Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know or have a good guess as to what constitutes a 'run cycle' for the computer, and also how many run cycles you need to get the EVAP system to show 'ready'?
Mechanic has fixed everything for emissions test and computer shows everything is good, but green light next to EVA on monitor needs run cycles to reset...:|

·
Premium Member
4,174 Posts
I was reading the rules in Texas that say 08/09 year cars are allowed to have ONE not ready monitor displayed (if I read it correctly), an be allowed to pass (almost always seems to be the EVAP system). It seems to read like GM cars need engine running time with various steady speeds, distance covered at each speed, as well as run cycles covering about 200 miles over X amount of days, to change the EVAP monitor to ready. I would only have a wild guess on what that day count would be.

·
Premium Member
4,582 Posts
Not sure about the run cycle duration. However, at one point in time had a pesky P0008 engine code which would not allow the car to pass state inspection. Discovered there was a small time-frame between the time it took for the majority of the emission tests to run and for the code to go from pending to current/active. Therefore, would reset/clear the code, drive around about thirty minutes or so and wait for the code reader to show which readiness monitors were complete. Once, enough systems were green would have the vehicle inspected before the check engine light re-illuminated.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone for the comments. due to modifications I already have a permanent not-ready status for O2 sensors. I am going to try to follow the GM drive cycle outline posted several times and see if that works. I'll post back with results!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts