Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an old ELM327. Just checked and looks like I bought it on Amazon in 2012. The email receipt I have says "Soliport ELM 327 Bluetooth OBDII OBD2 Diagnostic Scanner". It's orange and blue. Oh, looks like this: https://thebestwirelessbarcodereaderscanner.blogspot.com/2011/12/10-60-off-soliport-elm-327-bluetooth.html. It has never worked with my car. I plug it in, the lights all flash, then just the red one stays on. I turn the car on, it runs for a second or two, then idles rough, then shuts down. I then get a "Contact dealer" message on the DIC. I start it up and now I get a check engine light, and ESS OFF (stability control) message. I'm assuming the lights will clear themselves... (right?).. but wtf. Why does this thing not work? I have a 2009 G8 GT...

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
The ELM327 on-board diagnostic tool is somehow interfering with the operation/communication of the CAN bUS (CANBUS) system. Might be the computer doesn't not recognize it and simply goes haywire. Plugging vehicle monitoring gadgets into the on-board diagnostic port has caused a variety of issues for other members. Perchance the tool is better suited or compatible with a different vehicle.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
About this Discussion
1 Reply
2 Participants
PONY MAN
Pontiac G8 Forum
A community for Pontiac G8 owners and enthusiasts, for all the information on your Pontiac G8 sedan, G8 GT, G8 V6, and G8 GXP. Discuss performance, tech, engine specs, body kits and more!
Full Forum Listing