Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 09 G8 GXP looses all dash function and goes black. Headlights work but other lights don't including brake lights. Dash freezes, no turn signals, not bright light indicator, no gauges.... all is black. First time it happened was under heavy acceleration but since the it has occured under normal driving three times in the last 6 months.
I read earlier post that never found the cause. Help if you can. Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,174 Posts
At a time when it is working correctly, it would be very interesting to know "what" happens to the instrument cluster display if you were to pull the F5-10A fuse on the rear fuse panel. That fuse is labeled as "INST/DISP" an shows that it supplies the B+ voltage to the Instrument Cluster an DIC. If the results are the same as when it fails driving along, you would at least have an idea of what circuit requires a little T/S

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pulling the F5 fuse is the way i've been resetting it. I did remove it with the car running and the dash went black, however the signal and brake lights still work witch they wouldn't under actual blackout. I also have a 99 Z28 in which a similar thing happened to the dash. It didn't lose all function but most of the dash malfunctioned. The Z28 board had that traced to the BCM and knew which connection had been "cold soldered". I took to a phone repair shop, they resoldered it and good as new. Wonder if the same fix may apply here?

·
Premium Member
4,174 Posts
It would be sad if the BCM internals were shutting down on you. I see that the BRAKE ,TURN SIGNAL, and the modules wake-up circuits, utilize the X4 (black in color) connector to the BCM. If you, or the prior owner had worked with any of those small connectors (for whatever reason), maybe one or more of them to the BCM are not latched as well as they should be.

·
Registered
525 Posts
use a scanner that reads body codes or tech 2, ck for Uxxxx codes, that is common for a faulty cluster

1 - 6 of 6 Posts