Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I just debadged the back of my gt and wanted to do the front until I realized it would leave holes. So, now I want to put something on the back other than the arrow and want to do the front arrow black. Has anyone done this? My gt is black with the stock aluminum wheels. Pretty new here so any help is greatly appreciated!

Chris

· Premium Member
2,891 Posts
You can look for a pontiac dart that is differant, or go to a commordore lion.

· Registered
7,852 Posts
(sigh) Dart.... (shakes head) Kids these days. Stombaugh it is an ARROW HEAD thank you.

But in answer to your question you an either get them filled and the bumper re-sprayed which is what I did. You can see if anyone has any 3rd shift studio "Darts"* laying around cause I think he stopped making them. Or you can get creative with the arrow head that came on your car and either paint it to match, black it out, add a custom center decal over the red part, etc etc.

* The 3rd shift studio's emblem was/is in fact called a dart which is where many misinformed members get the idea that all Pontiac emblems are called darts. All of us true die hard Pontiac fans know they were arrow heads. ;)

· Registered
6,803 Posts

· Premium Member
2,891 Posts

· Registered
6,803 Posts
Now cut off your pinky lol

· Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
haha! Thanks guys, I think I will be ordering the commodore lion for the rear. My next step is blacking out the arrow on the front. I am pretty skeptical about putting a sticker on the red part and would rather paint it black, any sugguestions? I do have the touch up paint that came with my car for minor scratches and was thinking about using that but I am not sure what would be better. Is there a way to cut the red out of it?

· ****cray
2,663 Posts
if your going to put the holden lion on the back, please for the love of
car gods, either have nothing up front ( filled / painted holes ), or get
a holden lion that covers up the holes. whatever you do, dont rock the
g8 with two different emblems.

anywho, here's what i did - crappy cell phone pic, but you get the idea.

· Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How did you do that? That looks awesome! What I have in my head to do with the front is removing the center and just keeping the chrome outline of the arrow since my car is black, that way I don't have to worry about painting it.

· ****cray
2,663 Posts
i got it from a limited run on the board here. if this didnt come along
i would have went with the fill and paint option.

check out ryans work @ grafxwerks, he makes some nice overlays for
the g8/gto crowd.

· Registered
999 Posts
i got it from a limited run on the board here. if this didnt come along
i would have went with the fill and paint option.

check out ryans work @ grafxwerks, he makes some nice overlays for
the g8/gto crowd.
Do you have any other pics? I got mine from the same board member in the quick sale, but haven't gotten around to putting in on yet. It looks sweet holding it up against it, just not sure if I want to pull off the stock one.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

· Registered
617 Posts
I used quiksteel epoxy putty to fill the holes left behind after removing the emblem. I made sure to smooth down the surface as flat & clean as possible (while also acting quickly--the epoxy putty dries fairly fast). I then used color-matched touch up paint, and finally cleaned and waxed the surface. It looks great, and much cleaner front grille than with the arrow, IMHO.

· ****cray
2,663 Posts
Do you have any other pics? I got mine from the same board member in the quick sale, but haven't gotten around to putting in on yet. It looks sweet holding it up against it, just not sure if I want to pull off the stock one.

i dont. all i did was use a heat gun to warm up the badge and adhesive backing. pried gently, and took the oem badge off. that new badge covers the holes, so i didnt fill them in or anything. at first i thought i
was buying an overlay, but once i got it, i could see it was a full
replacement. just take your time with getting the tape off. i had no
residue or fading around the oem badge, and it turned out very nice, imo.

· Registered
999 Posts
I'm wondering if I should use some sort of sealer on the emblem itself first.. The black portion just feels like thread; I have a feeling it'll disintegrate with wind and rain :-\

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

· Registered
7,852 Posts
I used quiksteel epoxy putty to fill the holes left behind after removing the emblem. I made sure to smooth down the surface as flat & clean as possible (while also acting quickly--the epoxy putty dries fairly fast). I then used color-matched touch up paint, and finally cleaned and waxed the surface. It looks great, and much cleaner front grille than with the arrow, IMHO.
This works GREAT as I did it years ago on my M3's front licence plate's holes when I removed it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.