Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First of all, I appreciate the support for this project both on the board and locally. The goal of this thread is to keep you all informed as well as a place for your input. Originally, this was going to be a one off custom project, to squash the beaten horse of head unit options. Excuse my hyperbole! However, there was local support as well as on the board for this type of project, so why not make it accessible to all. The G8 community is not large, and therefore the plans, files, and software will be free. This will help with the cost. That said, I would also like to invite the Holden VE and Chevy Caprice folks as well. This is a hobby, I have a job, and a personal life so I do not have as much time and resources set aside for this. After failing again and again to find the best solution, I don't want to fail again. If you have a skill or believe you can help, please feel free to PM me. This is going to be fun!

Solutions that have not met my expectation over the last 4 years:

• The first thing I did was purchase the VIM from JHP. This allowed me to mirror my phone to the screen. There was still no way to control my phone from the head unit.
  • Somewhere on the board, there is a tutorial on how to add a touch screen overlay onto the stock head unit. I took the liberty to attempt a carputer running Windows 8.1 and Centrafuse 4 as well. The maps were ugly, it was glitchy, and had very few apps.
  • So, I found a great company from Australia, CustomGadz, that sold Bluetooth touch screen controllers for the purpose of phone-to-car integration. Because android has nice maps, tons of apps, and I had a broken screen on my phone, I thought it would be the perfect solution. The broken phone would act as the computer and I could control it all with the now integrated touch screen. Ugh, the USB port broke on my new phone, so I pulled the board from the broken phone.
  • Should I buy another phone for the car? The stock head unit resolution is junk, like 480p or something like that. It is only a 6.5 inch display. The overlay is an annoying resistive single touch panel. I had plans to integrate some sort of Bluetooth phone system, using an old Bury cc9045, but hadn't yet. Okay fine, if I purchase the Hics Android Head Unit, it will surely solve all those issues. Plus it has front camera abilities. But wouldn't you know, it too isn't what I want. Because Android 4.0 is so old, Google Maps won't update, and biggest of all, there is only around 256mb of app installation space. Oh and by the way, there are few apps that can be transferred to the SD slot. Did I mention that it only recognizes up to an 8GB microSD card!? The only extra apps I could install were Spotify, Dashcommand, and an LED controller app! The best part about it is the looks, 7 inch capacitive screen, couple of apps, and a front view camera. The camera is an excellent addition to see how close the car is from hitting the curb.
  • Back to the drawing board. (present) I like the idea of the Folcik controller, but it has a cheesy integrated look. Some people don't mind this, but I do. Plus, most head units seem slightly antiquated. A tablet install would be nice, but in Kansas it can be extremely hot or cold and the battery would likely explode. When I was in Chicago in 2016, I sat in a Tesla and played with the touch screen. It was epic! I need this in my car!
The inspiration (but with a better interface and more options):

Goals

Personal initial goals for the project:

• Stock/Factory modern look
  • The largest multi touch capacitive touch screen possible; the bigger the better, right?
  • Greater than or equal to Android 7 (Split Screen with the fabulous Google Maps and millions of apps)
  • Full steering wheel input control with voice control
  • Integrated AC control
  • Community input

Extended and Community Goals so far:

• Ability to slightly tilt the screen for better viewing or glaring issues
  • Mirror my phone and control AC with an app
  • Compatibility with Single Zone AC
  • Install an iPad pro or tablet instead of a screen (Modular design)
  • Retain a triple gauge pod option (Modular design)
  • Custom button cluster; an example would be Nitrous (Modular design)
  • Slot for phone/ induction charger (Modular design)
  • If you haven't caught on, a modular design (3D printing will shine here... print what you want. More to come on this.)
  • Manually control exhaust cutouts from new app / Automatically open and close cutouts with sport mode
  • Maybe a HUD using the Arduino and small display as the middle-man

Details

The advantage of 3D printing:

• Print what you want and the modules you want.
  • Precision and quality of higher end printers
  • Cost savings; most molds will costs tens of thousands of dollars
  • Time and labor; no need to fiberglass
  • There are a number of printing services online if you don't have access to a printer with PC/ABS
  • Customize the AutoCAD file to your liking
  • It can be printed in USA or Australia; no crazy shipping costs

Resources

·
Fuel Low
506 Posts
I'm looking forward to the results. I've just started learning C++ in QT, so I doubt I can be of any help, but if I can get to the point where I can make something useful I'll be sure to lend a hand.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Without searching for it right now. I think there is a thread for a tesla radio in a pick up. Wanna say it was put into a Colorado. If I remember right. If there was enough interest. There was gonna be some designed for the g8. I gotta find that thread now and reread it.

Did a quick reread. It was a tundra. Oh and the company making them are willing to make them for the g8 if there is enough interest in it. 200 units minimum.

·
Fuel Low
506 Posts
Oh and the company making them are willing to make them for the g8 if there is enough interest in it. 200 units minimum.
I was the one that spoke with them. The last email I had from them said they would consider it. There's no telling how long it would take them to do it, or even if they are actually doing it. Doing it ourselves is probably the best bet.

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
Solutions that have not met my expectation over the last 4 years:

• So, I found a great company from Australia, CustomGadz, that sold Bluetooth touch screen controllers for the purpose of phone-to-car integration. Because android has nice maps, tons of apps, and I had a broken screen on my phone, I thought it would be the perfect solution. The broken phone would act as the computer and I could control it all with the now integrated touch screen. Ugh, the USB port broke on my new phone, so I pulled the board from the broken phone.
  • Should I buy another phone for the car? The stock head unit resolution is junk, like 480p or something like that. It is only a 6 inch display. The overlay is an annoying resistive single touch panel. I had plans to integrate some sort of Bluetooth phone system, using an old Bury cc9045, but hadn't yet. Okay fine, if I purchase the Hics Android Head Unit, it will surely solve all those issues. Plus it has front camera abilities. But wouldn't you know, it too isn't what I want. Because Android 4.0 is so old, Google Maps won't update, and biggest of all, there is only around 256mb of app installation space. Oh and by the way, there are few apps that can be transferred to the SD slot. Did I mention that it only recognizes up to an 8GB microSD card!? The only extra apps I could install were Spotify, Dashcommand, and an LED controller app! The best part about it is the looks, 7 inch capacitive screen, couple of apps, and a front view camera. The camera is an excellent addition to see how close the car is from hitting the curb.
The G8's screen is 6.5" diagonally.

I had been looking for a capacitive touch screen overlay as resistive ones aren't as intuitive. It's been very hard to find one in that size that is capacitive. What I did find were companies that made capacitive touch screen overlays but generically offering a range of sizes. They'd state they could make them from 3"-10", etc. That to me says that they'd be able to make one but that it'd have to be custom. Custom = more money than something that's made in bulk.

I did a quick Google search for "6.5" usb touchscreen overlay," since customGadz mentioned that their MimicsG4 supports USB touchscreens, and found this touch screen overlay that they sell: 6.5" capacitive touchscreen - customGadz. It looks like they specifically had it made for the VE (of course this includes the G8) and some Audis. It also only costs $39.95 US.

This would be for those looking to keep the stock screen but looking into what customGadz has to offer or any other the other navigation boxes, as can be found here.

·
Registered
734 Posts
In for updates. This is great!

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For myself, this is the computer I plan to use; at least for development. It is the Firefly RK3399 development board. It is a six-core with 4GB RAM/32GB and runs Android 7.1.

Cheers

Documentation: http://wiki.t-firefly.com/index.php/Firefly-RK3399/en

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The G8's screen is 6.5" diagonally.

I had been looking for a capacitive touch screen overlay as resistive ones aren't as intuitive. It's been very hard to find one in that size that is capacitive. What I did find were companies that made capacitive touch screen overlays but generically offering a range of sizes. They'd state they could make them from 3"-10", etc. That to me says that they'd be able to make one but that it'd have to be custom. Custom = more money than something that's made in bulk.

I did a quick Google search for "6.5" usb touchscreen overlay," since customGadz mentioned that their MimicsG4 supports USB touchscreens, and found this touch screen overlay that they sell: 6.5" capacitive touchscreen - customGadz. It looks like they specifically had it made for the VE (of course this includes the G8) and some Audis. It also only costs $39.95 US.

This would be for those looking to keep the stock screen but looking into what customGadz has to offer or any other the other navigation boxes, as can be found here.
Thanks for the correction!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
I was the one that spoke with them. The last email I had from them said they would consider it. There's no telling how long it would take them to do it, or even if they are actually doing it. Doing it ourselves is probably the best bet.
Hope they do .

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So my car is 700 miles away right now! It is in the shop at Next Gen Auto getting an update. :burnout: Anyway, so I was thinking how awesome it would be to have electric cutouts that would automatically open up when you throw it into sport mode and close when in normal drive mode! If we can capture the action on the can bus, we can send the signal to open and close cutouts using an arduino or other micro controller! I will add it to the extended list.

Keep in mind that not all the features, bells, and whistles may or will be added, especially right away. There is a lot of preliminary work that is taking place right now. Just want to make that clear. However, like I've mentioned before, I am determined, and annoyed as much as some of you with our options.

More updates to come in the upcoming weeks. If you have great or crazy ideas and suggestions, lets hear it!

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So I have my car back, but have been sick for over a week. Today I felt well enough to install a temporary mount. While designing the dash and programming the car's new controller, I didn't what to drive the car around all torn up with the radio out. The touch screen is kind of expensive, but I needed something external, and as an IT guy, it will be useful for other tasks as well. I had to remove the fire extinguisher and used the bracket to mount the screen mount. Still not set on the screen and overlay combo for the redesign.

Mount: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F3F09NU
Touch Screen: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XK5A502

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm tired of not knowing what to call the future application! The beta app will be written for Android. It hasn't been started yet, but would like to give it a name for a start. What shall we name the app which will control the car?

Does anyone know if we can send Can Bus packets to the BCM to turn on or off headlights etc? If not, it would be neat if we could create a "man in the middle" adapter at the BCM to intercept and initiate these signals/circuits.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts