Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about putting some JBL P662S speakers in the doors up front. I have heard really good reviews about them and can pick some up for $80 shipped.

I would like just a little more bass and am also considering replacing the 8's in the rear deck. I don't want to go crazy and would rather spend the money on go-fast parts, but the stockers just suck for quality. I have narrowed it down to 2 choices:

Kicker Comp C82 can get a pair for $90 shipped
Polk DB840DVC can get a pair for $100 shipped

Both have about the same frequency response and sensitivity. The Kickers are a 2-Ohm and the Polk are a DVC 4-Ohm. I might eventually add a small sub amp, but don't really have plans to right now.

·
Its Good To Be Tha King
9,064 Posts
Replacing the 8's will not amount to much of an improvement IMO.

Buy a nice 10" or 12" sub with matching amp, throw it in a sealed box, and done.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thought about it but I don't want to spend that much money, and I can't loose trunk space.

Would a person be better off replacing the amp and running the stock 8's, or replacing the subs and running the stock amp?

·
Its Good To Be Tha King
9,064 Posts
Would a person be better off replacing the amp and running the stock 8's, or replacing the subs and running the stock amp?
IMHO, neither is worth the cost.

amp on factory subs
http://www.g8board.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49731

You can have a custom box built in the rear right corner of your trunk for a 10" sub, and not loose much space.

You can also get a fiberglass box fitted to the spare tire well for subs.....
http://www.g8board.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14179&highlight=stealth+sub

·
Administrator
4,924 Posts
Thought about it but I don't want to spend that much money, and I can't loose trunk space.

From what I have read...neither. I really wanted to be able to utilize some 8s instead of using up trunk space as well but I keep reading thread after thread of people not really being successful with this setup. The rear deck is just too flimsy. It flexes with the punch of the speakers and takes away from the sound that they would be making without the flex. Not to mention it is hard to kill all the rattle that go along with putting subs in the rear deck. I have given up on the idea all together.

You might look into getting a box made that fits in the spot on the right side of the trunk right behind the tail light to keep from taking up space.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
dont waste your time and money on open air subs. get a self powered amp/sub/box combo to add some more thump or piece something together for a little more.

·
Registered
404 Posts
This weekend I'm getting the Alpine PDX-V9 installed in my car. I just wasn't confident in my soldering abilities so I'm having a place here in Glenview do it. They're going to mount the amp out of the way in the trunk. So if space is really a concern, say for Christmas with the Grandparents, I can just pull the sub out of the trunk and still run the door speakers.

I'm going to show them pictures of how folks have done it here with the two harnesses to avoid cutting and splicing of the factory wiring. I'm providing the speedwire, power and LOC. They knocked a couple hundred off the list price of the amp. It's still higher than Amazon but it's installed by a certified dealer and I'm getting a 4 year warranty on top of it.

·
Its Good To Be Tha King
9,064 Posts
So if space is really a concern, say for Christmas with the Grandparents, I can just pull the sub out of the trunk and still run the door speakers.
Me too. I can pull the amp, EQX, and sub all at once, in under 2 min.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts