Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
I maek mah avitar :3
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another dilemma before I pull the trigger on new wheels.

Pros of staggered: Looks, additional traction in straight lines

Cons of staggered: Handling (more pronounced understeer)

***Note: Yes I'm aware of tire rotation on a staggered setup
***Another Note: Race cars typically run squares from what I've read

I base this on reading up on other websites, namely BMW sites since it's a hot topic in their world. Lots of debate, lots of physics discussions etc.

I have a V6 (peg leg) which is why I'm debating on whether to go staggered or not. I do wish to lower the car a bit and my really long term goal is to drop an LSD in it but for now, it's all stock.

Here's what I had planned for setups.

-------------------

Staggered setup:

Front

19 x 8.5 + 35
245 40R 19

Rear

19 x 9.5 + 33
275 35R 19

Square setup:

19" x 8.5" + 35
255 40R 19

-------------------

Hell I don't even know if my numbers are correct in the staggered setup, lol. Also, running square will save me between $15 - $300 depending on which wheels I choose.

So what do you guys think? Thanks

·
Registered
928 Posts
Get the staggered set up. The specs you posted are close to what I have and I love mine. You can't beat the look. Of course, at the end of the day..........it doesn't matter what other people like or think, you should get whatever you like.

·
Registered
933 Posts
My summer wheels are a staggered set. Haven't gotten them on 'cause I need to order tires, but I went staggered for looks and I'm more of a straight-line go fast kinda guy.

Might I autocross at some point? yeah... but 90% of the driving I'll do in an average year is normal stuff.

·
Registered
996 Posts
I'm in a similar situation. I'm either doing 18x9.5 squared or a staggered set up. I would really like to do the squared set up but the staggered guarantees I won't have fitment issues. For you I would say go with the staggered set up...

My summer wheels are a staggered set. Haven't gotten them on 'cause I need to order tires, but I went staggered for looks and I'm more of a straight-line go fast kinda guy.

Might I autocross at some point? yeah... but 90% of the driving I'll do in an average year is normal stuff.
What set up are you running?

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
I went back and forth on this same question over the last 2 weeks, and I decided to stagger again.

However, this time I am going to run 275/40 on all 4 corners, in hope to not lose much cornering.

·
Registered
996 Posts
I went back and forth on this same question over the last 2 weeks, and I decided to stagger again.

However, this time I am going to run 275/40 on all 4 corners, in hope to not lose much cornering.
18x9.5 on all four corners? What offsets?

·
Registered
996 Posts

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
The group buy price is good.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
I would go squared. If you had a GT with gobs of power, sure do staggered for higher grip out the back but like you stated having a wider rear track won't really gain you anything except for looks. Plus you can rotate and save some money for even better tires. My 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
4,210 Posts
I personally don't rotate tires, so staggered will always be my choice. It really looks good on our cars and reinforces what we have under the hood. I have seen some squared set ups in person and it looks great so really you cant go wrong either way.

·
Registered
805 Posts
I was in the boat the past couple of months. Finally pulled the trigger today and had Elliott at Modbargains set me up with some staggered 19" M310's, just like Agose ^
I just hope picking out tires is easier than wheels, my head still hurts from trying to decide on wheels.

·
Premium Member
4,210 Posts
I was in the boat the past couple of months. Finally pulled the trigger today and had Elliott at Modbargains set me up with some staggered 19" M310's, just like Agose ^
I just hope picking out tires is easier than wheels, my head still hurts from trying to decide on wheels.

Nice score! They are going to look great!! I get compliments all the time. As for tires that shouldn't be as hard. There are a ton of threads with good feed back on all makes and models. It just comes down to your budget and need for All Season/Summer Only.

For me I always search for the widest tread width/highest consumer feed back ratings/best price given features. I will say to stay away from the Hankook Ventus V12. For the price it's not a bad tire at all, I just wore through mine in about 16000 miles on the fronts. I'm on my second set of fronts (Hankooks) while my rear Conti DW havent been touched in over 2 years.

·
Premium Member
6,951 Posts
Hah, I am debating staggered vs non-staggered? 19s or 20s? I like the Camaro wheels, but don't necessarily want them staggered. I like the 19" GT wheels, but tires are more expensive. A classic six in one hand and half a dozen in the other scenario.

·
Registered
805 Posts
I run winter tires on my stock GT 19's so these M310 rims and new tires will be summer only. Narrowed down to Michelin Super Sports (most $$$ but best performance), Nitto NT05 ($$ and not best in rain) or NT555 (less $ and good performance) or BFG g-Force Sport Comp-2's (good $ and good performance)

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Dont forget to lump the Mickey Thompson Street Comps in your list if summer only. Same price range as some of those.

·
Registered
40 Posts
My inexperience may push forward by asking this, but how does the staggered setup affect the handling? I am considering staggered set of Camaro wheels...

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Understeer is typically greater (where you turn and yet your car pushes straight some).

This is only notice in hard core corning/driving, typically something you won't do on the streets.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Looks like the MT's only come in a 285/35 for the back, think I'll have to roll the fenders if I'm lowered on Eibachs or Tein springs?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts