Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
boosted
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sooooo this is the 3rd dip i've done on my car so far, and by far the wildest.. Burnt copper was the fisrt, then carbon red, and now a custom color shift that I call darkshift.. Depending on the angle and lighting it's blue, purple or black. This was done with Pro line and a custom mix of pearls. I'm in the process of putting it back together still, this was soon after unmasking it.

Burnt copper

Carbon red

Darkshift

·
Registered
210 Posts
Love the copper

·
Registered
592 Posts
Wow! All 3 look great.

What's the timeline on these? How long/well did it hold up?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Damn I want to dip my car, they look great

·
Registered
269 Posts
They all look awesome. People like to hate on plastidip, but if it's done right with quality product I think it makes a great finish. I'm interested to see your next color choice.

·
boosted
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow! All 3 look great.

What's the timeline on these? How long/well did it hold up?
If done right, it will hold up as long as you maintain it. There's wash and detailing products specifically made for dip that will help it last. The only downside to dip is that it's not solvent resistant, if you were to spill gas on it, it would stain or melt it. I've never had an issue with my past dips though, i just peeled them to change the color, they would have lasted several years honestly.

·
Registered
892 Posts
They all look great. The copper looks like the pre-production autoshow GXP that they had going around. On a side note, how do you like those hood scoops? I saw them on Ebay and wanted to pick up a set but wasn't sure about fitment.

·
boosted
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
They all look great. The copper looks like the pre-production autoshow GXP that they had going around. On a side note, how do you like those hood scoops? I saw them on Ebay and wanted to pick up a set but wasn't sure about fitment.
They fit pretty well, one of mine is a little warped i think. They just clip in where the OEM scoops do, there's 3 other tabs that would clip into the hood, but we don't have the holes for them obviously, i just used some 3M trim tape to stick them down, seems to hold up well.

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
Wow you have some real talent there. I love all the different iterations of the colors. Beautiful job on all of them. How long does it take from the day that you say "I want something different" to ... prepped, dipped, and buffed? The amount of work you put into it definitely shows.... looks great man!!

And I can only assume that you mix your own colors and airbrush it on there, right? No rattlecan stuff, thats for novices, right?

--zepcom

·
boosted
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Link to where you got that horizontal light bar for your headlights? And do you have daytime shots with the light bar on?
got the leds from Neon LED Lights | LED Accent Lights | LED Lights For Cars | Xkglow here's an instafram video i posted earlier http://instagram.ford1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/t50.2886-16/18855402_120480221864150_7730419453187325952_n.mp4
this video is before i tinted them.
Wow you have some real talent there. I love all the different iterations of the colors. Beautiful job on all of them. How long does it take from the day that you say "I want something different" to ... prepped, dipped, and buffed? The amount of work you put into it definitely shows.... looks great man!!

And I can only assume that you mix your own colors and airbrush it on there, right? No rattlecan stuff, thats for novices, right?

--zepcom
Thanks! It takes about a weekend to get the car ready for a new color, peel the old dip, remove trim, wipe everything down with prep solvent, mask windows and everything from overspray, etc.. Yes, I mix the pearls and colors myself, the product I use is sprayed with a compressor and HVLP gun. Rattle cans would not work to do a whole car

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
When you say "peel the dip", does it come off in larger sheets or little chunks for lack of a better word.
Am thinking this could be a tedious process depending on how the dip comes off.
Agree with Zepcom, Bro, you've got talent....I cringe to think of what my G8 would look like if I attempted this.
Again waiting for your next project.

·
boosted
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
When you say "peel the dip", does it come off in larger sheets or little chunks for lack of a better word.
Am thinking this could be a tedious process depending on how the dip comes off.
Agree with Zepcom, Bro, you've got talent....I cringe to think of what my G8 would look like if I attempted this.
Again waiting for your next project.
Each panel peels off in one sheet for the most part. Check out my Instagram video of me peeling it https://www.instagram.com/p/BUSwJdIhdtg/

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
Nice work!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
About this Discussion
27 Replies
15 Participants
LTUNA03
Pontiac G8 Forum
A community for Pontiac G8 owners and enthusiasts, for all the information on your Pontiac G8 sedan, G8 GT, G8 V6, and G8 GXP. Discuss performance, tech, engine specs, body kits and more!
Full Forum Listing