Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a cortex and have been messing around with settings to find the sweet spot. Regarding the shift points, should I leave them stock, set them to superchips settings or raise them independently ie) raise 1-2 by 200rpm. My GT is stock except for solo axleback and rotofab. Thanks in advance for the help!

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I set mine:
25% TM
1-2 200+rpm
2-3 200+rpm
3-4 200+rpm

Loved it.

·
Ravenous Unicorn Shoes
14 Posts
The 25% just refers to the line pressure. Meaning how HARD your transmission is shifting. In the cortex setting it'll have options for increasing your shift points by 100, 150, 200rpms, etc. I'm running a vararam tune at 93 octane. The graph cortex has out for the tune leaves me to believe that when you shift you want to try and be as close to 4200rpm as possible to take advantage of the torque. We have heavy cars so we need some of that stump pulling power. I'm still looking for the stock shift point values so I know how much to increase my shift points by. Also trying to figure out what our engines can safely spin up to stock with all those AFM parts still in there.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
You DON'T want your car to shift at 4200rpm. The stock setting is 6000rpm according to the stock file I just looked at in HPT. +200 rpm seems to be the sweet spot for a stock-cammed car.

·
Ravenous Unicorn Shoes
14 Posts
I meant that when you do shift, lets say from 1st to 2nd, you'll shift from 1st at XXXX RPM and hope to land at around 4200 RPM in 2nd. Not actually shift AT 4200 RPM. I should have clarified it better. 4200 rpm is just the number I'm seeing where G8 GT's with vararam intakes and cortex 93 octane tunes (and for the most part stock G8 GTs) are starting to make most of their torque.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
ended up here after reading about lifter failures. I'll admit I don't even remember what my cortex is set at... I know it's a 93 vararm and i think 25%. Not sure about shift points, but it seems raising the shift at all on stock internals could increase wear and likelihood of failure of lifters. Is that fair to say?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts