Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just did this install yesterday. Everything went well for the most part. Had to shim the rear calipers a bit to line up properly, but they centered up great. My question was regarding that bracket that comes with the pin kit. The fronts work perfectly, but we could not get the rear brackets to fit without contacting the rotor. You can hear the pins rattling around back there and it's annoying. How should these things be fitting?

Love the look of the new setup, though.

·
Premium Member
1,097 Posts
are you talking about the tension clips that go underneath the pins? If so, i had the same issue. I used a pry bar to take up any extra slop in the mounting holes for the bracket as i tightened the bolts. That gave me just enough clearance that the clips dont rub my rotors. I honestly believe the brackets need to be designed to move the calipers out another 1/16 of an inch to avoid this issue. Hope that helps

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, those are what I'm talking about. I'll try prying them up a bit when I have a chance to get the car in the air again. For now I'll just deal with hearing those pins rattle like loose change when I go over bumps. How are the rears such a tight fit when the fronts are like butter, they fit beautifully?

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Can you post a pic so we can get an idea what's the issue

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have an update on this one. After the brakes had some time to settle in, I tried to get the anti-rattle springs back in the rear calipers again. They still rubbed on the rotor. I thought I might be able to get them worn in after a quick drive and it ended up with them coming out of the caliper after the friction had slid them past the guide pin and out of the housing. My buddy, who is an experienced aircraft mechanic, said a simple 3/16th shave of the rotors would make everything fit perfect.

Has anyone else had this issue? I'm trying to find a machine shop now to cut them.

·
Premium Member
1,097 Posts
Something doesn't sound right. Yes, turning the rotor down would probably fix your problem. But you shouldn't have to. Can you measure the diameter of the rotors? What brand are they?

·
Mack
1,000 Posts
Sub'd for pics

·
Registered
5,035 Posts
I checked the rear brakes on the wifes Camaro last weekend. There was a ridge on the outer edge of the rotor. Thats with the original GM/Bremdo pads. Maybe find aftermarket pads that are slightly more generous with the pad material to cover more of the rotor. As for the clips. The camaro ones had triangle metal loops that only contacted the top centre of the pads. Maybe you got two sets of fronts.
the rears are different.

·
Registered
5,035 Posts
also are you using the GM shim plates with the pads?

·
Registered
242 Posts
I see what you mean. I just completed installing rear CTSV Brembos on my GXP and I see that one side will rub on the rotor. The other side looks to have clearance, but it's tight. My car is still up in the air, so I'm going to play around with it and see if I can give my self some more space between the rotors and the clip/pin assembly on the caliper.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Ok, I did a quick readjust on mine and it looks like it's going to work. There is very little clearance between the clips and rotors though. I won't know for sure until I get in back together early next week. Not sure if this is normal or not. My factory front Brembos have much more clearance. As an observer, it appears that we could use a little more clearance from the caliper bracket that is used to make the calipers fit. I'm no engineer though and maybe I'm missing something.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
To answer some questions, I am using all of the OEM CTS-V equipment as far as rotors, calipers and pin kits go. It's very, very close to clearing, but that ridge on top of the rotor is just a millimeter or two off. To clarify, I'm running the 17.76" rotors. If I were to have used the 14.36" rotor, everything would have fit beautifully, but I am a big fan of the huge rotor look so I chanced the larger OEM rotor. I'm sure in all of the part swapping and factory variance that there could be a couple millimeter difference in the fitment.

I'll get them machined down ever so slightly and it'll fit better than stock. Stopping power and fade is absolutely fantastic, though! I can deal with the rattling coin purse sound for a little bit until I get some time to dial it in.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Where does the 17" rotor come from?? Camaro uses 14.4 in the rear correct? Even the 09+ CTSV is like 15" in the front right? I never new there was a 17" + for the rear. How in the hell would a rim fit around that rotor and caliper assembly? Educate me. :D

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, that was a slight typo. That should have read 14.76. However, I'm my search to see just how big of a rotor I could get, I found a 405mm setup from Brembo running an 8-pot setup. Pretty pricey, but it looked awesome!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts