Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
09 SBM G8 GT
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
soo, i usually use my iPad when using dashboss in the car, but i forgot it in the house one day, while on vaca and used my girlfriends iPhone, i was curious and needed the app, because i had just filled my tank with Shell V-Power 93 octane and wanted to see if there were any noticeable differences between vPower and the Sunoco 93 i usually use. Well i noticed with her iPhone dashboss app that the AFR and other parameters were different in the same conditions, anyone have an explanation for that?? lol ill upload the files so ya can see what i mean. Same version of dashboss by the way as well.

Attachments

·
HPT Pro Tuner
3,815 Posts
Don't see anything abnormal, but you also took the readings at idle, and just initially after a gas tank fill. there is nothing much to see, LTFT's are worth checking with the car moving, cruising at operational speed for example, varying engine load slightly to see what the fuel trims are doing. That AFR in the logs might be simply commanded AFR? I have a dashhawk, really old model, but i don't use to log, just to watch my fuel trims, ECT and IAT :)

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
You really trust the readings from a phone? The only really accurate AFR tool puts a prong in the exhaust.

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
Camo- he DOES HAVE a wideband o2 sensor "prong" in the exhaust as part of his dashboss build. Dashboss allows for external sensors like boost and EGT and Wideband O2 to be displayed and datalogged alongside the internal PID set that can be gathered from the ODB2 port datastream.

I'd say to compare, do one test loop of all sorts of driving, idle, casual, a few good pulls, maybe a wot or two, followed by some slower stuff and end it. Start with the ipad for this first datalog.

Then set up the iphone with the same 12 datapoints in the same locations (for ease of comparison) and repeat the same test loop. Of course, car will be slightly hotter second time around, as well as if you run into traffic or whatnot, there may be some variance here and there, but should be mainly negligable.

Now from each device, go into the log viewer and email yourself each CSV file, and then from a computer, open up excel and view the data side by side. Again, some variance is expected due to different conditions between runs, but if you did about the same each time, it will be good enough to compare.

Unless you chose a different PID to monitor (for example, absolute throttle position is quite different than normalized throttle position) the data should be the same. The dashboss is still transmitting the car's ECM metrics, and it's also still reading wideband values during all the different parts of your test loop similarly. Idle doesn't really count, since there's no load on the engine. Fuel trims, afr, and all that are more useful when you're driving, as that's more 'real world experience' of the car.

It can help to have the ipad and iphone side by side when setting up your 12 values that you will be monitoring, if you pick the wrong one for one of the cells, then those numbers won't match up at all between them, which could easily explain why you have disjoint data.

--zepcom

·
2009 G8 GXP
446 Posts
I know this post to over a year old but thrying it here to find an answer.

Dashboss has 2 parameters for Engine Oil temp. "Eng Oil Temp F" and "Oil Temp 2". The Atari gauges register only the 2nd one but the 1st one is always 12-15 degrees below the 1st.

What is the difference between the 2 parameters ?

On one of the hot days doing a cross country drive on some country roads the 1st temp pid reported as high as 265 degree F. Is this normal ?

Attached is dashboss screen captures

I also rememeber seeing a thread on G8 dashboss users. anyone know where that is?

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts