Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got off the highway last night, stopped at light, looked in mirror all I saw was a wall of smoke/steam out on the back of my G8.
Got her home still smoking and reeking of burnt coolant.
Got home took a look saw nothing, same this morning so off to the dealership.
The thermostat housing has cracked and is leaking, not a lot and not all the time but enough that its finished.
Parts on order totaling $75, labours going to be about $300, plus taxes.
Why did they put this housing in such a ridiculous place?
All in all it could have been worse i.e. head gasket.
Thanx to Les, Jeff and Jim for holding my hand on BBM this morning while at the dealership.

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
Lol. Your welcome bud. Glad it was nothing major

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Got off the highway last night, stopped at light, looked in mirror all I saw was a wall of smoke/steam out on the back of my G8.
Got her home still smoking and reeking of burnt coolant.
Got home took a look saw nothing, same this morning so off to the dealership.
The thermostat housing has cracked and is leaking, not a lot and not all the time but enough that its finished.
Parts on order totaling $75, labours going to be about $300, plus taxes.
Why did they put this housing in such a ridiculous place?
All in all it could have been worse i.e. head gasket.
Thanx to Les, Jeff and Jim for holding my hand on BBM this morning while at the dealership.
Not having luck to do with the hoses & now thermostat housing. I guess I will see what happens when I get more kilometers on mine.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tonight I start up my wifes Rabbit and get a red flashing coolant CEL.
Owners manual says its either Over-heating, well it's -10 with a wind chill of -15 and its sat for the last nine hours. Sorta ruled that one out....
Or its Low Coolant Level, in an unlit parking lot so I baby it home and let it cool off waiting for my mechanic son to get home.
There was coolant in the resovoir but it was juuust be low the sensor probe. Three quarters of a liter of coolant later problem solved, light out.
Not a G8 problem but with my G8 already down with cracked thermostat housing this was almost like piling on....

·
Premium Member
4,653 Posts
Presume both the thermostat and thermostat seal will be replaced along with the housing correct? Am primarily responsible for the maintenance of five vehicles and suffices one to say there is always something wrong with at least one of them. COTI - crying on the inside.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
New t-stat housing and gaskets finally came in and replaced this morning by Applewood Chevrolet.
Final cost just under $360 which I was extremely happy with.
There can't be many more coolant lines left to be replaced on this G8 now, I must have done most of them.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Since I had this repair done car there has been an odor of something else burning after driving, thought it was gasket sealer or penetrating fluid used while doing the repair.
Turns out its engine cleaner sprayed on by dealership that's worked it way into nooks and crannies. Neat.
Hope this stuff burns off fast, it really stinks.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Good to hear it's all mended. I still have occasional burning coolant odour with mine but I have checked it extensively (dye, black light and all) and I still can't find the source. Glad to hear your repair wasn't TOO expensive.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Adam, you may have to go to a pressure test.
So much of the the coolant system is behind the engine you can't see it, the thermostat housing for example.
Also look where the rubber lines from the heater core mate to the hard lines to the engine. Right rear of engine bay back by firewall.
These lines are hooked together by a quick connect type fastener from what I understand. This was my second leak, it leaked at the back of the connection of course where you couldn't see it and dripped on exhaust.
Good luck, these sporadic leaks are a pain.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts