Pontiac G8 Forum banner
121 - 136 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Ok so reading through all of this (and now brain dead from reading) I don't think I found a an answer for disabling the auto headlights. I'm just looking for them to NOT come on when the car starts, I'm not really looking for a timed delay or anything like that just a straight headlights off unless I turn them on. I should probably say I have an HID kit installed and really don't want to mess it up.

·
Capital City G8 Member
288 Posts
Unplug the fuse under the dash. Done deal.

·
Capital City G8 Member
288 Posts
For what? When it gets dark? You dont want those to turn on?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Well they kinda turn on all the time... and with my HIDs they flicker a bunch when the car cranks on. I just want to disable this feature so that I dont burn up my ballasts and bulbs.

·
Premium Member
1,364 Posts
Well they kinda turn on all the time... and with my HIDs they flicker a bunch when the car cranks on. I just want to disable this feature so that I dont burn up my ballasts and bulbs.
Are you using a relay kit that gets your ballist power direct from the battery? I wired mine direct at first and had start up problems as well but the relay kit fixed all that.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Are you using a relay kit that gets your ballist power direct from the battery? I wired mine direct at first and had start up problems as well but the relay kit fixed all that.
I have a relay harness and error code eliminators that I didn't use, I just figured that they worked just fine but I will try to put that octopus of wires in and see.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Stock the car has three headlight settings: off, DRL (daytime running lights), and on. If you start the car in the dark (car tries to turn headlights on right away), the car tries to turn on the headlights while the engine is cranking. This is fine with incandescent bulbs, but bad for an HID ballast that is trying to fire its HID bulbs. When you have a DRL, the car sends lower voltage (lower amperage really) to the headlight bulbs through the DRL circuit. This is also bad for a HID ballast that is designed to use normal voltage/amps for a headlight.

It sounds like you used the headlight wire to power your ballast. So you have two issues: Low amperage during DRL and flakey voltage while the car is cranking at night. Using the relays that came with your HID kit will give you solid voltage/amperage direct from the battery and solve the DRL problem. You can then hook the rely to the headlight wire like you're using now, but then your HIDs will be on all the time unless you physically turn off your headlights with the headlight switch (on during DRL and on during headlight on). You can pull the DRL fuse, or hook your relay to the headlight on circuit, and then your HIDs will be off during "off" and "drl" and only on with headlights "on".

Many people have found a problem, even using relays to the battery, with HID ballasts not firing when cranking the car in the dark. Even taking power from the battery the ballast gets flakey power during cranking (big engine, battery in trunk probably the reason why).

I got a timed relay on Amazon for I think it was $15. Instead of clicking on instantly like a normal relay, you can dely it from 2 to 10 seconds. I set mine to 4 seconds. So now when I crank the car the parking lights turn on, but the HIDs wait 4 seconds so they dont turn on until the motor is running and providing good solid voltage/amps. Never had an HID not fire.

·
CCG8 Member
1,597 Posts
I want to put a timed relay in my harness for the cranking issue, got the link/part number you used?

·
Registered
719 Posts

Here it is on Amazon:
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/PAC-TR-7-Universal-Trigger-Output/dp/B0002J22BO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1452706312&sr=8-1&keywords=pac+tr7[/ame]

Now that I looked at it again (dont think I opened the fusebox since 2009 lol) I remember I used a fusetap and a special weird fuse adder thing that were like a buck each to install it so I wouldnt have to cut a fuse in half and use that to stick it in.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi all. I am wanting to use my switchbacks as my DRLs but I can't figure out exactly what to do. I still can't figure out where this DRL wire is to even install my resistors to stop the hyperflash of my switchbacks smh

·
Premium Member
1,641 Posts
I'm not gonna read through all the post but who said this didn't work?

What I will tell you is that the wiring harness on a 08 is different from 09 and 09.5. I found out the hard way. Cut the regular yellow cable as I have for a few guys, go to start the car, no bueno. Resolder the wire, and the car started. Never assume, it just made an A$$ out of me.

Follow the directions on page 1, and tap into the passenger side green wire going into the fog light.
I have an M6 GXP and the same thing happened to me.

Except I got to the point where it went into threat deterrent mode: "Security Lockout Active/Vehicle Data Mismatch."

Resoldering the wire back resolved the issue. I even went as far as wiring in multiple diodes so that my DRLs were my turn signals and only the fronts worked (following this guide: http://www.g8board.com/forums/9-ste...lso-flashback-leds-drl-conversion.html#/enter). I'll have to investigate the M6's DRL wire to be sure and compare it to the other models.

Once I find the correct wire then at least everything else is still wired for the final outcome.

Any clue on the correct DRL wire for an M6 GXP?

·
Premium Member
1,641 Posts
Figured out my problem.

Yes, pin 7 on connector X3 (smaller connector) is he correct wire to cut. JUST REMEMBER TO PROPERLY SEAT ALL THREE CONNECTORS (X1, X2, and X3) OR YOU'LL HAVE ELECTRONIC ISSUES.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a '07 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP. I would LOVE to disable my DRLs. I hate those things being on during the day! I know there is no fuse/s to pull. I was simply thinking about taping those senser lights on top of the dash. Thanks

121 - 136 of 136 Posts