Pontiac G8 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Great news! Glad to see this getting off the ground.

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Update...

• The Trello board is up and I'm slowly adding things to it. If you have things to add to it, let me know. https://trello.com/b/3fFYntSh
  • I ran into the GAPPs issue last winter, and found this blog post today https://lineageos.org/Google-Play-Certification/! Totally Awesome!
  • The Firefly board has amazing specs, but is pricey and doesn't have the community support like a Raspberry Pi. The problem with the Pi is its specs. It only has 1GB of RAM. The ASUS Tinker Board doesn't run Android 7 (no split screen). I'm looking to purchase an ODROID-XU4. It has decent specs, community support, costs less, and runs Android 7.1. What do you think?
  • I've contacted an individual about getting the trim piece scanned. Just waiting on a quote.
  • Lastly, I'm doing research on how to use the Arduino. It's like Christmas!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Looking good. Hope it works out.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Glad to see your still chugging along at this great work I’m still excited to see the finish

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Update...

• I re-imaged the Firefly rk3399, but it still has issues, and has no community support. I'm ditching the Firefly and using the amazing ODROID-XU4 with Android 7.1 (Linage 14.1). This thing is legit!!! The XU4 isn't as powerful as the Firefly, is a little older, and is also using an older kernel, but at this point I don't care! It works with everything that gets plugged into it: GPS, camera, touch screen, mouse, keyboard, WIFI, Bluetooth. :wiggle: Oh and it already has a working Google Play Store app. The app store has more apps in it than my phone does. It may be older and slower, but it is faster than the Pi and cheaper than the Firefly. I hear that ODROID will be coming out with another board soon, but this thing works well for now.
  • The Github repositories are now created, but they don't have any code yet. GitHub - HRW5
  • During my workouts this week, I have been watching videos on how CAN works. It is amazing how similar it is to LAN.
  • Make sure to keep tabs on Trello.

Here is a hairball of wires plugged into the XU4!

·
Registered
325 Posts
great progress. In for more updates and thank you for tackling such a project.

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Update...

I've made a fire! :grin2: (not literally) It doesn't seem like much, but last week I made LEDs blink on the Arduino. This week I've made my first demo Android app. It has an ON/OFF button which turns the LEDs on and off on the Arduino. This is fun! I'd like to continue tinkering for several weeks as it is crucial to understand how everything will work together. Hopefully I can hook up the can shield soon.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Update...

• During my workouts this week, I have been watching videos on how CAN works. It is amazing how similar it is to LAN.
It's frightening if you think about security at all. GM's (and most if not all others for that matter) entire security around CAN is that nothing malicious is listening/transmitting on the network. Good if you want to make your own project to talk to the car, bad if a device connected to the bus wants to do harm. IMO the powertrain and safety functions should using a form of SSL and be on their own network separated from the infotainment and accessories. Displaying powertrain stuff on the IP/ODB/infotainment should be a one way affair.

Your project is ambitious and I wish you luck as I'd love nothing more than to replace the factory radio with something nicer. It is likely early to think about, but you'll want to be mindful of what kind of audio output options you have for those of us who desire higher sound quality over just playing music. More and more amplifiers and processors are accepting digital inputs.

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
I would totally be down for something like this, and an interface to put a tuning program or plug into would be awesome, where do I sign up for you to take my money haha!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Totes excited, been watching this since u started the thread forever ago

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
I feel bad that I haven't been posting to the board like I should. Here are a couple of pictures...

This is the unit that talks with the car. It consist of an Arduino Uno and a Can-Bus shield. This could talk to an IOS or an Android device. Not only that, but we could potentially hook up physical buttons and nobs to adjust AC.

This is the pin-out diagram...

It was annoying having to remove the screen off of the tablet mount and hide it every time I went to work or Walmart. Thieves aren't going to realize that it is just a monitor! LOL I cut the air vent out and made a nice cut on both sides of the "rails" of the trim so the monitor would sit flush against the trim. The top corners don't look nice, but everything else looks fantastic. The only tools I used was a Dermal, a ruler, and a heat gun (used plastic cut offs to make a bracket).

This is the back side of the trim and monitor. I cut a slit for the monitor to slide into from the back side. Next I fasted it at the top with some plastic brackets that I formed. The Velcro is to keep it from sliding side to side.

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
...Continued from previous post

Let the fun began! It was super annoying to remove the trim. Let me explain! To remove the radio trim, you practically have to remove the entire dash. To remove one piece, you have to remove another one first. But before that piece, it requires another one to be removed and so on! Ugh!

Re-purposing the old radio space for gadgets. It consists of a small router, a RGBW driver, a RGBW WIFI controller, a USB hub, and a 5v stepdown with USB ports. Eventually the Arduino and the Android board will be added in there. Currently those are in the glove box.

Finely installed... This is only temporary and will hopefully be 3D printed next year. I'm already missing the center vents.

A member on this board is going to see if they can get a 3D scan of the center stack trim piece this winter. That way we have a good starting point to develop a new trim design. In the mean time, I'm still fiddling around with making ZetaGate. There is a local guy who I may reach out to as well. I heard (unconfirmed) he is doing something similar with a Corvette and is taking it to SEMA or something.

Lastly, a wise person once told me one can only pic two of the following for a project: high quality, affordability, quick completion. My goal is good quality and affordability. So unfortunately this project will take time.:crying:

·
out front & pulling away
208 Posts
HRW5, Nice work, What steering wheel is that? Thanks

·
Registered
743 Posts
Looks really good. What do you intend to do with the center vents though? Move them up to the cubby?

HRW5, Nice work, What steering wheel is that? Thanks
That's a Holden SS wheel. Was a dealer option in Australia. There is a member on here who can get them for you.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Another great update. Hopefully this turns out nicer than the one that just came out in Australia. The renderings leave a bit to be desired but no units have shipped yet. Need to see final pictures before locking in my opinion. They were promising knobs for the HVAC but it looks to be all touchscreen and It uses an android unit.

41 - 60 of 88 Posts