Pontiac G8 Forum banner

cortex error / battery voltage

2K views 22 replies 6 participants last post by  raphman 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, I recently purchased a SC cortex and haven't been able to use it, thanks to an annoying "vehicle response was incorrect..." error message. I've called SC on 3 occasions and was told to unplug my aftermarket sub amp, remove some fuses (radio, stock amp, onstar) and try again. Still got the same message. I called them yet again earlier today and was told to check the voltage on the battery, that it should be at 12.8. Just checked it and it was at 12.3 (vehicle off, on it was where it should be, 14.4ish)

Is this right? Does our battery have to be above 12.8 for the cortex to work?? I know a battery reading around 12.5 volts pretty much indicates a full charge.

And before you ask, yes, I have updated the cortex since I purchased it and just did it 5 minutes ago before trying again.

Any feedback/ideas would be great...

#2 ·
Sounds like you might have a bad connection to your pcm.

#10 ·
Needs to be past accessory mode. One more click. Engine position, however not with the engine running.

#7 ·
If your able to scratch 2nd gear you have a tune already. That's the easiest way to tell. No stock G will scratch 2nd. If you already have a tune the easiest way of course would be to contact the previous owner for specifics if you can. Where and when did you purchase the car?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#8 ·
I think the dealer can revert you back to original or at least you can check to see if is locked or not.

#11 ·
SLO 60 - Yeah, it chirps 1-2 and sometimes 2-3 (though I'm currently in winter tires). I unfortunately don't know who the previous owner was, since I purchased it from a user car dealership

Tonio. - No, I get the message when I try to install a tune. The (B) brake light flashes on the dash, I hear *dings*, and then get the error message.

Scholl26 - Yeah, the position in which you car turn on the radio. If I were to turn any further, it would crank.

#12 ·
Getting confused with your wording here. So one click forward, is accessory. Two clicks is system check, where the AC/Fan/headlights/etc turn on. It only cranks if you push it past that. When you tune, you should see the system check run, and complete, and you can control the AC or fan unit, along with the radio. I believe also, the check engine light will remain on. So, my question is, when you are tuning or trying to, can you run adjust the air conditioner/heat fan? If so, yes, you are in the correct position. If not, turn the key one more notch, but don't turn past, because yes, you will engage the starter.

My apologies if I am beating this one, or being over precise, but I had this problem also when I first got my cortex, and was concerned that the second click position would start my car.

#13 ·
Scholl26 - All good, I appreciate your efforts to help me fix this issue. I definitely turn the key to the location you've described (radio turns on, system check, etc.) and after pressing "ok" on the cortex for it to continue, get the error message.

#14 ·
As far as I know there are a few things that can stop a tuning device from working:

Bad connection through the ODBII port (holding the cable at the port a certain way may be a work around).
Fuse blown under the hood or below your steering wheel.
Bad or missing ground.
Locked PCM/TCM.

#15 ·
If your scratching gears like that, it indicates you most likely have a current tune installed. You will need to have the current tune removed in order to use the cortex. Do you plan on headers, hfcs or more advanced mods?? If not, why not keep the current tune as it is probably the equivalent or better than the cortex? If you plan on more mods, you'll need to retune.

#16 ·
If your scratching gears like that, it indicates you most likely have a current tune installed. You will need to have the current tune removed in order to use the cortex. Do you plan on headers, hfcs or more advanced mods?? If not, why not keep the current tune as it is probably the equivalent or better than the cortex? If you plan on more mods, you'll need to retune.

I had to read up to figure out the context for "scratching gears". I've never heard that term before. I would have thought it meant you missed shift and were grinding the gears away (like a manual gearbox), but not breaking traction during shifting.

#18 ·
I'm surprised you weren't like wtf are you telling him, lol.

Lol I was confused... coming up with all these random ideas of what it was. But you're probably right. If he can break traction like that, he must have a tune.

#19 · (Edited)
Well, I would leave it as is, but i feel the shifts are really harsh. Also, if the previous owner installed a cortex tune, would he have installed the rotofab one and what octane tune? What if a 93 octane tune is installed? I've been using 87 octane since I bought the car! Also, I just spent money on this cortex, I'd like to at least use it!

I also never heard anyone say "scratching gears", but just assumed he meant "chirping tires" hahahaha

#20 ·
Lol, so I'm one of the few who uses that term.

You have a point there about the octane. Yah, that wouldn't be good. Crazy harsh shifts can't be too good for your tranny either. If the tune is locked that's going to be more difficult to deal with than an unlocked one. You could always go to the dealer and they can easily wipe out an unlocked tune. Locked is another story, I've heard of people having to replace the whole ecm. The tcm shouldn't be locked so you should be good there. I'm not too sure who can wipe a locked tune... I'd start off with seeing what the dealer can do for you.

#21 ·
I think you mis-heard someone say "snatching gears", so now you say "scratching gears". Kind like n/a, is it "normally aspirated" and "naturally aspirated"? Who carez.. we all know what we're talkin about.

My Cortex displayed, "your tune is not stock. call superchips and use code E-43".
I will call them tomorrow.

#23 ·
So I stopped by a stealership today and the incredibly unfriendly service lady there told me that I would be charged $120 for them to even look at my car... I tried to explain to her that I just want to see if the ecm/tcm have been modified. She wasn't having it and told me "if it's not showing any error codes, there's nothing I can do for you." and proceeded to resume the telephone conversation she was having when I got there. Mind you, when I arrived, there was her and 3 other associates. She was on the phone and the other 3 were pretty much just sitting there... then two of them got up and left, and the last time didn't acknowledge me. What useless *******s.

Anywho, does anyone have any other ideas or know of a dealer in the MD/VA area that can actually help me?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.