Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
two lane black top
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone know what the casting numbers to the l76 heads are? maybe also some heads that would be a direct swap???? onto the block???

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
0821 iirc. LS3/L92 heads are about the same, think they have some different exhaust/intake valves, Could be wrong I would have to look at the parts catalog to be sure.

·
two lane black top
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
any idea if a dod system would still work on ls3 heads??

·
Premium Member
1,097 Posts
Yes. The ls3 heads are the same casting as our. (L92/l76) the difference is the ls3 heads have lighter intake valves. A few guys have purchased the valves and swapped them into their heads, essentially making them ls3 heads.
I have a set of ported ls3 heads sitting on my garage floor waiting for me to put them on.
There is no issue with the dod system and using other heads.
You have a hand full of options.

-Gmpp cnc ls3 heads. Brand new, flow better and have the lighter intake valvles.
-Buy ls3 heads new or used. Have them ported then install them (what I did)
-Pull your heads, send them off to be ported and have the intake valves installed at the same time.
-Buy someone's stock heads and send them off for same treatment. Saves down time. Sell your stock heads afterward to recoup some $ (probably fastest/cheapest)
- Buy aftermarket heads from any manufacture, anything for a ls3 will bolt up to your block.

I recommend contacting Rick C for porting service. He is a awesome guy to deal with, very fair pricing and does outstanding work.
Good luck

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Yes. The ls3 heads are the same casting as our. (L92/l76) the difference is the ls3 heads have lighter intake valves. A few guys have purchased the valves and swapped them into their heads, essentially making them ls3 heads.
I have a set of ported ls3 heads sitting on my garage floor waiting for me to put them on.
There is no issue with the dod system and using other heads.
You have a hand full of options.

-Gmpp cnc ls3 heads. Brand new, flow better and have the lighter intake valvles.
-Buy ls3 heads new or used. Have them ported then install them (what I did)
-Pull your heads, send them off to be ported and have the intake valves installed at the same time.
-Buy someone's stock heads and send them off for same treatment. Saves down time. Sell your stock heads afterward to recoup some $ (probably fastest/cheapest)
- Buy aftermarket heads from any manufacture, anything for a ls3 will bolt up to your block.

I recommend contacting Rick C for porting service. He is a awesome guy to deal with, very fair pricing and does outstanding work.
Good luck
All correct and yes Rick Crawford would be the way to go if you are wanting to get any porting done.

·
two lane black top
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sweet i was considering getting weither some used heads, l92/ls3 get um ported prolly by rick c. thay was when its time, i dedicate a weekend to a swap and a tune.

hella sweet. any other ls heads work? jus wondering

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
cathedral heads will work if I'm thinking correctly which are on the LS7? I would need to look at the parts catalog to verify. But from what I have read they are not as good as the rectangle port (ls3/l92/L76). Though I have seen some that have done some pretty good setups with cathedral, I think one of them was Pat G iirc.

·
Administrator
4,924 Posts
I think the cathedral are the LS1/LS2/LS6 cars. LS7 is kind of by itself with port design. Its similar to the rectangle port but not quite the same and the port is positioned a little bit differently I think. Most any of these heads will bolt onto the LS3 block I think but the main thing is having the intake to match.

·
two lane black top
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i heard of pat g using cathedral heads n gettn sum good figures. ill find out some more info on that.

·
Administrator
4,924 Posts
i heard of pat g using cathedral heads n gettn sum good figures. ill find out some more info on that.
I heard that build ended up costing some big bucks and probably wouldn't be worth it. The LS3 heads really are pretty amazing. Some M6 camaro guys are getting over 500 at the wheels with cam and boltons WITHOUT porting the stock heads.

·
Registered
786 Posts
What is a average/fair price for bone stock ls3/l92 heads. NEW and USED? I checked craigslist and ebay and didnt come up with anything that looked good.

·
two lane black top
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What is a average/fair price for bone stock ls3/l92 heads. NEW and USED? I checked craigslist and ebay and didnt come up with anything that looked good.
yea ive noticed they are pretty hard to find used lol

i wouldnt mind gettin a hold of someone thats parting out a camaro like that lol. get that and the rears, call it a day XD

·
two lane black top
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i think i need to do some snoopin in the camaro forums...

·
Premium Member
1,097 Posts
I heard that build ended up costing some big bucks and probably wouldn't be worth it. The LS3 heads really are pretty amazing. Some M6 camaro guys are getting over 500 at the wheels with cam and boltons WITHOUT porting the stock heads.
From what I remember, he used some AFR cathedral heads and a ported FAST manifold. You would also have to buy rockers for those heads. In my opinion not worth the cost.

If you don't mind the down time the most cost efficient dollar/hp mod would be to pull your entire top end- manifold, heads, and tb. Send them to Rick and re install them. Like I said earlier, to avoid down time try to find some used heads, send them off. Rick usually has a intake/tb combo that you can buy from him and then send yours to him in return. Hopefully you could sell your stock heads afterward for the same price you bought the used ones for.

Fwiw I have read that the lighter valves are not as critical to have unless you are planning on running a pretty large cam. If you are going to keep it a mild/medium build the l92 valves are ok.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
LS3 heads bare can be obtained for around 400 at summit or probably best deal would be Greg at Pace.

·
two lane black top
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Stocks? At pace??

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Google, stock ls3 heads pace, it will find it. Not for sure if they are a vendor or not so I dont want to post a link. Watch what your getting though some heads come bare others are assembled.

·
Premium Member
1,097 Posts
That must be bare price. There's no reason to buy those. The assembled price I think is just over 600 each.
Part number is 12629063

Edit- I just looked them up. Google "ls3 heads" summit wants 619$, sdparts (great reputation) wants 500$. What I did was bought the heads through summit and had them delivers straight to Rick. That way I saved shipping one way (summit has free shipping) Summit also price matches, you should be able to get them to match sdparts and still get the free shipping.

·
Registered
786 Posts
whats the difference between the bare heads and the complete heads? wouldn't you want the bare heads because you would be replacing the parts on the complete set anyways...?

·
Premium Member
1,097 Posts
whats the difference between the bare heads and the complete heads? wouldn't you want the bare heads because you would be replacing the parts on the complete set anyways...?
The bare heads are just that. Bare castings. They don't come with the hollow intake valves that we want, or any springs. You want those valves if you are running a larger cam. The springs you would replace bit are usually worth $50 or so to the right person. New stem seals are a plus as well.

Edit- usually the porter needs valves in the heads when he does the work. I know with Rick he re cuts the valves to increase the flow. Bare heads wouldn't work in that case.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts