Pontiac G8 Forum banner

61 - 80 of 88 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,586 Posts
Finely installed... This is only temporary and will hopefully be 3D printed next year. I'm already missing the center vents.

You also might want to take into account for those of us that have the HSV triple gauges; the bottom section curves...

Another great update. Hopefully this turns out nicer than the one that just came out in Australia. The renderings leave a bit to be desired but no units have shipped yet. Need to see final pictures before locking in my opinion. They were promising knobs for the HVAC but it looks to be all touchscreen and It uses an android unit.
Do you have any information or images for this?

Reactions: NU13

·
out front & pulling away
208 Posts
Looks really good. What do you intend to do with the center vents though? Move them up to the cubby?

That's a Holden SS wheel. Was a dealer option in Australia. There is a member on here who can get them for you.
Thanks for the reply. I just don't remember seeing the two indentations at 6 o'clock position on the Holden wheels that were for sale previously.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I just don't remember seeing the two indentations at 6 o'clock position on the Holden wheels that were for sale previously.
Yep. Same as the one on my car. I think that pic makes the indentations stand out more since he has black steering wheel trim.

·
Registered
50 Posts
HRW5 the work is phenomenal man great job. If I had any knowledge I could use to help u I would but just not my realm, I guess I’ll just walk away with my small input into the name haha. Keep us informed, let us know what u need, I wanna see u succeed at this!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
out front & pulling away
208 Posts
Yep. Same as the one on my car. I think that pic makes the indentations stand out more since he has black steering wheel trim.
Thanks for more info. Now I'll stay off this thread.

·
Pontiac Crazy
492 Posts
You also might want to take into account for those of us that have the HSV triple gauges; the bottom section curves...
I would be 100% be down for buying one if I could keep my Series 2 style surround and HSV gauges. The curved bottom just looks soooooo much better IMO.

·
Registered
325 Posts

Do you have any information or images for this?
Kayhan audio on Facebook. Was all over the g8 owners page yesterday.

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Thank you all for the fantastic support, help, and input! I'm passionate about this project and want it to succeed. Projects normally don't pan out if one doesn't have the passion.

Another great update. Hopefully this turns out nicer than the one that just came out in Australia. The renderings leave a bit to be desired but no units have shipped yet. Need to see final pictures before locking in my opinion. They were promising knobs for the HVAC but it looks to be all touchscreen and It uses an android unit.

I took a look at the touch screen you were referring to and totally agree. The interface is one of the ugliest ones that I have seen! It definitely doesn't meet my standards. One of the later goals for ZetaGate is to make it skinnable. People are all different, and each person has a different taste.

We probably won't be able to keep the series II trim since the screen won't fit between the "rails". The better news is that we can design the radio trim to look however we want! It needs to look as if it comes from the future. If you want to use ZetaGate and install a smaller screen into the dash, to retain the Series II trim, that should work as well. Someone would need to make the trim piece though.

An optional gauge pod cluster would be nice to have. Another thing I'd like to experiment with, is seeing if we could use the Arduino to communicate between a G8 and an AC controller from a new GM vehicle. If that would work, we could probably add it in as a modular optional. Here is the GM part number I am referring to: 23176290.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Very cool. In for updates. I wish I could help but this is way over my head.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Another thing I'd like to experiment with, is seeing if we could use the Arduino to communicate between a G8 and an AC controller from a new GM vehicle. If that would work, we could probably add it in as a modular optional. Here is the GM part number I am referring to: 23176290.
I happen to have one of those sitting on my desk and meant to get around playing with it...

Problem is, it's 10" wide. I'm definitely interested in some sort of canbus translator but we would probably need to find a GM HVAC controller that's narrower.

·
Registered
13 Posts
This looks pretty intriguing! I am currently running the stock radio with the touchscreen overlay and an Asus TinkerBoard. I've just found out that the TinkerBoard has an update to Android Nougat which I hope to install tomorrow. I primarily use it running the app Headunit Reloaded to act as an Android Auto head unit when I plug my phone in via USB. I also have a video switcher which allows me to run a rear camera, but as you can imagine there's a lot of hardware and wiring hanging out everywhere (hidden, but ugly).

I've seen the Kayhan unit and I think it's really ugly, but if they can get the A/C controls to work on Android that means we can too! I actually do like the look of their other unit for the G8 which looks similar to the other Android unit available. I like having at least some buttons. The vision in my head was to take the factory radio and faceplate and modify them for a bigger screen while leaving most of the buttons in tact for the A/C and radio controls. Then gut the actual radio and possibly the CD changer boxes and mount new hardware inside them. All assuming of course that someone can figure out the communication!

All that said, I wish you the best and while I myself like buttons I can't deny that your implementation of the large screen looks pretty great.

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
I can hear my car loud and clear!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not just the engine either LOL :wiggle: It's almost like Christmas... wait it is Christmas!

The following 6 packets are Volume Up, Volume Down, and Mute. More to come this weekend and next week!

·
LS2 slut
71 Posts
Must say that looks really impressive! Had i known about this before i went with the JVC headunit and G8 designs dash kit and HVAC unit....

·
Registered
294 Posts
Loving the progress on this project. I've used this method of photogrammetry with moderate success. It only requires a quality phone camera and a PC to make the models. I would try it myself but I'd rather not as taking the dash apart was miserable the first three times I did it.

I'm also curious as to what your looking to have 3D printed. A full trim piece similar to the factory one is going to be a challenge on any consumer model printer. My printer is on the larger side (although certainly not the largest) and it is roughly 8 cubic inches. Also, if your looking for something that lasts in a daily driven automobile its probably going to need to be ABS which introduces more difficulties as the print size increases. Not to say it's impossible, but to have a aesthetically pleasing end product is going to require a fair bit of resources.

Not trying to dissuade you from a custom piece, but I'm just looking to contribute my limited expertise on the subject. As much as love 3D printing, I eventually came to realize there are just some situations where the problem can be approached more effectively. Best of luck!

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
I happen to have one of those sitting on my desk and meant to get around playing with it...

Problem is, it's 10" wide. I'm definitely interested in some sort of canbus translator but we would probably need to find a GM HVAC controller that's narrower.

I had no idea the HVAC controller was 10 inches!!! The pictures are too deceiving! Do you know of one that may work?

Loving the progress on this project. I've used this method of photogrammetry with moderate success. It only requires a quality phone camera and a PC to make the models. I would try it myself but I'd rather not as taking the dash apart was miserable the first three times I did it.

I'm also curious as to what your looking to have 3D printed. A full trim piece similar to the factory one is going to be a challenge on any consumer model printer. My printer is on the larger side (although certainly not the largest) and it is roughly 8 cubic inches. Also, if your looking for something that lasts in a daily driven automobile its probably going to need to be ABS which introduces more difficulties as the print size increases. Not to say it's impossible, but to have a aesthetically pleasing end product is going to require a fair bit of resources.

Not trying to dissuade you from a custom piece, but I'm just looking to contribute my limited expertise on the subject. As much as love 3D printing, I eventually came to realize there are just some situations where the problem can be approached more effectively. Best of luck!

Glad you brought this up. These are questions I still have. It is a lot of trial and error. How are we going to image the dash piece, and then what are the 3D printer options. I was hoping someone from the community has access to a professional 3D Scanner. You also mentioned printing size. There are two options that I can think of.

1. Design the dash so the pieces fit together in a waterfall layered kind of way. This would allow a modular approach, and the pieces wouldn't be as big.
  2. The second option is to let an online 3D printing service do the job since they have more capable printers.
We defiantly need to use Poly Carbonate ABS since regular ABS will put off fumes if it warms up.

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #78 (Edited)
This is harder than anticipated. It almost always takes me 3 times longer! LOL

A basic app is almost built. I'm not happy with the design yet, but needed to get some buttons on the screen. This is my first Android app programming experience. :surprise: The numbers are currently placeholders and I am working on connecting everything up programmatically. When I have the basics working, I will post a video and a basic how to. The first two images are from a phone screen size. The last picture is on the head unit.

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
Any updates on this?

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
Any updates on this?

It's been busy since Christmas, so I don't have much of an update. :| Here are two quick demo videos though. I need to get the code out to GitHub so you all can download it.

Remote and Hardware Demo

GMLan and ODROID/LinageOS Demo

61 - 80 of 88 Posts