Pontiac G8 Forum banner

CTS-V 6 Piston Question

2K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  JonRobbinSS 
#1 ·
Anyone foresee problems for my GT with running the CTS-V 6 piston Brembos on the front of my car while still running stock calipers on the rear - until my mod funds recouperate?? Will the braking be messed up or ABS go nuts??

This is not about wheels and clearance, I have that covered.

Thx!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#2 ·
Should not be an issue

#3 ·
If the new calipers/rotors now apply more braking force than the stock oem units, there will be a problem. Especially if the force is signfically greater. The brake bias will be altered and you will end up with front brake lock/abs activation and more nose dive.

I ran upgraded front brakes on my maxima. It was exactly like above until I upgraded the rears

#4 ·
Should be fine.

#11 ·
Another major factor is braking torque force is how far the caliper is from the center of the rotor. ie.. rotor diameter. That makes a bigger diff in brake torque than piston area imho.

If it's true that we have brake bias adjusters then that would indicate that your braking wouldn't be improved as the force of the front brakes is going to be limited to the amount of force the rears are going to be able to provide. You'd only be gaining fade resistance

#7 ·
Good feedback guys, thank you!

#8 ·
Slight hijack, but I was thinking about this setup as well and have the clearance covered with my CTS-V wheels, but my winter setup is the stock 18s. What would it take for the stock wheels to clear those big 6-pots? 20mm spacer? Longer studs?

#10 ·
i will plus one the tsw nurburgrings. been DD the 18s with the complete 2009 ctsv brakes for a while now. love the setup. more tire for the bumps. i drive dirt roads some. and lots of bad beatup roads. the only downside to them is there low load rating of like 1300lbs. but i drive mine pretty hard and havent bent one, so i feel confedent in them

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#15 ·
The only thing that you might want to consider is the bleeding process. In order to FULLY bleed the system you gotta get the Tech II tool used to activate the ABS to do the full brake flush. That's the only thing I would consider since you are gonna end up doing the fluid twice. I guess the 2nd go around do the full bleed.

I had mine put on for me, so I'm just speaking from what I remember being told.

#17 ·
The Factory Service Manual States this is only required if you induce air into the system upstream of the hydraulic modulator assembly.

If you don't introduce air into the system by letting the reservoir empty during the bleed process you will only be retaining a very small amount of old fluid in areas of the modulator that are normally closed unless the ABS system is active.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.