Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed my FAST/NW 102 combo last night and now im leaking coolant. I went to Goodyear right by my house because I didnt want to drive far and they did a pressure check. Theres coolant dripping from one of my oil pan plugs. Only thing I can think of is a gasket is pinched. But im definitely not a mechanic and should of never tried the swap in the first place. Now I have issues.

·
Registered
5,682 Posts
If you started the engine with anti-freeze in the oil I hate to tell you this but the bearings are probly screwed. Anti-freeze destroys rod, main and cam bearing surfaces. :(

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
There is no coolant flowing through the intake, so it should have nothing to do with the intake swap. Coolant in the oil is a head gasket or cracked block.

Also, I guess I didn't realize that you swapped to a 102 TB also. You definitly need a tune to fix your high idle problems. I wouldn't drive the car much until then, assuming the coolant turns out not to be something major.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Im trying to stay positive right now. I don't see how I would have cracked the block though especially since I don't drive it and after install of the 102 combo probably didn't even drive a full mile but I don't know. Im hoping since the coolant hitting the ground is still straight normal dex cool and not milky like its mixed; that its not major but just a small setback.

·
Registered
457 Posts
If it's straight coolant that's dripping I'm sure it's not leaking from the oil pan itself. It's gotta be leaking somewhere farther up and running down.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If it's straight coolant that's dripping I'm sure it's not leaking from the oil pan itself. It's gotta be leaking somewhere farther up and running down.
That's what I thought but the tech at Goodyear sprayed one of the oil pan bolts that the coolant was running down and it bubbled like it was coming from inside. But its still solid color and not milkshake discolored.

·
Registered
87 Posts
At the back of of the intake there's is a coolant cross over tube that runs from drivers head to passenger head, I would check there first.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just went and looked at my car again. There wasn't any new/fresh coolant on the cardboard underneath my car. I looked all in the engine bay and didn't see where there was or could've been any leaks. Im not sure where the coolant crossover is but I looked real steady at everything but not saying I didn't miss anything.

·
Registered
87 Posts
The cross over is actually under your intake in the rear, if you have a mirror handy you might be able to put it back at the firewall and look down towards the bottom of the intake.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Agreed on the crossover. You might have damaged it during the install.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Isn't the crossover pipe in the front under the throttle body?

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I believe it is in the front on the LS2/3/L76. I think it's in the rear on some of the truck motors. The heads are symetrical, so it can be bolted to either end.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
The rear of the heads have two plugs not a tube that goes in between. You could have bumped one and unsettled the seal. Easy to do. They look the same as the front but with no tube.

·
Advanced Member
1,202 Posts
Some heads have rivets in the holes instead of bolt down plugs.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
UPDATE- I had a mechanic look at it in my personal garage and neither one of us saw anything from the naked eye anywhere in the engine bay but still had drips coming off the oil pan but not mixed just coolant. So I just had it towed to a real shop with a lift for a tear down. Hope for the best. Cant afford a whole new engine so id have to sell.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
UPDATE- My mechanic finally called me today and its what he called a weak head gasket on drivers side. No sure what that means or how it happened and he didnt know how it happened either but it should be done by end of week. Only thing I can think of is maybe the air/fuel is off so much maybe that did it but not sure. Any advice or experience on this is welcome.

·
Registered
753 Posts
By any chance did he happen to say weather or not he could tell if someone had been into it or not. Mainly non factory gaskets,arp bolts/studs etc??

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The factory gaskets had already been off because I did a a dod delete cam swap and had my heads ported but I replaced the heads with new head gaskets and new arp headbolts and everything and all the hardware. I just cant figure our why an intake and tb swap would cause that.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts