Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe I am getting old or I just want something different, but I took off my tails today to ship them off to solo.

You really cant beat the deal they offer, figured even if I bought just the j's I would still have to pay someone to weld it and purchase 2 more band clamps.

Going to take the car home tonight with no tails and see how bad it is, so far moving it around the yard it almost sounded the same with no tailpipes at all.

Looking forward to changing the car up a bit, hopefully it does not become TOO quiet!

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
Maybe I am getting old or I just want something different, but I took off my tails today to ship them off to solo.

You really cant beat the deal they offer, figured even if I bought just the j's I would still have to pay someone to weld it and purchase 2 more band clamps.

Going to take the car home tonight with no tails and see how bad it is, so far moving it around the yard it almost sounded the same with no tailpipes at all.

Looking forward to changing the car up a bit, hopefully it does not become TOO quiet!

It's about time!! Can't tell from your signature if you have V2 or something else... for me, the V2 kit plus J's made it a bit too quiet for my personal liking. I then went down to "Mach Balanced" +J which restored the sound I was looking for. Now my latest is Mach Unbalanced to get that 'lope' that I loved from the Dukes of Hazard days of my childhood. I also have the HF cats too, for what it's worth.

You will not be disappointed with the J's though. You'll notice how the "noise" that you were used to is now gone, that noise was considered drone. The throaty exhaust sounds should still be there when you 'get on it' but any drone will now be elliminated.

Good luck!

--zep

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
I thought about having J's put on my V1, hope the v2 is not THAT quiet
I think "Mach Unbalanced" = V1. That's what I have now and I love it.

Well, see how it fits you after being installed. The v1+J is where it's at, in my opinion... adding the extra T and X pipe wasn't the answer to the drone, it was the J's.

Then and again, if your car didn't drone "much" without the J's, you may be perfectly happy with the new sound with v2+J.

If there's one thing I learned from all the SOLO R&D, it's that not all G8's are created equal!

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the change of tone has really annoyed me the last 2 weeks, I dont know if its build up in the exhaust or the change in temperature, or I am getting grumpy- but I decided to change it up a bit.

I dont want it TOO quiet, if it turns out to be too quiet I might just end up cutting the js off and putting them on the v1

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so UPS picked these up from me Wednesday, would you believe I got a email from Solo saying they already sent them back with a tracking number!

Now that is some fast service!

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got my pipes back today, already put them back on.

I only started the car and moved it outside so I have no impressions yet.

UPS picked these up Wednesday afternoon. I do not get UPS on Monday because my shop is closed. Back on the car Tuesday- that is pretty darn fast if you ask me!

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
any new info to report?

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have only driven it round trip to and from work, so far I am finding it a bit too quiet.
It has a even more refined sound to it, but I think I need it louder.
My system is the V2 with j's, which they advertise as the quietest system around.

I might put my v1 back on, but I want to give this a few days to see if I like it

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
IT'd be interesting to measure the "connection point" near the rear axle on each v1 and v2 kits ... could you just swap your v1 onto your car and then put your new J rear assemblies to good use?

Or are there different lengths/angles/tolerances between v1 and v2 in the rear section?

I wouldn't know, when I went from v1 to v2, mine was done inline by hacking/welding in the necessary bits to form a v2 kit, then J's were developed and added later to my car.

With any luck that would rock. If not, then just leave your v2 kit on the car have a local exhaust shop remove the "T" section in front of your solo muff. (and weld in caps to seal up each pipe where the T used to be) Now with the new J's and with minimal effort, you have a "Mach Unbalanced" which is what I currently have. It's awesome. Lope like the v1 kit, and plenty of rumble to let you know it's a performance exhaust, yet still no drone due to the J's.

--zep

·
Registered
220 Posts
I parked the car for the winter and I asked Jeff about that this spring. He said the jig was set up differently so I had to have the Js installed on the V1 tails. I lucked out big time. Got to watch the system evolve and he gave me a hell of a deal on the Js and the CATs. Can't say enough good things about the SOLO guys.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I also asked and commented about the j's on the v1, you can obviously do it but you cant send it into them to do, must be done while lining it up on your car, jig wont work, tails on v1 and v2 are different.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have only driven it round trip to and from work, so far I am finding it a bit too quiet.
It has a even more refined sound to it, but I think I need it louder.
My system is the V2 with j's, which they advertise as the quietest system around.

I might put my v1 back on, but I want to give this a few days to see if I like it

When you say it is 'too quiet'. Do you mean from inside, outside, or both? I currently have the V2 w/o the j's, but have been considering getting the j's due to business travel. I'm only hesitant because I don't want to cut down too much on the sound outside the car, which is just about perfect for my taste.

How did the j's affect the overall sound at startup and outside the car under normal driving conditions? How much difference do you really notice inside the car?

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
inside the car huge difference, I used to be able to tell my speed by the sound of the exhaust.
Outside the car is definitely quieter, my wife cant hear me coming home anymore.

I drive it everyday but mostly stop and go, I got it on the highway this weekend and it makes the car much quieter and refined but it definitely takes away that raw sound.
Thinking of chopping off the cap in front of the muffler or going back to V1

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
inside the car huge difference, I used to be able to tell my speed by the sound of the exhaust.
Outside the car is definitely quieter, my wife cant hear me coming home anymore.

I drive it everyday but mostly stop and go, I got it on the highway this weekend and it makes the car much quieter and refined but it definitely takes away that raw sound.
Thinking of chopping off the cap in front of the muffler or going back to V1
Getting rid of that "T" fitting connecting both pipes just forward of the SOLO muffler and patching the two resultant holes will get you nearly a V1 kit, and get nearly all the 'missing sound' back that you desire.

I highly recommend finding a qualified local exhaust shop and having them do that to your existing v2 setup. You will not be disappointed!

·
'Mod'erator
4,887 Posts
I think I'm going to get the J's now also. I'm also going to cut out the T pipe section and complete my Reversal to the V1. I've already chopped out the V2's X-pipe so I might as well go the distance.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
well I still have my V1, rather then pay a shop to chop up a perfectly good V2 I would just put the V1 back on, but I had thought about removing just the t-cap in front of the muffler of the V2

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
well I still have my V1, rather then pay a shop to chop up a perfectly good V2 I would just put the V1 back on, but I had thought about removing just the t-cap in front of the muffler of the V2
That's what I meant. You said that the J pipes don't exactly fit the V1 kit, so first solution would be to remove the T fitting on your existing v2 system (while still on the car, much less labor involved) and if that doesn't work out, then take off the v2 kit and install your v1 kit and see if the J's fit that kit. I kinda think that they're a little different length between the v1 and v2 kits, but your mileage may vary.

It would take a competent shop about 30 minutes to remove that T and weld in plugs, hardly any cost at all. Maybe $50 bucks?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts