Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just about to pull the trigger on Solo axle backs but decided to check the MVI manual.
This is what it says:
Every motor vehicle shall be
equipped with a muffler in good
working order and in constant
operation to prevent excessive or
unusual noise and no person shall
operate a vehicle on the highway
equipped with a muffler cutout,
straight exhaust, gutted muffler or
bypass or similar device.
A baffled muffler must be used that
is equivalent to manufacturer’s
original equipment with respect to​
sound emission.

Our cars have to be inspected every 2 years. I could always just go with the Solo's and change over when I have to get inspected or it looks like my options based on trying to keep it on the cheaper side of things are Pypes or the OBX axle backs.

I wanted the Solo's because of the drone. This is my first car with a V8, I might be able to handle the drone but I don't think I can handle the nagging that will accompany said drone when my wife is in the car.

Do I go with the Solo's anyway and risk a ticket and have to swap over to stockers when inspection time rolls around, go with axle backs that drone, or wait and spend about 3 to 4 times the cost and get Corsa's.

I don't want to get into getting a local shop to make something, cost around here would pretty much equal Pypes anyway.

Just blowing off some steam:cursin:

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
I would do what you first suggested. Change back to the stock mufflers when you have to go for inspection. Or you could do GXP axle backs and keep em on all the time!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
151 Posts
That's a gray area, find out what they define as a muffler. Technically we have the mid muffler and resonators as well. Virginia (I think this is still the case) calls a muffler anything that dissipates sound. In the gray area, a turbo dissipates sound. This also depends on how cool your inspection guy is.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's a gray area, find out what they define as a muffler. Technically we have the mid muffler and resonators as well. Virginia (I think this is still the case) calls a muffler anything that dissipates sound. In the gray area, a turbo dissipates sound. This also depends on how cool your inspection guy is.

It wouldn't paste in a picture, it shows that a "normal" muffler as acceptable and a straight pipe, turbo muffler style as unacceptable.
Honestly I don't think it would be a big problem around here as long as I changed it over at inspection time.
I probably will still go with the Solo's after a bit more thought. I don't usually see cars being inspected on the road unless they have an enforcement drive on and it's usually old POS cars and riced up civics pulled over.
Just need to vent

·
Registered
5,037 Posts
How will they know. You have 3 other mufflers on the car. Get the Solo axleback

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The last sentence is somewhat troubling. "A baffled muffler must be used that is equivalent to manufacturer’s
original equipment with respect tosound emission."

To me that is saying that anything aftermarket that is louder than OEM is not legal. That's foolish considering the sound coming from some Harley's on the road.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Or you could do GXP axle backs and keep em on all the time!
This is what I did. You'll love the sound improvement. I also had the mid-muffler removed and an x-pipe put in. Not sure if you could get away with that though. Buy the GXP's. They'll cost a little less than the Solos.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
..Yep..go with the GXP mufflers I have had a set of them much nicer sound and lighter than the stock G8 axel backs hit the rubber mounts with a lot of WD40 to help them slip off and the new ones go on...

·
Registered
363 Posts
I welcome rules like that here in Alberta. The countless ******** here with the diesel trucks that have the stove pipes coming through the box up to the roof of the cab are very noisy and blow black smoke for miles!!!!

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I welcome rules like that here in Alberta. The countless ******** here with the diesel trucks that have the stove pipes coming through the box up to the roof of the cab are very noisy and blow black smoke for miles!!!!
You are in the wild west out there, lol.
Maybe the black smoke is their way to show support for the oil sands.

·
HPT Pro Tuner
3,815 Posts
Go with whatever mufflers you want, pick any straight through design and try them, small bullet mufflers would resonate more because they have less or none packing material to muffle down the noise.

Some people have gone with Hooker Maxflow without drone, I don't have any of the commercial Magnaflow CB's, but a full custom setup in 2.5" without cats, Magnaflow X and Magnaflow 12226 oval mufflers, plus i have LT's, all with ZERO drone, and like i've stated many times, Drone never bothered me anyways, but i find funny a lot of people have said their Magnaflow CB was a drone machine, so check for yourself, and see if you can live with it, Drone can be severely overrated, especially when you read too much. , so let your ears decide, or your wife :), in any case, you have options in case the buzz bothers you.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts