Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Both are Zeta and I can see some of the same features in both. I did a search and really didn't turn up much.

Soooo What are some of the similarities that the CTS 08-09 Zeta have with the G8 Zeta ?

·
Registered
673 Posts
The CTS isn't zeta - sigma isn't it? They are talking the next gen may be zeta. The only cars in the US that are zeta are the G8 and the Camaro.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
ahhhhh, thanks for setting me straight on that. I was under the impression that the CTS was Zeta.

Thanks for correcting me.

more info for those interested here. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Sigma_platform

[edit] Sigma II
Sigma II, larger and wider than its previous counterpart, debuted with the 2008 CTS, and shares more parts with the larger Zeta than the smaller Sigma I. Sigma II is more flexible and features the Direct Injection 3.6 HF V6 as its primary engine and a new more powerful 3.6 L DI HF V6, as well as supercharged smallblock V8 for the V-Series CTS. Sigma will stay a Cadillac exclusive. Coupe and wagon versions could arrive as 2010 model years.

Vehicles using this platform:

Cadillac CTS 2008 - present

·
Registered
673 Posts
It would have been interesting to see these merge had the G8 not been killed. Maybe they still will move the next CTS to zeta - never know.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I was driving next to a new CTS-V last week and was wondering the same thing. The stance and attitude of the caddy looked a like it was built on the Zeta frame.

BTW, that caddy is an awesome looking car! Can't imagine doing a daily commute with a 600hp car, but it sure would be cool knowing you could dust every other car on the road...except the Corvette ZR1....in your CADDY :)

·
It did hurt a lot!
320 Posts
It would have been interesting to see these merge had the G8 not been killed. Maybe they still will move the next CTS to zeta - never know.
Zeta isn't dead and niether is the g8. It's surviving as other cars in the product line so the tech will not die with the name. Besides according to Lutz there is a good chance it will be a chevy in a year or two. Odds are the newer zeta light platform will be used for the next gen caddy.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Back to the cts I just sat in one and they are smaller on the inside than the G8 . Nice looking car but the back seat sukx compare top teh g8.

·
Banned
7,067 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
The wikipedia entry is somewhat misleading. It makes it seem like the Zeta and Sigma are more alike than they really are. The body structure and the suspension designs are totally different between the two platforms.

Also, the CTS replacement due in 2012-2013 will not use the Zeta platform. It will have its own unique rear wheel drive platform. It is codenamed Alpha and will be somewhat smaller and lighter (think 3 series) than the current CTS.

·
Registered
673 Posts
The wikipedia entry is somewhat misleading. It makes it seem like the Zeta and Sigma are more alike than they really are. The body structure and the suspension designs are totally different between the two platforms.

Also, the CTS replacement due in 2012-2013 will not use the Zeta platform. It will have its own unique rear wheel drive platform. It is codenamed Alpha and will be somewhat smaller and lighter (think 3 series) than the current CTS.
Hmm, I remember reading something saying the next gen CTS would be bigger and could be built on the zeta. That could be old news because at one time we were to get a BLS and it too may be RWD (that was to be the 3 series car). Of course the BLS is build on a FWD (Epsilon) chassis).

I think with the "new" GM nothing is for sure.

·
Registered
58 Posts
They were originally planning on using the large Zeta variant (Holden Statesman) to replace the DTS, but that got scuttled last year with the spike in gas prices. As I understand it, the current plan is to create a XTS flagship model that will be based on a widened and stretched Epsilon II (Malibu) platform with all wheel drive.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
7 Participants
z51l9889
Pontiac G8 Forum
A community for Pontiac G8 owners and enthusiasts, for all the information on your Pontiac G8 sedan, G8 GT, G8 V6, and G8 GXP. Discuss performance, tech, engine specs, body kits and more!
Full Forum Listing