Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Addicted
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was mentioned in this thread: http://www.g8board.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68571

That there was a solution to the Corsa Rain Noise problem...anyone have any information on this?

It mentioned that the cause was the front pipes on upside down?! Not sure how that's possible.

·
HeapBlaster
442 Posts
im gonna take a long shot and say this is a bunch of BS... if you retain water in your exhaust you need to drive your car for more than 30 seconds at a time...

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
It is not just G8's. It is a known Corsa "quirk". Rapid temperature changes to the muffler, Like driving through puddles. Causes weird harmonics within the muffler. There is no packing or perforated tubing in a Corsa muffler. The muffler has built in "j tubes" to cancel the noise. Sound waves are temperature sensitive, it changes the speed of the sound waves.

·
Addicted
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Drew, that makes sense. I've had HPT scanning when it happened....nothing out of ordinary..no DTC, no limp mode, no weird O2 readings, no mysterious KR. Its just plain different noise--the temperature induced harmonics seems to be a reasonable explanation.

Not really a big deal had it happen twice in as many years...only last for a bit and you can still drive, just some noise--gladly trade that for quiet cruise and no drone AFM.

·
HeapBlaster
442 Posts
hmm, i had never thought to look at what a corsa looks like inside.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Zero issues with mine, almost 3 years now.

·
Registered
856 Posts
:gr_jest:Zero issues with mine as well....ooops sorry, I have a SOLO....couldn't resist really...:stickpoke::wiggle:

·
Registered
468 Posts
John, no issues with mine for the 1.5 years it was on my GT. I did have a early 2009 build system so I'm not sure if anything changed in the design since.

·
Addicted
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm not really worried about it so much, as it was mentioned there was solution just wanted to make sure I didn't miss out. I've driven many times (my G8 is a DD) in the rain with no issues. The only time I "recreated" the noise was splashing through deep puddles at speed. The temp change/resonance makes sense (much like the Corsa changes a bit in very cold weather). I love the sound and haven't heard any exhaust that's better...now if I could just find a good weekend for the header install.....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts