Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Beep Beep I'm a Jeep.
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this is the right place for this... should be though.
I have a problem..... I currently use the Cortex tuner for my car. I have a nonstock tune on the car. I took the car into the dealer a few months back to have the airbag recall taken care of. To my understanding they program the airbag module and the tune isn't a problem. Today I plugged in my Cortex into my car and nothing happened.... I tried with battery on, with car running, car off, door open, etc. and nothing happened on the screen. I bring it to my laptop, plug it in and sure enough thing turns right on! I would imagine that for whatever reason they wrote over my tune at the dealer that it would still power on. So my question is what do I do? I did buy my cortex used so I'm not sure if superchips will be helpful and I dont really know how to tell my dealer that the sensor port might be broken without mentioning how I know.... any suggestions would be super helpful!

·
Registered
457 Posts
First I would try plugging the cortex into a different vehicle and see if does anything. If not, the issue is most likely with the handheld itself. Check and make sure there aren't any bent pins or anything. And in the future I would ALWAYS flash back to stock anytime it is going to the dealership, especially if you know they are gonna be hooking up the scanner to it. If they were to flash the stock files while it was still tuned then I believe your Cortex would no longer work on that vehicle. There is even a disclaimer about that in the directions. Good luck getting it figured out.

·
Registered
5,683 Posts
If you took the car in with the tune on it I bet they put it back to stock and the tune is gone. You may have to contact Cortex and see what they say, you may have to pay to have it unlocked.

·
Beep Beep I'm a Jeep.
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its not a matter of if they put stock back on or not. That shouldn't cause the screen on the cortex to not power on when plugged into the car but power on when plugged into US, right?. I'll contact SuperChips tomorrow.

I know I should have put it back to stock but it slipped my mind until after I already dropped the car off. SuperChips does offer unlocking the device for a fee, I'll just see what happens tomorrow when I call.

Thanks for the advice guys

·
Registered
457 Posts
If you took the car in with the tune on it I bet they put it back to stock and the tune is gone. You may have to contact Cortex and see what they say, you may have to pay to have it unlocked.
Yes, but even when it is currently tuning one vehicle you can still use it to read and clear obd2 fault codes on another so it should still turn on. I think he needs to get to the bottom of that issue first.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I'm gonna revive this thread a bit since I was having a similar issue. I had to take the car in for service, so I went to tune it back to stock. When I plugged it in, the screen was incredibly dim and almost impossible to read. I was able to make my way through the menus and get it tuned back to stock.

Out of curiosity I plugged it into the usb port on my computer and the screen came up fine. At this point i was ready to send it back to superchips to see if it could be repaired, and I figured it was an issue with the OBD cable. I decided to pop it open first to see if there was a loose connection anywhere. I pried it open, examined the plug for the OBD cable, and it didn't appear to be loose. I went ahead and pushed it in anyway like I was re-seating it. Updated the cortex, took it out to the car, and it worked fine after that.

·
Beep Beep I'm a Jeep.
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm gonna revive this thread a bit since I was having a similar issue. I had to take the car in for service, so I went to tune it back to stock. When I plugged it in, the screen was incredibly dim and almost impossible to read. I was able to make my way through the menus and get it tuned back to stock.

Out of curiosity I plugged it into the usb port on my computer and the screen came up fine. At this point i was ready to send it back to superchips to see if it could be repaired, and I figured it was an issue with the OBD cable. I decided to pop it open first to see if there was a loose connection anywhere. I pried it open, examined the plug for the OBD cable, and it didn't appear to be loose. I went ahead and pushed it in anyway like I was re-seating it. Updated the cortex, took it out to the car, and it worked fine after that.
Did you do anything special to open yours up? I tried just now and it seems pretty firmly attached to itself.

The OBD port on the G8 is fine and all pins are putting out thre power they should be.

SC said that I can ship them back the device and for a fee they'd fix it, but I'd rather fix it myself if possible.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I just used a thin knife in the gaps and twisted it to pop the cover off. I started near one of the openings where an adapter can be plugged in. The tabs that hold it together are near the corners. Once you get one popped up it gets easier.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts