MPG is hidden away in the Engineering Mode of the DIC. You have to press and hold the left scroll wheel/button on the steering wheel while turning on the car to get to it.

Not very convenient.

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
Thanks...that is some major changes to the electronics controlling the cars...were things not performing well before that GM felt the need to make so many changes to a car that was dying.
Ya gotta wonder what was in store for 2010 model year. I already know that the "GTPPrix Triple digital Atari gauges" were slated for the GXP trim level for 2010. Others have commented that the Base Sedan would have gotten the DI (V6 camaro) 3.6L V6, capable of achieving 27+mph highway.

Most of these computer changes throughout model years can be due to limitations found in existing designs, supplier/parts supply issues, or preparation of new features for an upcoming model year within the existing model cycle.

It all comes down to, such a shame that the G8 only had a short 2 year lifespan. So much potential. But, on the bright side, that's what makes our cars unique. Here's to the Chevy SS of 2014. :secret:

·
LS is More
545 Posts
Ooops, I didn't realize it's just on the 2009.5's. Nevermind!

·
Mod-a-Holic
127 Posts
Timing Chain Tensioner - Complete List of 2009.5 Changes

Aegis,

You made a comment about nylon tensioners for timing chains in GM small blocks for years. You said go the "direct gear" route. Are you referring to (DOHC) dual overhead cam versus the single cam in block that are the majority of GM small blocks?

Nylon has been in use on the GM small block for decades. If you run a high perf engine, you want to go the direct gear route.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts