Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife got a set of Continental DWS tires for her car back in May. I've been using Mother's Back to Black tire renew to clean them which is an awesome product.

The only thing is that whatever protectant I use just won't stay on there. The sidewalls go back to the blackish gray undressed look in a matter of a day or two especially if you wipe the protectant on. I'm not a fan of super shiny or greasy looking tires,but I do like it to look like there is a little something on there.

I had been using Surf City Beyond Black tire shine. I had used it in the past with great results,and then I found it on clearance for next to nothing at W.M. It worked great on her old Falken tires,and the tires on my other vehicles.

I have been using aerosol trim spray to protect the honeycomb grils on our G8. I have used Stoner's,but the last thing I bought was Duragloss 265 Ultimate Detail Spray. It's a nice product,but it is pretty glossy on tires. It did last a lot longer than wiping something on there. I used it last night,and today I found overspray all over the car. I applied some of the Beyond Black in the same manner,and it looks really good too. However,it is hard to keep from spraying the car and your wheels also. That's why I like to use an applicator because it is much easier to keep from making a mess. As I said,that ain't working too good.

I have done a little reading,and this seems to be a Continental issue. Anyone else experience this? I wonder if the "new" will wear off the tires and they will accept dressings better,or do I need to use a more aggressive cleaning method?

I also have CarPro Perl and McKee's 37 High Gloss tire gel,but I haven't had time to give them a shot yet.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I have Continental DW tires on my G8, and have Continental CrossContacts on our Subaru. Can't say I've ever really paid too much attention to it, but I would agree that they don't hold on to dressing for very long. Then again, both cars are daily drivers so that could be it too.

I do find that scrubbing them well with a stiff brush and soap seems to help. And the only tire shine I've used for probably the past 10 years is Meguiars Gold Class Endurance Tire Gel. This stuff: https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-G7516-Endurance-Tire-Gel/dp/B0009IQXJ0

I started using it cuz I got tired of other stuff flying off the tires and sticking to the car, but I quite like it because it's not over the top shiny like you mentioned. I usually use a microfiber wax applicator to apply it, but foam works fine too.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
I have the same problem with my Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3's any tire dressing I use make it look like the tire has some kind of blotchy rash.
Since it does this with everything I've tried its gotta be the rubber compound.

·
every village has one
2,168 Posts
I've used the No Touch tire care spray on my DWS with decent results. Just tried DuraGloss 265 Ultimate Detail Spray. Smells like melon when you put it on, but it's doing a good job so far.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I have the same problem with my Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3's any tire dressing I use make it look like the tire has some kind of blotchy rash.
Since it does this with everything I've tried its gotta be the rubber compound.
That's odd. I have the same tire and don't have any issues. It's not the same type of thing being discussed here, but I generally use the Meguiars Tire Foam on them and they stay a rich black for at least a week or even two depending on how much I drive the car. Yes, I have to do cleanup after application, but I'm happy with the results.

·
Premium Member
4,628 Posts
I have DWS's and use Adams. No issues.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
If you don't like shiny i'm not sure what to tell you. I've used eagle tire shine and had good luck, but the best was armor all that that came in an aerosol can. Lasts a while. For any application i use the foam applicator to really rub it in. You can find them at the auto stores near the tire shines.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah foam applicators do seem to do a better job of working the product in.

Spraying the product on and letting it sit has worked better so far,but I'm still not getting the durability with anything like I had with the Falkens. The tires still look pretty decent after a week,but not like the old ones.

The DG tire shine is doing the best so far. As I said before,I made a terrible mess with it last time though. It was getting dark when I was spraying it on the tires,and the wind must've been blowing harder than I thought. I got that stuff ALL over the car. Love the smell though!

My Dad always used Westley's Bleche White when I was growing up. That stuff was stout,but it did a good job. It would take your breath away and make you gag out in the wide open. It worked though. Last time I used it it wasn't as stout as it used to be. Probably had to change it due to VOC or something like it.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
If you don't like shiny i'm not sure what to tell you. I've used eagle tire shine and had good luck, but the best was armor all that that came in an aerosol can. Lasts a while. For any application i use the foam applicator to really rub it in. You can find them at the auto stores near the tire shines.
I use armor all tire gel looks great & lasts for a couple of weeks. It does give it a black wet look.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts