Pontiac G8 Forum banner

81 - 88 of 88 Posts

·
Pontiac Crazy
492 Posts
I'd almost be willing to bet that the ZetaGate and Ardunio Monitor apps are crashing because only one app can have control of the communication bus to the Arduino at a time. When you go back to the home page the other app is still in the background and blocks access to the next one. If you get that code up on GitHub I'll do my best to help out where I can. I'm not the greatest programmer but I could always use the practice, plus I need an excuse to break out my Arduino again.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hey man how’s everything going with this have you been able to work on it or have you decided to let it go? Understandable if so just wondering how things are going I havnt forgotten about u haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
Hey man how’s everything going with this have you been able to work on it or have you decided to let it go? Understandable if so just wondering how things are going I havn't forgotten about u haha

TLDR; I haven't been working on it lately, but am truly enjoying it! :wiggle:

Unfortunately there has been so much going on. I've been on a number of trips and there are multiple projects that I am working on at one time. We had a bunch of rain several weeks ago and that is when I discovered the car has a leak!!! Ugh! We sucked up about 2 gallons of water with the shop-vac on the drivers side. The car is currently apart, so as to locate the leak. While it is apart, I plan on applying sound deadening to the entire roof and floor. The inside looks like a race car right now!

One of the projects that I am working on is a personal website. I plan to put photos on it instead of Dropbox. The next step I have is to create a simple tool to analyze and document the GMLan packets. The GMLan bible is a great start but is not well organized and documented. One of the other things I have been working on is researching and learning about integrated circuits (ICs) and the I2C/SPI protocols. I wasn't able to find a good headless radio MCU that could be controlled by USB. This lead me to investigate on how to make a custom circuit board. However, I don't want feature creep like this to get in the way just yet.

Before I started traveling a couple months ago, I built a tray to hold all of the electronics on the shelf in the glove box. I'll try to post some pics of that soon.

It was absolutely amazing to have a large 13 inch touch screen to travel through large cities. It makes navigation much easier. When the weather turned bad, it blared out saying, "You are now in a tornado warning area!" The weather radar and navigation where both on the screen at the same time. On another trip, I had both Waze and Google maps running at the same time, saying information like, "There is a vehicle on the side of the road ahead!" and "There is a slow down in 2 miles!" When Google or Waze is full screen, I can see about 10 miles of distance on the map. Oh, and Gas Buddy is awesome too!

Just get the Kayhan Audio system for the G8.

This is a fantastic option as we hardly have any. For myself, I have been down this road too many times though. The android head unit that I bought from Ace for $900 is now old and it doesn't run well. I don't want to spend $600-$1200 on a new system that in 3 years the OS is out of date and cannot be updated. The interface/system should be like a USB peripheral. The computer only costs $120-$200 and you plug the MCU in using USB. Who keeps their phone for more than 3 years? It becomes slow, old, and unsupported! Plus, there are always new features in new phones. That said, I've had my phone for three and a half years, because it is now free! :wall: Your point is well noted, it is easier to buy the Kayhan Audio system.

·
Registered
96 Posts
This is a fantastic option as we hardly have any. For myself, I have been down this road too many times though. The android head unit that I bought from Ace for $900 is now old and it doesn't run well. I don't want to spend $600-$1200 on a new system that in 3 years the OS is out of date and cannot be updated. The interface/system should be like a USB peripheral. The computer only costs $120-$200 and you plug the MCU in using USB. Who keeps their phone for more than 3 years? It becomes slow, old, and unsupported! Plus, there are always new features in new phones. That said, I've had my phone for three and a half years, because it is now free! :wall: Your point is well noted, it is easier to buy the Kayhan Audio system.
I too bought the Ace Android unit and it's sitting in the box in my garage - I got frustrated with constant issues and lack of solid support from the vendor and gave up. For the price, I agree that we should have gotten a lot more.

A swappable head unit with the screen/controls remaining is an awesome idea, and frankly I don't see why vendors don't do that... it's a potential source of recurring sales for them. Unfortunately, our car is very low volume in the USA, so that I'm sure explains part of the high cost of entry...

·
Registered
50 Posts
TLDR; I haven't been working on it lately, but am truly enjoying it! :wiggle:

Unfortunately there has been so much going on. I've been on a number of trips and there are multiple projects that I am working on at one time. We had a bunch of rain several weeks ago and that is when I discovered the car has a leak!!! Ugh! We sucked up about 2 gallons of water with the shop-vac on the drivers side. The car is currently apart, so as to locate the leak. While it is apart, I plan on applying sound deadening to the entire roof and floor. The inside looks like a race car right now!

One of the projects that I am working on is a personal website. I plan to put photos on it instead of Dropbox. The next step I have is to create a simple tool to analyze and document the GMLan packets. The GMLan bible is a great start but is not well organized and documented. One of the other things I have been working on is researching and learning about integrated circuits (ICs) and the I2C/SPI protocols. I wasn't able to find a good headless radio MCU that could be controlled by USB. This lead me to investigate on how to make a custom circuit board. However, I don't want feature creep like this to get in the way just yet.

Before I started traveling a couple months ago, I built a tray to hold all of the electronics on the shelf in the glove box. I'll try to post some pics of that soon.

It was absolutely amazing to have a large 13 inch touch screen to travel through large cities. It makes navigation much easier. When the weather turned bad, it blared out saying, "You are now in a tornado warning area!" The weather radar and navigation where both on the screen at the same time. On another trip, I had both Waze and Google maps running at the same time, saying information like, "There is a vehicle on the side of the road ahead!" and "There is a slow down in 2 miles!" When Google or Waze is full screen, I can see about 10 miles of distance on the map. Oh, and Gas Buddy is awesome too!

Look man I support you 100%. You took on this massive project and here are probably a 100 guys that want you to succeed so they can benefit from it, I mean I’m one of them. But I understand it’s not your job it’s a hobby and life happens. I want you to finish and succeed and create a much needed and glorious stereo for our car but I also understand that’s a lot to ask someone. I don’t understand the IT portion of this at all or I would jump right in to help you along, and damn I’ll start learning some stuff now and try to help if it would benefit you.

Keep us updated man and ask for help whenever you need it, I’m sure some of us on here can help or can maybe get help.

I know you said this would all be free but if I’m going to pay for something this is what it would be for. Coming from an individual who truly loves the vehicle they are making the product for makes it work and worth it. So again let’s us know what you need if anything and I hope you find the time and motivation to finish this because I have no doubt it’ll be awesome.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hey buddy, just doing my annual annoying check in to see if you had a chance to tackle this project or not?

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
Hey buddy, just doing my annual annoying check in to see if you had a chance to tackle this project or not?

This past year has been frustrating for all of us! I truly appreciate the check up. It feels as though I've ghosted my car and the community! I haven't been able to work on this for a number of months due to my work load. 😭 The touch screen is obviously not complete, and won't be for a while. It is on the back burner until things slow down a bit. My budget for the project has been depleted, however, I have all the electronic hardware necessary. It is just a matter of programming and reverse engineering, which is free! This project is my achilles heel and I still have plans to complete and share the information. I've taken the car on a couple more trips since the last post and I can't imagine having a small screen for the GPS anymore! Thank you all again.

81 - 88 of 88 Posts