Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Update: I no longer have the G8.

Update: up for sale. Pictures in post #17. Asking $11,000

I've decided to put the G8 up for sale. I've had the car inspected four times since the original post in this thread. The engine is fine.

Known issues:
- hail dents
- crack in bottom center of front bumper
- air box is missing a few clips (causes a very occasional noise from air sucking in between the halves of the air box)

Tires have a few thousand miles on them (about 5,000) and are rated to 40,000 miles.
The front struts and strut mounts were replaced in November, less than 1,000 miles ago.

The interior is in great shape. Non-smoker, no kids, no pets. I am the original owner of this car. My girlfriend bumped a small utility pole in a parking lot years ago. It put a small dent in the rear bumper. Other than that, no accidents.

I'm including pictures that were taken yesterday.

Based on numbers I'm seeing online and in this thread, I think I can target $11,000 for this car. The car is located at my home in Glendale, AZ (Phoenix).

Original Post:
64,725 miles. I'm the original owner. I think I'm starting to hear the lifter rattle at WoT.

It has the 6 disc changer and, I think, the upgraded speakers. No other options.

It also has hail damage from the storm that hit Phoenix in 2010. I replaced the lights and windshield but left the dents in the body. Finally, it has a crack at the bottom of the front bumper where I went over one of those parking lot space curbs. (bumper went over, not the entire car ;) )

I've kept synthetic Mobile 1 in it from the beginning. Recently replaced two motor mounts and changed the transmission fluid, brake fluid, power steering fluid, coolant and both air filters. Interior is in fantastic shape. Tires are almost new (4,000 miles?) and I have a full size spare in the trunk.

Any ideas what I might be able to list this for? I'm thinking it might be of interest to someone that wants one for mods and / or racing.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Well, this doesn't sound good. Not sure how bad the "dents" are. I can't give you a number without seeing pictures.

·
Registered
120 Posts
It might be worth your while to find a shop that does Painless Dent Removal(PDR) and at least get an estimate. Those dents will turn a lot of people away even if it doesn't cost much to PDR it. Get them removed, and as far as a potential buyer is concerned it never had hail damage to begin with. You mentioned the lifter tick at WOT, but usually it's more noticeable at idle and cold startup and may go away within a few seconds.

·
Sarcasm Personified
3,900 Posts
Based on what you have presented $10k-$12k, maybe less depending on what is wrong with your engine.

Get the hail damage fixed with PDR or like poster said above at least get an estimate. Front bumper is a costly fix looking at the photo of the crack. Last but not least is the engine issue you are having. Like stated the lifter tick is a cold start and idle issue. Not sure what your issue is at WOT but I'd have that diagnosed first.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for the input, it is appreciated!

I contacted GM regarding the engine. They are supposed to call me tomorrow and offer to pay for one hour of diagnostic time at a local dealer. It may not the lifters, as you both mentioned.

When the hail storm hit, insurance adjusters looked over the car. At that time, the estimate to fix involved removing the body panels, pounded out the dents, and repainting, or just replacing the entire panel with a new one. I'll contact a paintless removal place and see what they say.

If I go through the expense of fixing everything, then I'll likely just keep it. If I were to sell it, it would be full disclosure, sold as-is. It runs great. I drove it again yesterday and enjoyed it. I went over to a Ford dealer and test drove the Ecoboost Mustang. Fun, but not like the G8. I asked about a trade and he offered me $3700. I was speechless for a few seconds.

·
Sarcasm Personified
3,900 Posts
Thank you for the input, it is appreciated!

I contacted GM regarding the engine. They are supposed to call me tomorrow and offer to pay for one hour of diagnostic time at a local dealer. It may not the lifters, as you both mentioned.

When the hail storm hit, insurance adjusters looked over the car. At that time, the estimate to fix involved removing the body panels, pounded out the dents, and repainting, or just replacing the entire panel with a new one. I'll contact a paintless removal place and see what they say.

If I go through the expense of fixing everything, then I'll likely just keep it. If I were to sell it, it would be full disclosure, sold as-is. It runs great. I drove it again yesterday and enjoyed it. I went over to a Ford dealer and test drove the Ecoboost Mustang. Fun, but not like the G8. I asked about a trade and he offered me $3700. I was speechless for a few seconds.
Hell I'll give you $4000 for it today lol.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I'll give ya $5000.

Maybe you'll get lucky and get an auction going here and get a decent price for it, haha.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll give ya $5000.

Maybe you'll get lucky and get an auction going here and get a decent price for it, haha.
haha

Well, I might be ok with that. :)

I'm still on the fence as to whether I want to put money into modding it, or sell it and put money into a new car.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
:) Thanks guys!

Updates: I took the car to a Chevy dealer for the GM paid hour of diagnostic. I strongly encouraged the service adviser to take the car out and drive it hard. Make sure he takes it to WoT for enough time to hear the sound.

End of the day, his answer is that it is not the engine, but the airbox making the noise. He states he took the box off and drove it again and the noise was gone. I'm skeptical and told him as much, but that's the diagnosis. He claimed some of the clips were missing.

Does anyone here have the stock airbox? If so, how many metal clips hold the two halves together? Thanks!

On another note, GM informed me that I have a 10 year / 120,000 mile warranty on the lower control arms. The Chevy dealer inspected them (they are original) and said they were still operating within normal parameters.

Finally, I was charged for the inspection because the GM rep sent the email authorizing one hour of suspension inspection for the lower control arms. I called about the engine. We discussed the engine for several minutes. She said she would authorize an hour of diagnostic time on the engine, and then she sent the email about the suspension. I have a printout of the email to confirm.

So... frustrated by the customer service experience again, but hopeful that maybe it really isn't the engine. I haven't heard the noise since he worked with the airbox, so maybe he's correct. That would be nice.

According to that service center, there is nothing they found that needs attention with the car.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Mine is stock and I think it's 5. 2 closest to the front bumper, 2 on back near firewall, and 1 on side by fender.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mine is stock and I think it's 5. 2 closest to the front bumper, 2 on back near firewall, and 1 on side by fender.
Thanks Mark!

I have three on mine at this point. I will probably swap the air box out for an intake at some point in the near future. I recently swapped out the front struts and strut mounts. Car is running great. :)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Pm'ed ya

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've decided to put the G8 up for sale. I've had the car inspected four times since the original post in this thread. The engine is fine.

Known issues:
- hail dents
- air box is missing a few clips (causes a very occasional noise from air sucking in between the halves of the air box)

Tires have a few thousand miles on them (about 5,000) and are rated to 40,000 miles.
The front struts and strut mounts were replaced in November, less than 1,000 miles ago.

The interior is in great shape. Non-smoker, no kids, no pets. I am the original owner of this car. My girlfriend bumped a small utility pole in a parking lot years ago. It put a small dent in the rear bumper. Other than that, no accidents.

Based on numbers I'm seeing online and in this thread, I think I can target $11,000 for this car. The car is located at my home in Glendale, AZ (Phoenix).

Attachments

·
Registered
1,839 Posts

Known issues:
- hail dents

Selling this car with the dents & bumper most people will pass on it. Not sure why you do not fix it & modify it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Selling this car with the dents & bumper most people will pass on it. Not sure why you do not fix it & modify it.
In the past, I contacted a few places about dent repair. None of them returned my inquiries. I lost interest in trying at that point as I didn't really care about the dents and it felt like a hassle.

Since then, I've decided on another car for my daily driver.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
About this Discussion
19 Replies
9 Participants
RyanG8
Pontiac G8 Forum
A community for Pontiac G8 owners and enthusiasts, for all the information on your Pontiac G8 sedan, G8 GT, G8 V6, and G8 GXP. Discuss performance, tech, engine specs, body kits and more!
Full Forum Listing