Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gidday,

Just wondering if anyone has slapped a Corsa, or Borla cat back on an LY7 yet. I finally got my CAI installed and am getting my tune by MGS in Courtice June 13th. I had arranged with a shop a Borla setup, but my tuner also does exhaust but he deals with Corsa. I know Corsa is a bit pricier but V6 exhaust note can be a tricky thing to get right, and if I could compare the sounds before I jump into one of these systems it would put me at ease.

P.S.

Since getting my G8 (always wanted one) this community has been great! Can't wait to see a bunch of you on the streets!

·
The Roaming G8
390 Posts
I don't know if there are any corsa/borla exhaust set ups for the V6 versions. Seems like a lil fabricating will be in progress. It should sound good no matter which one you choose and you shouldn't get any drone that we get with the V8 version.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh yes definitely a little bit of fab work, nothing serious. I was quoted $1100 for the Borla installed, which sounds very tempting.

·
The Roaming G8
390 Posts
Well youtube can be your best friend when looking for exhaust sound clips. May be a little hard trying to find a V6 with a sound clip though.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Solo v6 mufflers are the only ones I have heard so far that gave the exhaust a deep v8 sound. That plus a mid muffler delete and x pipe install I think would sound pretty good and decently loud when you are pushing on it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes I've checked a few out. I'm hoping to extract some opinion here, as it is "sans-trolls" and I respect the opinions of the community here. Many times on youtube as well they neglect to mention the manufacturer anyways. I need my fellow V6'ers to step up here! I've narrowed it down to those brands so I'm hoping to find someone thats done it.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Sounds like you need to be a guinea pig for the rest of us V6ers. On a side note can you PM me details on your tune? Price and where you're getting it done? Cheers.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah you know what? screw it! might as well just blaze the trail. I'm tired of Hazer having to do everything first! I'll just bite the bullet on this one and get it done, I'm sure it will sound fine. And yes I will Pm you now Karlhungus.

·
Registered
864 Posts

·
Facebook Moderator
1,452 Posts
Yeah you know what? screw it! might as well just blaze the trail. I'm tired of Hazer having to do everything first! I'll just bite the bullet on this one and get it done, I'm sure it will sound fine. And yes I will Pm you now Karlhungus.

hehe :punch:

im positive a GT exhaust should work fine on our 6's AT MOST it will just require fab at the front where it connects to the cats other then that it should sound awesome!!!

I am actually looking to get a stock GT Mid section that will be going on my car, its a 2.5" dia so higher flowing setup!

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Car is in for tuning as we speak, cant wait to get it back to see what kind of power he frees up. He'll be putting a quote together for me for a Corsa system. As soon as that gets done a video will be up.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Sweet. Let us know the results and details.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Tuner just called me, having some difficulty. He was wondering if I had an aftermarket remote start or security system, which I don't. I had heard these ECM's were tricky. Hopefully he gets it figured out, or I will be severely disappointed!

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Yes the ECU is a different unit from every other LY7. Hardly any options for us. That's why I'm so curious. Maybe this guy cracked the code.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Have they tuned a V6 G8 before?

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just heard back, he was able to get into the ECM and download everything but he can't modify anything for some reason. He says its because its the Bosch ECM. He's going to contact a software engineer for me and let me know what we can do. Also, he's pondering the idea of replacing the ECM, not sure how into that idea I am. He is very frustrated! So he can imagine how I feel... However I'm driving a Buick Verano Turbo while he has my car, and I'll make due. While I was speaking to him, I was quoted $1000.00 for a Borla stainless cat-back, and $500.00 for a Solo axle-back. Kind of on the fence.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Pretty well documented on the forums. As far as I know only mace has done an ly7 tune still. Can't replace the ecm either since all the modules that go with it are also specific to the v6 g8

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ermagerrrrrd! So frustrating.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
They should probably take the G8 V6 off their website I guess. Too bad. I had the Solo axle backs but they droned too much for my liking. Fair price though. Curious about the Borla though.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.