Pontiac G8 Forum banner
81 - 100 of 136 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
Success!

This morning I finished up my install of the "bright front turnsignal DRL" conversion on my g8.

EDIT: I DID take a video, but basically, it functions just like the caddilac in the youtube video linked at the bottom of this post.

• When no headlights/parking-lights/remote-start lights are on, this module lights up the bright filiment of the front-facing amber turnsignal bulbs.

• This module turns off when any of the above-listed lights are on, and the normal parking lights illuminate as 'stock'.

• This module pays attention to the blink circuit, and safely allows the blinker and hazard circuits to function, without destructive feedback. When the blinker is complete, the cycle is over, and the bright DRL light comes back on on the side that just completed the blink.
  • I've wired mine with an inline switch so that I could turn this feature off if my mood requires it. :)

This module is very cost-effective (~40 shipped) and is a solid state weatherproof design which means it will last a long time -- plus it has a lifetime warrantee from the manufacturer.

I cannot link directly to the website from here, but some simple sleuthing in the youtube video description will take you right to it, if you know what I mean.

Highly recommended!
I've been waiting for this for several years, ever since I sold my 2000 Z-28 Camaro that had it's DRL lights function the exact same way. :judge:

Here's My video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLn_lmFk__A

·
Registered
80 Posts
Just finished mine up and it looks awesome!!! Took me a little while, but plenty of help from "zepcom" I got it done!!

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
Just finished mine up and it looks awesome!!! Took me a little while, but plenty of help from "zepcom" I got it done!!
Glad I could help you out! I love this mod and wish I would have stumbled upon it earlier!

:)

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
G8 video? Please!

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
I'll try to do one up in 720p sometime this week with my android phone.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Can any one positively confirm the exact fuse to pull to deactivate the DRL's???

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
Can any one positively confirm the exact fuse to pull to deactivate the DRL's???
You didn't even visit my link posted directly above your thread, did you? :slap:

Here's a hint: Look at the 3rd sentence of this link. You take it from there.

Good luck young Jedi.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Check your owners manual. It describes each and every fuse and relay

·
Registered
27 Posts
maybe i've missed this, but has anyone figured out how to delay the HIDs from coming on at night? For instance, when it's dark and you start the car with the headlight switch in auto mode, the headlight flicker when the car is cranking. Is there a way to stop power until the car is running so the ballasts don't take surges when the car is cranking?
In case anyone still was wondering how to do this... there are simple inline modules that you can use to delay the headlights from turning on to fix the flicker at start up... Google VTM1QCD and it will show you a Tyco product that is for 12V application that allows you to delay .5-10 seconds.. just enough time to let your car start all the way at night before it tries to start the headlights

·
Pontiac Enthusiast
216 Posts
For the HID delay, you could make your automatic headlights turn on your brights, rather than your lows. If there is no way to separate out this wire at the fuse box, I would just cut the wires going to the low-beams, and feed them to the high-beams, with appropriate diodes. On each wire that USED to go from the low-beam, but now going to the high-beam, I would splice in a 5-second timed relay that is powered by an ignition source. Once triggered, it would feed power to the low-beams, and cut the feed to the high-beams.

If there was a way to separate the auto headlights in the fuse box, you could do this much easier/cleaner in there, with less splicing. The idea is to feed any auto-headlight-activity while the ignition is off--to the high-beams. Once the car is actually running for 5 seconds, auto-headlight-activity can be fed to your low-beams, just like normal. This should eliminate any sort of start-up issues, as well as courtesy lighting issues.

For the bright-amber DRL solution... I have a 2000 WS6 that works like this. Grab the DRL wire, feed a mechanical relay, which will then supply power to your bright amber filament. If you wanted it to function exactly like my WS6, you could do that with a simple circuit as well. The WS6 uses a BCM to handle this, and is likely why you guys can't figure it out from simple wiring diagrams. You could throw a timed relay in there that was triggered by ANY signal that would normally be sent to the turn signals, (turn or park.) The timed relay would sense the original trigger, and stay triggered (cut DRL,) for X seconds. In my WS6, that is like 0.5 seconds. Then everything would play nice together. The timer relay would normally feed power straight to the high-amber, but when turn/park activity is sensed, it would cut DRL instantly, then the 0.5-second timer would kick in. Assuming the signal for park is on, the DRL would remain cut. Personally I would rather wire it so my ambers are ALWAYS bright, even at night. That would an even simpler wiring-job.

On top of alllll that, everyone keeps talking about DRL and voltage. I could have sworn our cars used PWM for the DRL, not a resistor/voltage reduction circuit.

·
Pontiac Enthusiast
216 Posts
In case anyone still was wondering how to do this... there are simple inline modules that you can use to delay the headlights from turning on to fix the flicker at start up... Google VTM1QCD and it will show you a Tyco product that is for 12V application that allows you to delay .5-10 seconds.. just enough time to let your car start all the way at night before it tries to start the headlights
You could use a timer-relay (or something like the module you link to,) in tandom with my method in my last post about sensing the ignition wire... That way your HIDs won't turn on via courtesy lighting at all.

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
Pull fuse or turn left with the light switch once In order to have all light off during day time.
you forgot "during EVERY DRIVE CYCLE"

No thanks!

I much rather would program it to act the way that I want it to.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Going to give this mod a try because I would love to have some Fog Light DRL's! I just have one question and that's how do I know which purple wire to tap into for the fogs? Or should I just buy a fuse tap and connect the yellow wire with the fuse tap wire?

·
Registered
583 Posts
I tried the fuse tap in method and it didn't work. I want to try the purple wire but I need to make sure I am tapping into the right one. Help would be appreciated guys!

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
70 Posts
I must say, and this is my first post, (helluva introduction lol) that I am thoroughly confused. I want to run my fogs as DRLs. Ive read about the wires, just cant seem to get all the info straight. I cut the yellow, then splice it into a purple?? wire. SOOOO which purple? Then, how will the fogs work at night? will I have to turn them on manually then? Thanx for the help and all the great info I have learned about my new hot rod!!!

81 - 100 of 136 Posts