Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally found a GXP that's only 50 miles from me but the Car-Fax says it was in an accident and had to be towed, (right rear damage). My question is how badly will this hurt the value of this car now and in the future??

The GXP is currently for sale at a large GM dealership and their asking $29,900 for it, (37K miles), most GXP's are listed for well over $30K.

I currently have a 2008 GT that is MINT although it does have 60K miles, but it's like new. I was thinking of offering them my car and $5K????

·
Registered
5,683 Posts
Carfax reports ARE NOT 100%! I know I know I know how DARE I say such a thing?! Well because its the truth. Did you know if your car is involved in an accident and goes to a body shop for repairs you can tell that body shop you do not want your car reported to Carfax regardless of who pays to fix it? Yup its true!

But since you know its been wrecked see if you can find out how bad it was. I mean the dude may have backed over those one way tire spike things and damaged the bumper or it may have been nailed by a Mack truck.

After you find out if the damage is livable to you then make the offer. I wouldn't worry too much about re-sale unless you find it was a Mack truck that did it.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Carfax reports ARE NOT 100%! I know I know I know how DARE I say such a thing?! Well because its the truth. Did you know if your car is involved in an accident and goes to a body shop for repairs you can tell that body shop you do not want your car reported to Carfax regardless of who pays to fix it? Yup its true!

But since you know its been wrecked see if you can find out how bad it was. I mean the dude may have backed over those one way tire spike things and damaged the bumper or it may have been nailed by a Mack truck.

After you find out if the damage is livable to you then make the offer. I wouldn't worry too much about re-sale unless you find it was a Mack truck that did it.
This is correct i have seen both cars that have been in accidents with no record and cars with no accidents with issues reported.

I know first hand about a 2001 Volvo S60 2.4T totaled by the insurance co on the road with no issues reported on the carfax. all it takes is telling the body shop "do not report this on the VIN" As for things already on the car fax they tend to be true.

On the other hand just because it was towed does not mean it had major damage for instance if i was in a "minor" accident that was going to go to insurance i would demand my car be towed to avoid any further damage to the vehicle.

That report is your best tool to get more money off, although i doubt you will get much more off that price. I highly doubt the dealer will go for your deal but stranger things have happened. my guess would be a trade value of $19k due to the miles just from reading what people have got recently on trade. so you are looking at your car and $10k in my mind. the dealer has a lot of cost to cover you have to remember.

As far as future value it will always diminish the value for the people that check the car fax but their are alot of people that just look for a clean title. I check the carfax because it helps the negotiation.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
About this Discussion
2 Replies
3 Participants
lvgmman
Pontiac G8 Forum
A community for Pontiac G8 owners and enthusiasts, for all the information on your Pontiac G8 sedan, G8 GT, G8 V6, and G8 GXP. Discuss performance, tech, engine specs, body kits and more!
Full Forum Listing