Pontiac G8 Forum banner

dealer cant do simple oil change!!!

4K views 37 replies 27 participants last post by  cldub037 
#1 ·
I take my car to chevy dealership oil change they finish up i leave i get home look at receipt says 1 filter 6 quarts like wtf i call dealer and they said it takes 6 and they said dipstick shows full im like bs and hung up bought 2 more bottles and added it in, now the dipstick shows 3 dots on it im on the 2 dot the middle dot do i need another half quart to get to the top dot.. thank you much help appriecated

#2 ·
From my understanding these cars hold 8.8qts of oil. Not sure which dot that would be on the dipstick though.

#12 ·
Save a few $$s as maybe ya don't need the 9th. You've specifically stated you have a "9.1" GT. IF YA MEAN THE 2009.5 late production G8 (blue tooth, rear seat cupholder, etc), then the 2009 G8 Owner Manual, PN92226770B Second Printing is applicable to your car. On Pg 10-2, Capacities and Specifications you find:
Engine oil w/filter: 6.0L V8, 6.2L V8 Engines - 8.0 qt

#9 ·
Always check the dipstick before you leave the dealer!

#10 ·
My first 4 oil changes were free from the dealer, so I used them, but now do my own oil changes. The first oil change, my invoice showed 6 qts. I asked about it before leaving, and their system would only allow 6 qts as a standard oil change for "free", but they put the 8.8 qts in. I accepted that and checked the oil and confirmed the level was right.

#11 ·
As a dealer tech that does a ton of oil changes (60+/week), it appalls me to see when other dealer do things like this. I get in all kinds of stuff that I don't know the capacity of. But all it takes is 2 minutes to look on alldata. What gets me is the dealers who put the same oil in everything no matter if it calls for 5-30, 0-20, 5-20, etc.

Be sure to call the service manager at that dealer and let them know of the mistake. Don't be mad or anything. Just advise him that the tech who changed your oil filled it 3qts low and it's not something that you appreciate.

#14 ·
Have had that happen several times at a Chevy, GMC, Buick, Caddy dealer here locally after service.......he claimed "His system says 6qt, so that's correct by him". His an ignorant douche, and I've asked not to get him each time my G8 needs dealer service.......at one time he was f*in bending the end of the diptstick! I was asking "WTF for??" no answer........

#17 ·
Hello Silvereagle,

I am sorry to hear that you felt you had a bad experience(s) at a GM dealership. I would like to hear more about your service at the dealer. Private message me the details and mention this thread.

Thank you,

Jennifer T,
GM Customer Care

#16 ·
Right - having performed 1000's of oil changes in my past life, run the engine after the change, look for leaks, shut engine off, wait 2 minutes, check level. I mean, how difficult is that to do? Do dealers push their techs so hard that 2 minutes matters? I guess that's part of the problem, and that they think they can do no wrong...

#18 ·
Simple. Do a charge back to the dirt bag dealer for the oil change through your CC, and take your business elsewhere next time.

#19 ·
This is sad, I as well as few people mentioned have done more oil changes then I can count before becoming a tech, I've trained almost all line techs that came to our dealership I always emphasized to start car and pull dipstick. It amazes me how many don't, I always do on any car even if I did it 1000 times, not only to be safe but to give the customer full satisfaction, I always right on our "27 point inspections the engine size and how much oil I put in ad well as the type"

My biggest pet peeve is dealerships and lube places the dont use the correct oil that is rec for the car!!! Because it 10$ more then bulk oil 9 times out of 10 customer declines proper oil!!!

#22 ·
Where is all of this "8.5" coming from? The manual clearly states only 8 quarts for an oil change that includes a filter change.

Also, be sure to let the engine sit off for about two minutes after running it before you ck the oil level on the dipstick. This ensures the oil is pumped into the new filter and then allows for it all to settle back down into the oil pan for an accurate reading on the dipstick.

And finally, and this has been my general understanding, the amount of oil between the dots equals 1 quart. This roughly applies to all vehicles and their dipsticks.

#24 ·
08 GTs have 8.8 recommended while 09GTs have 8. They changed it for some reason and its also able to be seen in teh owners manuals for the 2 years

#25 ·
The last time I bought my 02 Bonneville to the dealer for an oil change it was under their $0.99 promotion for 5 quarts and a filter (That's all it needs). So 2 weeks later, my son noticed oil all over the driveway and I looked under and the oil filter is loose and leaking. That was the last time I left a car there for an oil change. I wonder what they would have done if the engine threw a rod?

#30 ·
Next time they'll end up cross threading / stripping the drain plug in the oil pan. I've seen that happen a few times. They hammer in a rubber bung and call it a day. I do as much work to my car as humanly possible so that no one else touches it. The only other people I want turning wrenches on my car is my tuner, because they actually know what they're doing.

#35 ·
Next time they'll end up cross threading / stripping the drain plug in the oil pan. I've seen that happen a few times.

Fumoto oil drain valve FTW!

#32 ·
You will find that on Model/brand specific car forums. I used to get pissed off, but now I just shrug it off. The guys calling techs "hacks" or "stealerships" are the first ones to whine and ask for help. It is easiest to just put those members on the ignore list and only help the guys who actually have some common sense and realize that not everyone at the dealer is a "no good, hack".

Not referring to anyone on this particular forum, as I haven't been here long. Just my .02 on other forums I belong to. Like a member/tech on another board always says, "My car runs".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.