Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I broke this little piece that is part of my PCV/evap lines. This little some bitch.

It's throwing some CEL codes. But it drives fine. So I decided to take my car to the dealership to see how much this piece costs. I know how much it costs and it takes less than 30 seconds to swap the pieces. But I decided to let them diagnose my car. Dropped it off and told them to call me with the problem and an estimate to fix it. Now let the rip offs begin. They said it could be caused by my aftermarket intake system and that they would have to replace the whole intake before they can begin looking elsewhere. They also said that they can't work on the car with nitrous on it as it is a liability and they won't remove it. So therefore they wanted me to remove my nitrous lines, then bring it back so they could remove my K&N and put in a stock intake, THEN begin looking for the cause of the CELs. I then said I wanted to show them something on my car. I walked to it, removed the little broken thing (no idea what it's called) pointed to the broken line and said "do you think it could be this clearly broken piece of plastic" Some tech said maybe but I'm not sure. I just rolled my eyes then left. So I gave them the benefit of the doubt but as usual, dealerships are just out to rip you off. Disappointed to say the least.

·
Advanced Member
1,202 Posts
Get a soldering gun, a zip tie, and plastic weld it back on.....

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I brought mine to get a seat track replaced 3 weeks ago and they still don't have the part
Wow,

Sorry to hear about that. Was there a reason for the parts delay?

William R.
GM Customer Care

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Wow, dealers are absolutely ridiculous. I'd never trust them to trouble shoot!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
I dont put much into the gm comments. I had one and they where like,be sure to update us on your issue. So I do and no reply. It didn't matter . Its nice to see they are at least reading our complaints. That's a start lol.

·
Registered
223 Posts
LOL .. I'm a Toyota tech.. people bring in vehicles all the time with go fast parts on them.. first thing I do with a CEL, is pull code and look for related issues.. IF and only IF the aftermarket parts are a possibility I bring that up.. but most times it not.. What does nitrous have to do with a code unrelated to a broken line.. are they going to sit and WAP the throttle and hit the button? WTF.. sounds like the tech was being an azz and didn't want to work on the problem.. Gave you the reasons to leave .. I like working on hotrods.. gives me reason to bull***** with customer about horsepower :wiggle:

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
They just wanted a **** load to put back the stock intake too. My only this is. It was blatently obvious what was wrong. That hose is hanging off and you can hear the air whistling around it. I'm dumbfounded that they didn't notice that and say oh hey it's this $50 part. Buy it from us and we'll replace it no charge. Since it takes 10 ****ing seconds.

·
Registered
149 Posts
camo and I went back and forth about dealerships, and I work for one, but I agree with him and valtec. I will work with anyone that comes in modded or not. The modded people are usually better since they know a little something and we can talk.

I understand why you were upset with their diagnosis. For me, I probably, or hopefully would have caught this, but at a dealership I would not expect it. Especially when you knew what was wrong and purposely tried to catch a dealership in a mix up. Im not saying it was your fault, but dealer techs are trained for dealer problems. Regular stuff like stock car problems. I would hope that I would, and usually do pick up on modded cars and try to help, a day ago someone asked if I would put an 03 cobra blower on an 03 gt... I told them to save their money and buy a kb, but the majority or dealer techs go by the dealer/manufacture way.

I just don't understand why people continue to rip on dealers that wont fix modded cars. Remember, all the dealers are franchises, they don't build the cars but they only get repaid for straight up manufacturers problems.

all that being said, if a dealer sucks then **** them, I totally agree with that, don't put up with them just cause they have GM or Ford or Toyota or something in their name

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I went in ready to give them the benefit of the doubt but they let me down. Modded or not, this was a stock piece that broke, clearly visible and audible to the naked eye. But instead of making $50 to replace it, they pulled some other crap on me.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I do not want to make it seem like I love dealers, even though I work for one, but people have to understand where they are coming from. I know of two other guys I work with that like to work on modded cars and we do our best to help everyone.

But, say a person with a beat to **** explorer or caprice comes in with 28 codes and we kind of know what the problem is, but upon seeing the customer and we know they are going to whine no matter what we do. we have to ask that everyone takes off an intake or big rims or something aftermarket so that we don't make a mistake and said customer jumps down our throats for misdiagnosing something that should not have been there to begin with.

Now, what the dealer did to you is dumb and they should know better, Im more so talking in general knowledge of dealerships. I don't want anyone to get screwed over, but I guess I feel this way because I have a performance car and don't have to take it to a shop.

I do like our late night banter, I stay up pretty late, and, even though I work for a dealer, I hope that I can help you or you can help me. Im still learning

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I feel like if they would have used common sense though it would have been such a simple fix.

·
Sarcasm Personified
3,900 Posts
What do you mean?
The fact that you are right about your dealership experience, I went to 6 different ones when I had my G8, and the fact that "GM" comes in here to offer to help someone else other than you. I just found it all comical. I'm on your side man.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I am lucky, one of my best friends is a GM service tech and one of the others is a service manager for one of the dealers in their network, I never worry with them.

·
HPT Pro Tuner
3,815 Posts
No comment for the op William R?
+100, is this William R guy for real ?
My god, where is Michelle ? That lady was interested in us, she would read the posts, understand the concerns, and she'll try to address them in the best way possible. This guy seems like he's making the rounds, and randomly picking a post to justify his hours.

William R, READ the posts, if i was in your position, i'll be interested to check who the dealer was, and report it as lazy azz mfkers, main reason lots of us refuse to get things done at the dealer, and main reason we don't care too much for dealer services anymore, what kind of car would i buy from GM if the dealer cant even look around to find a broken hose ?

It sounds GM doesn't give too much crap about its own dealer network either, because it's obvious this dealership didn't have interest in fixing a problem that could be covered under warranty, and well, they brought you here with a mission, mission that you obviously give 2 rats about it :D

1 - 20 of 43 Posts