Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I blew the trans in my track Mustang on my 3rd lap of the day, but I had a student I was responsible for, so I had to stick around. Later in the day I couldn't stand being there and not driving anymore, even though I got in a couple of relatively hot laps in my student's Boss 302, so I took my G8 out for a few laps. :driving:
Bone stock brakes, tires, suspension, stock everything except a Magnaflow catback, Rotofab CAI, Cortex 91 octane and 50% trans tunes. I weighed it on the track scales and it was 4075 with me in it (that's 240 lbs) and a half tank of gas. I could feel every ounce of it in the corners LOL. But looking at the time from the video it looks like I was only a second or two slower than my Mustang times :eek:

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Yea, I hate being at the track and not driving. I thought the car would have actually weighed more with you in it, curb weight is quoted at 3995. I'll have to check out the video when I get home, iPhone doesn't want to pull it up at the moment.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's the same Porsche who smoked away from me a lap later. That's the chief instructor in a car he only bought 2 weeks ago, he was having trouble figuring out the trans or something.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Haha yeah I figured, but I purposely neglected to let the video play long enough to see that when showing my friends just now. So all is well.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Assuming your video is not sped up, and our time codes are in synch, you are faster than me around that track !

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, to be fair, have you driven the same configuration? Most events there, the organizers use the slower config where turns 2 and 3 (left then right leading to the chute under the bridge) are tight, 90 degrees. This club uses the faster config where those turns are much more sweeping and a few seconds faster.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Oh yeah. Looking on Google Earth I can see the difference. Still, I'd like to follow you around to see your line etc.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What clubs do you run with here?

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
I've only done PAS at that particular track. Their track time/down time ratio has gotten worse over the years, so I'm always looking around. I've done a few Porsche Club events at other tracks.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Really? I've only been here 3 years and both PASA and NASA pretty much provide four 20-minutes sessions per day, which is par for the course for other clubs I've run with elsewhere. PCA tends to provide more because their events are more lightly attended. PASA is running an event at AMP next month, and that track is by far and away the best track in the PHX area. Not an inch of elevation change, but much longer than the other tracks with some nice increasing-radius turns.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
And now I see PCA is running at AMP on April 20. THAT will be worth coming for, probably 5 sessions at least.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
5-10 years ago PAS used to run 5x30 min sessions. But they added more racing classes so now it is 4x20 or sometimes a bit more. So 150 min vs 80 min... big diff in my book.

PCA events, I usually get more time than I can handle.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts